Mozzarella sticks are among the most famous foods served in Sonic fast food chains. Today, we will replicate a Sonic mozzarella sticks recipe at home.
To make Sonic mozzarella sticks at home, you need mozzarella string cheese, flour, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, black pepper, salt, and oil. Cover your cheese block with flour, egg wash, and then with the breadcrumbs.
To make the best sticks, refrigerate the cheese sticks for two hours and then deep fry them in a pan. Freezing will bind the coating nicely and will not let the cheese fall.
You will enjoy every bite of the crispy copycat recipe of Sonic mozzarella sticks. To taste the freshness of crispy mozzarella sticks, serve them right after making them.
You can make this copycat recipe with just a handful of spices. To know more about the list of equipment, ingredients, nutritional information, and steps, follow the entire article. Moreover, check out the links for other starter recipes mentioned below.
What's In The Post
Other Recipes That You Can Try
- Vegan Banana Peel Bacon Recipe
- Easy Christmas Popcorn Recipe
- Sumptuous Baked Brie With Pecans Recipe
- Scrumptious Turkey Carcass Soup Recipe
- Classic Pimento Cheese Sausage Balls Recipe
- Best Classic Bread Dressing Recipe
- Grandma’s Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Tofu Soup Recipe
- Savory Flatbread Crackers Recipe
- Chewy Sujebi Recipe
What Are The Tips To Make The Best Sonic Mozzarella Sticks?
Making the best Sonic-style mozzarella sticks can be achieved by following these tips:
- Use The Right Type Of Cheese – Use whole-milk mozzarella cheese for the best flavor and texture.
- Freeze The Cheese Before Coating – Freeze the cheese sticks for at least 1-2 hours before coating them. It will help prevent the cheese from melting too quickly when frying.
- Use Seasoned Breadcrumbs – Seasoned breadcrumbs will add extra flavor to the coating. For added flavor, you can add spices like garlic powder, paprika, or Italian seasoning.
- Double-Coat The Sticks – Dip the frozen cheese sticks into the egg wash and seasoned breadcrumbs. Repeat the process a second time for an extra crispy coating.
- Fry At The Right Temperature – Fry the mozzarella sticks in hot oil at 375°F (190°C) for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve With Marinara Sauce – Serve the hot mozzarella sticks with a side of warm marinara sauce for dipping.
By following these tips, you can make the best Sonic-style mozzarella sticks that are crispy and gooey on the inside. Enjoy!
How Do You Keep Mozzarella Sticks From Falling Apart?
There are several things you can do to prevent mozzarella sticks from falling apart during cooking:
- Freeze Them Properly – Before cooking, freeze the mozzarella sticks for 30 minutes to firm up the cheese. It will help prevent the cheese from melting too quickly and oozing out of the coating during cooking.
- Coat Them Properly – Coat the mozzarella sticks properly with the breadcrumb mixture. Be sure to press the coating firmly onto the cheese to create a tight seal that will help keep the cheese from escaping.
- Fry Them At The Right Temperature – Ensure the oil is heated to the correct temperature (around 375°F/190°C) before frying the mozzarella sticks. Frying at too low a temperature can cause the cheese to melt too quickly and ooze out of the coating.
- Don’t Overcrowd The Pan – Fry the mozzarella sticks in small batches to prevent overcrowding, which can cause the sticks to stick together and fall apart.
- Avoid Flipping Too Often – Avoid flipping the mozzarella sticks too often during cooking. It can cause the coating to loosen and fall off.
Following these tips can help prevent mozzarella sticks from falling apart and ensure a delicious, crispy result.
Which Is Best For Sonic Mozzarella Sticks: String Mozzarella Cheese Or Block Mozzarella Cheese?
For Sonic Mozzarella Sticks, it is best to use block mozzarella cheese rather than string cheese. It is because block mozzarella cheese is firmer and has a lower moisture content than string cheese, making it less likely to ooze out of the coating when fried.
String cheese, on the other hand, has a higher moisture content and tends to melt faster than block cheese, which can cause the cheese to ooze out of the coating during frying. It can lead to a messier and less appealing final product.
Therefore, it is recommended to use block mozzarella cheese when making Sonic-style mozzarella sticks for a more consistent and satisfying texture.
Can I Bake Mozzarella Sticks Instead Of Frying?
You can bake mozzarella sticks instead of frying them for a healthier version. Here’s how to bake mozzarella sticks:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons of milk in a shallow dish to make an egg wash.
- Mix 1 cup of seasoned Italian breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder in another shallow dish.
- Dip the frozen mozzarella sticks into the egg wash, ensuring they are completely coated.
- Next, roll the coated sticks in the breadcrumb mixture until fully coated.
- Place the coated mozzarella sticks on the prepared baking sheet and lightly spray them with cooking spray.
- Bake the mozzarella sticks for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the coating is crispy.
- Serve the hot mozzarella sticks with your favorite dipping sauce.
Baking mozzarella sticks is a healthier alternative to frying, but they may not be as crispy as fried ones. However, they are still delicious snack that is easy to make at home.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Sonic Mozzarella Sticks?
- Skillet – Fry the sticks in a large skillet until brown and crispy.
- Bowls – Use separate mixing bowls to mix the coating mixture.
- Tong – To cook mozzarella sticks from both sides, flip them using a tong.
- Plate – Put coated sticks on a plate to freeze them before frying.
- Paper Towel – Put your fried mozzarella sticks on a paper towel to strain off the excess oil.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Sonic Mozzarella Sticks?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||15 Minutes||20 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Sonic Mozzarella Sticks?
- Mozzarella String Cheese – Prefer using mozzarella strings or block cheese as it doesn’t ooze out.
- Egg – Use egg coating for breading the mozzarella sticks.
- Flour – To prepare the coating, use all-purpose flour.
- Bread Crumbs – Coat the second layer of sticks with bread crumbs to add a crunchy texture.
- Italian Seasoning – Add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning to the breadcrumbs mixture. The seasoning will add aromatic flavors.
- Garlic Powder – You can use garlic powder seasoning for dry rubs. Mix a teaspoon of garlic powder in the breadcrumbs mixture. It will brighten up the flavors.
- Black Pepper – Add a tangy and spicy touch by adding black pepper.
- Salt – As cheese strings dance in natural salt, add a teaspoon to the breadcrumbs accordingly.
- Marinara Sauce – Serve your Sonic mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce. You can try any other sauce of your choice as well.
- Oil – Use any vegetable oil to fry the mozzarella sticks.
Steps To Make Sonic Mozzarella Sticks
Step 1- Take three small bowls to prepare coating. Add one cup of flour to one of the bowl.
Step 2- Beat two eggs in another bowl until thick.
Step 3- Add one cup of breadcrumbs in the third bowl. Now add one teaspoon each of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Mix it all well.
Step 4- Add the mozzarella blocks to the flour and apply some flour to it.
Step 5- Now, dip the mozzarella sticks into the egg mixture.
Step 6- At last swirl, the egg-coated sticks into the breadcrumbs mixture.
Step 7- Dip these mozzarella sticks into the egg mixture one more time. Coat the sticks into the breadcrumbs again for a crispy texture.
Step 8- Put them on a plate and freeze for two hours before frying. Freezing the cheese sticks before frying will ensure the cheese doesn’t fall off the shell.
Step 9- Heat the oil on the skillet. Add refrigerated mozzarella sticks and fry them.
Step 10- Keep frying them for 3 to five minutes from both sides until golden brown.
Step 11- Once fried, place them on the paper towel to remove excess oil.
Step 12- Our ooey-gooey Sonic mozzarella sticks are ready to serve with marinara sauce.
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
How Will Sonic Mozzarella Sticks Look And Taste Like?
Sonic mozzarella sticks are long and thin sticks with a golden-brown crust on the outside. You’ll find a gooey layer of melted mozzarella cheese in the center when you break them.
They are a delightful combination of crispy texture and cheesy goodness. The sticks are salty and cheesy, best served with a spicy and tangy sauce. Overall, it’s the best snack for your cheese cravings.
How To Reheat Sonic Mozzarella Sticks?
To reheat mozzarella sticks, follow these simple steps:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the frozen or refrigerated mozzarella sticks on the prepared baking sheet and space them out evenly.
- Bake the mozzarella sticks in the preheated oven for 6-8 minutes if refrigerated or 10-12 minutes frozen until the cheese is melted and the coating is crispy.
- Once the mozzarella sticks are heated through and crispy, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the hot mozzarella sticks with your favorite dipping sauce.
Alternatively, you can reheat mozzarella sticks in an air fryer, giving them an even crispier texture. Place the mozzarella sticks in the air fryer basket and cook for 5-7 minutes at 375°F (190°C), shaking the basket occasionally to ensure even cooking.
By reheating Sonic mozzarella sticks properly, you can enjoy them again as if they were freshly made.
How To Store These Sonic Mozzarella Sticks?
If you have leftover Sonic mozzarella sticks, storing them correctly is important to maintain their quality and freshness. Here’s how to store mozzarella sticks:
- Cool Them Down – Allow the mozzarella sticks to cool down to room temperature before storing them. It will help prevent moisture buildup, which can make the coating soggy.
- Store Them In An Airtight Container – Place the cooled mozzarella sticks in an airtight container, such as a plastic or glass container with a tight-fitting lid. It will help prevent them from drying out and absorbing unwanted odors from the fridge.
- Label The Container – Label the container with the date you stored the mozzarella sticks, so you can track how long they have been stored.
- Refrigerate Them – Store the container of mozzarella sticks in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Do not freeze the mozzarella sticks, as the texture of the cheese and coating may be compromised when thawed.
- Reheat Them Properly – When reheating the mozzarella sticks, use an oven or air fryer to ensure the coating remains crispy, and the cheese is melted. Do not reheat them in the microwave, making the coating soggy.
Following these storage tips, you can enjoy leftover Sonic mozzarella sticks without compromising their quality or taste.
Sonic Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
- 1 Skillet
- 3 Bowls
- 1 Tong
- 1 Plate
- 2 Paper Towels
- 1 packet Mozzarella Strings
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 cup Flour
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Marinara Sauce
- Take three small bowls to prepare coating. Add one cup of flour to one of the bowl.
- Beat two eggs in another bowl until thick.
- Add one cup of breadcrumbs in the third bowl. Now add one teaspoon each of Italian seasoning, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Mix it all well.
- Add the mozzarella blocks to the flour and apply some flour on it.
- Now, dip the mozzarella sticks into the egg mixture.
- At last swirl, the egg-coated sticks into the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Dip these mozzarella sticks into the egg mixture one more time. Coat the sticks into the breadcrumbs again for a crispy texture.
- Put them on a plate and freeze for two hours before frying. Freezing the cheese sticks before frying will ensure the cheese doesn’t fall off the shell.
- Heat the oil on the skillet. Add refrigerated mozzarella sticks and fry them.
- Keep frying them for 3 to five minutes from both the sides until golden brown.
- Once fried, place them on the paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Our ooey-gooey Sonic mozzarella sticks are ready to serve with marinara sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What ingredients are needed to make Sonic mozzarella sticks?
To make Sonic-style mozzarella sticks, you’ll need mozzarella cheese sticks, all-purpose flour, seasoned salt, garlic powder, paprika, eggs, milk, and seasoned bread crumbs.
Can I bake the mozzarella sticks instead of frying them?
Yes, you can bake the mozzarella sticks in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 8-10 minutes.
How should I serve the mozzarella sticks?
Serve the mozzarella sticks hot with various dipping sauce, such as marinara sauce, ranch dressing, or garlic aioli.
How can I store any leftover mozzarella sticks?
If you have leftover mozzarella sticks, let them cool completely before placing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Prepare Sonic mozzarella sticks at home by following the recipe. Let us know your cooking experience in the comment section below.