Thanksgiving is sure majorly about a big fat turkey, but it feels incomplete without side dishes. To elevate your Thanksgiving table to another level, you must try out this easy slow cooker green beans recipe. It not only looks gorgeous sitting beside turkey, but it’s also packed with gorgeous flavors.
I believe that side dishes are the most fun part of any meal. You can show your creativity with them and add a lot more value to your meal. That’s why choosing your side dishes wisely is as important as your main course.
Therefore, I’m going to share with you an amazing side dish recipe that will make your Thanksgiving meal extra special. To make a slow cooker green beans recipe, you will need green beans, chicken broth, yellow onion, bacon, salt, and pepper.
This dish is super easy to prepare. You need all ten minutes to get all the ingredients together, and you can leave it to cook slowly in a slow cooker. To make this recipe, we make the best use of fresh green beans. But you can also make this dish using canned beans.
If you plan on using canned beans for this, keep in mind that they will take less time to cook. So, let’s check out this delicious slow cooker green beans recipe.
Other Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Try
- Maple Bourbon Smash
- Cranberry Spice Cocktail
- Buttermilk Spoon Bread
- Scalloped Oysters
- Baked Brie With Pecans
- Roasted Parsnips And Carrots
- Sweet Potato Rolls
- Pear Pie
- Pecan Cheesecake Pie
- Smoked Turkey Breast
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Slow Cooker Green Beans?
- Slow Cooker – You will need a slow cooker to cook the green beans.
- Spatula – A spatula or ladle will help you stir the ingredients.
- Bowl – You will need a bowl to wash and keep your green beans for trimming.
- Cutting Board – A cutting board will help you place the green beans while trimming.
- Non- Stick Cooking Spray – A cooking spray will be required to grease the slow cooker.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Slow Cooker Green Beans?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||6 Hours||6 hours 10 minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Slow Cooker Green Beans?
- Green Beans – To make a slow cooker green beans recipe, the most important ingredient is green beans. You will need two lb. green beans to serve 6-8 people. Before the beans go into the cooker, make sure to wash them properly and trim them.
- Bacon – In this slow cooker green beans recipe, we use real bacon crumbled pieces which provide a smoky flavor to the dish. Here we will use 2.8 ounces or ¾ cup of real bacon pieces.
- Onions – Onions help to make food a lot more flavorful with their sharp and unique flavor. While there are wide varieties available in the market that differ in taste, in this recipe, we will use half-sliced yellow onion. This onion variety is easily available and lends a mild and not-so-overpowering flavor.
- Chicken Broth – To cook the green beans, we will need two cups of chicken broth. It will add beautiful flavors to this dish as it is made using herbs, spices, and seasonings.
- Salt – We will use three teaspoons of kosher salt to balance the savory flavors.
- Pepper – Half a teaspoon of black pepper will add mild heat to the dish.
Steps To Make Slow Cooker Green Beans
1. Prepare the Slow Cooker
Lightly spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray that will prevent your ingredients from sticking to the base.
2. Cook The Beans
Transfer green beans to a slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth, onion, salt, pepper, and half of the bacon pieces in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for 4 to 6 hours or on low heat for 6 to 8 hours until the beans turn tender to your liking. Stir the beans a couple of times during cooking. Serve the slow-cooked green beans topped with the remaining bacon pieces.
How To Trim Green Beans?
Fresh green beans are firm and snap when bent in half. Before adding them to any dish, we should trim off the tough ends of the green beans and also pull out the fibrous strip along the edge of each bean, if desired.
Fresh green beans come with tough ends attached. These ends don’t give a nice mouthfeel. Therefore, breaking each bean in half or thirds allows them to cook faster. Moreover, they become easier to eat.
Whole beans sure look great, and you might spot them served as a whole at restaurants. But to use them as a whole, only young beans should be selected as they are easier to chew.
When using mature green beans, it’s best to trim the ends. You can do so by using your thumb and forefinger to remove and discard about ¼ inch of the pointy ends on each side of the green beans. Additionally, you can snap the green beans in half using your hands.
While the above method is good for working out a small batch, you can use kitchen scissors to trim and cut a larger green bean batch. This method turns out to be a less tiring process.
Can You Use Frozen Green Beans?
Yes, you can use frozen green beans to make this dish. However, make sure to use the frozen extra fine whole green beans. Also, keep in mind that frozen beans may take a little longer to cook.
Can You Use Canned Green Beans?
Yes, you can use canned green beans. However, you will have to drastically lower the cooking time because canned green beans are already soft. But this would also result in your beans soaking fewer flavors as they want as much time as fresh green beans do.
How To Make Slow Cooker Green Beans Vegetarian
To make this recipe vegetarian, you can remove bacon from your ingredients list and use olive oil to saute the onions and garlic. In addition to that, you can swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
|Saturated Fat||2 grams|
|Vitamin C||19 milligram|
What Will The Slow Cooker Green Beans Look And Taste Like?
Now that you have gone through the slow cooker green beans recipe, you might be wondering what this dish will look like. So, here’s what you get. Slow-cooked green beans remind us of the traditional green beans our grandmothers used to make.
This dish looks super appetizing, with green-colored beans topped with bacon pieces. As for the taste, the green beans have a tender mouthfeel. The beans take on mouthwatering flavors of bacon, onions, and flavorful chicken broth.
Slow Cooker Green Beans Recipe
- 2 lb. Green Beans
- 2.8 ounces Bacon Pieces
- ½ Yellow Onion Sliced
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 3 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Lightly spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray that will prevent your ingredients from sticking to the base.
- Transfer green beans to a slow cooker. Stir in chicken broth, onion, salt, pepper, and half of the bacon pieces in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 4 to 6 hours or on low heat for 6 to 8 hours until the beans turn tender to your liking.
- Stir the beans a couple of times during cooking.
- Serve the slow-cooked green beans topped with the remaining bacon pieces.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What ingredients do we need to make slow-cooker green beans?
To make slow cooker green beans, you will need green beans, bacon, onion, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
How long does it take to cook green beans in a slow cooker?
Slow cooker green beans take 6-8 to cook on low heat and 4-6 hours on medium heat.
Can you overcook beans in a slow cooker?
Green beans can get overcooked in a slow cooker if left on high heat. Green beans should be cooked on low heat for about 6-8 hours. You should also stir them every 30-60 minutes.
Slow-cooked green beans are always a crowd-pleaser, and they’re the perfect easy side dish to make for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Try out this recipe and tell me how your experience was in the comments section below. If you plan to cook up a meal this holiday season, check out our recipes section for delectable holiday season special recipes.