Are you bored of eating apple pie? Then I have something which you will love and it can replace your apple pie also. You want to know what is it? It is shepherd pie.
I learned the shepherd pie recipe from my uncle who has a Pie Café where he sells different varieties of pies. When I went to his café for the first time, he suggested me shepherd pie as the best pie.
I ordered shepherd pie and I found it delicious. I asked him about the recipe and luckily he gave me. Today, I was thinking about what to make for breakfast and I thought to make shepherd Pie.
While making my breakfast, I thought to share the shepherd pie recipe with my lovely people over here.
To make shepherd pie at home, start by preparing potato topping from mashed potatoes, half and half, cheese, and spices. For the meat filling, sear minced beef and garlic, chopped onion until tender.
Add the veggies and all-purpose flour, pour in broth and paste, season with spices, and herbs. Cook the mixture a few minutes until no clumps are left.
In a baking dish, pour the meat mixture and spread mashed potatoes on the top. Bake the mixture for 30 minutes and serve hot.
When it comes to making a shepherd pie, you can made it with lamb or even chicken. You can also add in different vegetables, depending on what you have on hand or what you prefer.
One popular way to make shepherd pie is to replace russet mashed potatoes with sweet potatoes. This gives the dish a sweetness that contrasts nicely with the savory flavors of the meat and vegetables.
So, if you are looking for a delicious and hearty shepherd pie recipe, you have come to the right place. This guide will give you everything you need to know to make the perfect shepherd pie.
But first, I’ve mentioned some other cherry pie recipes that I think you should definitely try at your home.
1. Lemon Meringue Pie– An incredible, classic sweet and tart dessert, lemon meringue pie is more like a sweet dream. The pie filling surely makes you crazy, prompting you to have it over and over again. Nothing can beat a simple and quick-to-make lemon meringue pie.
2. Sausage Pie– Sausage Pie is a vintage recipe that has a flaky crust, and a savory sausage cheese base. This easy sausage pie recipe is so easy to make and requires just a few ingredients.
3. Meat Pie– These meat pies are delicious pastries filled with minced beef, pork, potato and onion. The pastry is slightly flaky and very rich in flavor, the filling is moist and very flavorful.
4. Seafood Pie– The good thing about this pie is that it is very adaptable- add your favorite seafood and dial-up or down the creaminess by adjusting the amount of cream.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Shepherd Pie?
- Oven – Bake the meat and potato mixture in the oven for 30 minutes until browned and bubbling.
- Baking Dish – Layer the meat mixture and potato topping in a baking dish.
- Skillet – In a skillet prepare the meat filling by sauté the veggies and minced beef.
- Pot – Boil the potatoes in a pot containing water until tender.
- Potato Masher – Mash the potato mixture using a potato masher for a fluffier and lighter pie.
- Peeler – Peel the potatoes with a peeler before boiling.
- Knife – Cut the veggies, slice the beef into chunks, and mince the herbs using a sharp knife.
- Grater – Shred the parmesan cheese using a grater for the topping.
- Chopping Board – Chop the veggies and mince the beef on a chopping board for fine cutting.
- Colander – Drain the water from the pot containing cooked potatoes using a colander.
- Spatula – Spread the potato mixture on the meat filling using a spatula.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Shepherd Pie?
To make Shepherd Pie you need to have patience because it takes some time. So let’s see how much time does Shepherd Pie takes to prepare.
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||50 Minutes||1 Hour 10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Shepherd Pie?
For Meat Filling
- Olive Oil – Sauté the veggies and sear the beef in olive oil until brown.
- Tomato Paste – Tomato paste will help thicken the meat filling, adding sweetness to the pie.
- Beef Broth – Beef broth will add depth of flavor and help create a smooth and decadent pie filling consistency.
- Worcestershire Sauce – Due to its savory and umami flavor, Worcestershire sauce is one of the best ways to spike up the flavor in your pie.
- Ground Beef – Sear minced beef to give the pie an umami flavor.
- Yellow Onion – Add chopped yellow onions while searing the beef to add sweetness to the pie.
- Mixed Peas – Add mixed peas to give a sweet and savory notes to the pie.
- Corn Kernels – Add sweet corn kernels to add a sweet with a soft and buttery flavor when you cook it.
- All-Purpose Flour – All-purpose flour is an easy solution to thicken the filling, making it bright and clear, and giving it a stippled and somewhat sticky texture.
- Parsley Leaves – Parsley will add a bright and slightly bitter taste that serves as a contrast to emphasize the other flavors in a dish.
- Rosemary Leaves – Add minced rosemary leaves for giving the pie citrusy, peppery, and minty flavor.
- Thyme Leaves – Season the filling with the thyme leaves to add a touch of earthiness.
- Garlic – Sauté minced garlic with onion to add a spicy flavor to the pie.
- Salt – Season you filling with salt to enhance the flavors of the ingredients.
- Ground Pepper – Black pepper will add a pungent and earthy flavor that pairs well with savory pie.
For Potato Topping
- Unsalted Butter – Adding unsalted butter to the mashed potatoes will help make the starchy texture of potatoes richer and eliminates that “cling” some potatoes get when they’re freshly mashed.
- Parmesan Cheese – Parmesan cheese will add a hard and gritty texture with fruity and nutty taste.
- Half And Half – Half-and-half will add richness to the topping.
- Russet Potatoes – The russet potatoes are perfectly cooked and mashed as they are light, fluffy and chewy when cooked.
- Garlic Powder – Adding garlic powder to the mashed potatoes will help provide the moisture in the potatoes.
- Salt – Add about half a teaspoon of salt to the mashed potatoes to bring out the flavors.
- Black Pepper – Use black pepper as an ingredient in mashed potatoes to add spicy flavor.
Steps To Make Shepherd Pie
1. Dice Them All
Peel the potatoes and cut them into halves. Slice the beef into chunks, and mince the onion and rosemary sprig.
2. For Meat Filling
In a large skillet, heat olive oil at medium heat for 2 minutes. When the oil is heated, add chopped onions and cook them for 5 minutes.
Add sliced ground beef with parsley, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, until the meat is browned.
Now pour in Worcestershire sauce and add garlic. Combine the mixture by stirring continuously and cook for a minute.
Gradually stir in the all-purpose flour and tomato paste with corn kernels, beef broth and peas. Stir well until no tomato paste and broth clumps remain.
Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes and set the meat mixture aside.
3. For Potato Toppings
In a large pot, add potatoes with water and boil them for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Once potatoes are boiled, drain them using a colander.
Add them again in the same pot with butter, half and half, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Mash the potatoes with a potato masher accordingly and add shredded parmesan cheese, stir it occasionally.
4. For The Assembling Of Casserole
In a baking dish, pour the meat mixture and spread it in a layer and with a spatula. Spread mashed potatoes on the top of the meat.
Bake the mixture for 30 minutes until browned and bubbling and serve hot. Finally, shepherd pie is ready to make you replace your apple pie.
How Will Shepherd Pie Look And Taste Like?
When it comes to comfort food, few dishes can compete with shepherd pie. This warm and hearty dish is the perfect meal to enjoy on a cold winter’s day.
When you sit down to enjoy shepherd pie, you will first notice garlic, carrots, and onions, which give the dish a complex and savory taste.
The result is a shepherd pie packed with umami flavor that will satisfy you. And as far as the dish is concerned, this pie is a rich, flavorful mixture of beef and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes.
The mashed potatoes are creamy from inside, but baked so that it is crispy on top.
Shepherd Pie Recipe
For Meat Filling
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Mixed Peas
- ½ cup Corn Kernels
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 cup Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoon Dried Parsley Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
For Potato Topping
- 2 lb Russet Potato
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 8 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- ⅓ cup Half And Half
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
For Meat Filling
- In a large skillet, add oil at medium heat for 2 minutes.
- When the oil is heated, add onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- In the same skillet, add ground beef with parsley, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes until the meat is browned.
- Add the garlic and pour in Worcestershire sauce. Combine by stirring and cook for around 1 minute.
- In the mixture add flour and tomato paste with broth, frozen peas, carrots, and frozen corn. Stir well no tomato paste clumps remain.
- Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes and set the meat mixture aside.
For Potato Toppings
- In a large pot, add potatoes with water and boil them for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Once they are boiled, drain them and add them again in the same pot with butter, half and half, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher and add shredded parmesan cheese, stir it occasionally.
For The Assembling Of Casserole
- In a baking dish, pour the meat mixture and spread it in a layer. Spread mashed potato mixture with a spatula on the top of the meat.
- Bake the mixture for 30 minutes and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is shepherd pie?
Shepherd pie is a traditional English dish made with meat and vegetables, typically lamb or mutton, and potatoes. The meat and vegetables are cooked in a gravy or sauce, then topped with mashed potatoes before being baked in the oven.
What are the origins of shepherd pie?
The dish is thought to have originated in the 18th century, when it was known as “cottage pie”. It was a way of using up leftover meat and vegetables, and the name “shepherd pie” wasn’t used until later on. The name probably comes from the fact that shepherd’s were often the poorest people in society, and this was a way of making a cheap, filling meal.
How do you make shepherd pie?
There are many different ways to make shepherd pie, depending on your preferences. You can cook the meat and vegetables separately before assembling the pie, and add in different vegetables to mix things up.
Some popular variations include using sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, and adding cheese to the top of the pie. Get creative and experiment until you find your perfect recipe!
Why is my shepherd pie runny?
If your casserole is too runny, chances are, you either didn’t add enough flour to thicken the gravy or you didn’t simmer it long enough to reduce the liquid. Also, make sure your potatoes are thoroughly drained before making the mashed potatoes, so the topping is not too sloppy.
I hope you’ve liked this recipe of the shepherd pie recipe. Make sure to try this pie recipe at your home and share your reviews in the comments section below. Till then, stay tuned for more recipes like this.