If you love seafood, then seafood potpie must surely be your favorite. I am sure the aroma of seafood must be trickling your nostrils. You can make it at home with a few ingredients.
To make flavorful seafood potpie, cook lobster, shrimps, and scallops in a pan. Pour in fish stock, heavy cream, and cheese. Add peas and onion and stir everything well.
Pour half of the mixture in the baking dish and sprinkle shredded cheese. Transfer remaining mixture and cut a slit in the middle. Bake it for around 20 minutes until the crust becomes golden.
Add smoked paprika to give pot pie filling a wonderful smoky flavor. Often pot pies will use bacon to get this flavor, but if you are cooking for pescatarians, bacon is not an option.
Feel free to use your favorite seafood that is available where you live. You can use hot-smoked salmon (not lox), wild salmon, wild white fish like haddock, cod or sole.
You too can make it at your home following some instructions. Seafood potpie, a tasty and mouth watering is easy to make. In this article, I will be sharing the seafood potpie recipe with you.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Seafood Potpie?
- Oven – Bake the mixture in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes until the crust becomes golden and crispy.
- Baking Dish – Pour the prepared mixture in the baking dish with shredded cheese.
- Pan – Prepare the mixture in a pan until everything is well mixed.
- Spatula – Stir the mixture while cooking using a spatula.
- Knife – Cut a lobster and half the scallops and shrimp using a knife.
- Grater – Shred the cheddar cheese using a grater for a cheesy bite.
- Chopping Board – Slice the scallops, shrimp and cube the lobster on a chopping board for fine cutting.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Seafood Potpie?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Baking Time||Total Time|
|30 Minutes||1 Hour 35 Minutes||30 Minutes||2 Hour 35 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Seafood Potpie?
- Unsalted Butter – A generous dollop of butter will ensure the mixture rich and creamy.
- Heavy Cream – Heavy cream will add thickness and a rich flavor to the mixture.
- Cheddar Cheese – Add a layer of shredded cheddar for a sharp, pungent and earthy flavor.
- Fish Stock – Fish stock will add a subtle hints of fish essence in the mixture with umami flavors.
- Pernod – Pour Pernod in the mixture to add a kick of a strong black licorice flavor with subtle notes of fennel, coriander, and mint.
- Large Shrimp – Shrimp will provide a sweet taste with a satisfying crunch.
- Sea Scallops – Cook scallops will add briny, slightly sweet, and buttery with a tender texture to the mixture.
- Lobster – Lobster adds a sweeter, rich, and satisfying flavor to the pie.
- Whole Onion – Simple simmering of the frozen onions will provide you a stronger onion and grassier flavor, with a heartier texture.
- Frozen Peas – Frozen peas will add sweetness and nutty taste to your pie.
- All-Purpose Flour – Flour will help thicken to your pie mixture.
- Leaf Parsley – Parsley will add a clean and peppery taste with a touch of earthiness.
- Fennel – Roasted fennel seeds will add a warm and sweet aroma with nutty flavor to the pie.
- Black Pepper – Black pepper will add bold flavors that pairs well the ingredients.
- Salt – Sprinkle salt to the mixture to enhance the flavors of the ingredients.
Steps To Make Seafood Potpie
1. Preparation Is Must
Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F. Meanwhile, cut a lobster in square pieces. Divide the shrimp and scallops in half and cut in pieces.
In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Now add chopped garlic and fennel and roast it for around 10 minutes.
Once roasted, add flour and cook for a minute. Now cook sliced shrimp and scallops for around 2 minutes.
Now stir in fish stock, Pernod, heavy cream, salt, and pepper in it. Add cubed lobster to the mixture that you’ve made above.
Once everything is well mixed, add frozen peas, frozen onions, and parsley and cook the mixture for 2 more minutes.
2. Bake The Pot
Pour half of the mixture in the baking dish and sprinkle shredded cheese. Even it with spatula.
Now pour the remaining mixture and using a spatula and cut a slit in the middle using a knife.
Bake the mixture for around 20 minutes until the crust becomes golden and crispy.
|Total Carbohydrates||23.5 g|
|Total Fats||17.0 g|
How Will Seafood Potpie Look And Taste Like?
This creamy seafood potpie is easy to make using store-bought crust, shrimp, lobster, crab, and frozen veggies. Load up on this double crust pie, it’s the ultimate comfort food dish the whole family will love.
Nothing can beat a classic pie with a tender flaky crust oozed in well-seasoned filling. This pot pie recipe is comfort food at its finest!
Rich and creamy with very little cream and chock full of veggies and seafood like shrimp has a crispy and golden flaky puff pastry.
Seafood Potpie Recipe
- ¼ pounds Unsalted Butter
- 3 cups Fish Stock
- 3 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon Pernod
- ½ pound Large Shrimp (Peeled and Divided)
- ½ pound Sea Scallops (sliced in half horizontally)
- ¾ pound Cooked Fresh Lobster Meat
- 1 ½ cups Frozen Small Whole Onions
- 1 ½ cups Frozen Peas
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Chopped Fennel
- ½ cup Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add chopped garlic and fennel and roast it for around 10 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for a minute.
- Now add sliced shrimp and scallops to it and cook it for around 2 minutes.
- Pour in fish stock, Pernod, heavy cream, salt, and pepper in it and stir everything.
- Now take a lobster and cut it in square pieces and add it to the mixture that you’ve made above.
- Add the frozen peas, frozen onions, and parsley and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour half of the mixture in the baking dish and sprinkle shredded cheese.
- Pour the remaining mixture and using a knife, cut a slit in the middle.
- Then bake for around 20 minutes, until the crust becomes golden and crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What makes a pot pie a pot pie?
A pot pie is a type of pie consisting of a flaky pastry top and bottom pie crust and a filling in the middle. Pot pies can be made with a variety of savory fillings: poultry, chicken, beef, seafood or event plant-based.
How do you keep the bottom crust of seafood pot pie from getting soggy?
Remove crust from oven and remove parchment. Immediately brush bottom and sides of hot crust with beaten egg. This will help create a moisture barrier, so the crust will not get soggy.
How do I make my pie base crispy?
Adding a layer of corn syrup or a slightly beaten egg white before pouring in the filling will form a seal between the pie dough and the filling and will help make the crust crisp and flaky.
Can puff pastry be used as a pie base?
Puff pastry — traditionally used for a classic tarte tatin — makes a gorgeous pie crust, especially for fruit pies. Roll out frozen or homemade puff pastry to 1/8-inch thick and follow the instructions for par-baking regular pie dough.
This simple yet fancy-feeling seafood potpie is perfect for an easy cold weather dinner or special occasions like Christmas, New Year’s, Valentine’s Day or date night!
If you liked this recipe, then don’t forget to share your experience with us. Also, if you have any suggestions, feel free to share with us. Till then, happy eating!