Make Seafood Paella is a perfect choice when planning to go on a picnic, for any festive occasion or for a large family gathering. Here in this post, I have shared an authentic and easy recipe that I learned from my Spanish cousin.
When I was in Spain visiting my cousin, there was a family gathering. On that day, I got the chance to taste Seafood Paella and it was awesome. I asked my cousin to tell me about the dish. So he agreed to make the dish for me the next day. While he was preparing the dish, I got the chance to learn about the recipe very well.
The recipe of seafood paella requires chicken stock, onion, saffron, chorizo, rice and shrimps. Boil chicken stock and add saffron to it. Now cook onion and chorizo. Then add rice, shrimps to the stock in a skillet. Simmer for 15 minutes and your recipe is ready to eat.
This was a very short summary of the recipe. This recipe takes a bit more effort and time but I have tried to simplify it so that it is easy to cook without losing its authentic Spanish flavors. Let’s see what all the ingredients that you need to make this recipe are.
Ingredients for Seafood Paella
- 4 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 finely Chopped Yellow Onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Saffron Threads
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 finely chopped Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 finely chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 6 ounces Mild Dried Chorizo Sausage (sliced into thin half-moons)
- 3 cups Short-Grain Rice
- 1 (14-ounce) can Fire-Roasted Diced tomatoes
- 1 pound Mussels, rinsed and scrubbed
- 1/4 cup chopped Parsley
- 1 pound Littleneck Clams (rinsed and scrubbed)
- 1 cup of frozen Green Peas
- 1 pound large (21-24 per pound) Shrimp (peeled and deveined with tails left on)
These ingredients are easily available in supermarkets or grocery stores. Now let’s see how much time you will need to prepare this seafood paella at your home.
How Much Time It Will Take to Make Seafood Paella?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|30 minutes||35 minutes||65 minutes|
This recipe doesn’t take much time if you have all the required ingredients and have a basic knowledge of Paella. Now let’s jump to the steps for making Seafood Paella.
Steps to Make Seafood Paella
- Take a gas grill and heat it to medium-high heat. Or you can light a charcoal grill and let the charcoal burn until it gets covered with gray ash.
- Take a medium saucepan and heat it to medium heat. Now boil the chicken stock and add saffron and salt to it.
- Turn off the gas and then let saffron steep for almost 15 minutes.
- Now heat oil over medium heat in a 12 – 14 inch stainless steel skillet or use a cast iron pan.
- Add onion and red pepper. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes and stir in chorizo and garlic.
- Set the skillet with the sofrito on the gas grill. Now add rice, infused stock, peas, salt, tomatoes, shrimp, mussels, and clams.
- Now add rice to skillet and cook by stirring for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Close the cover of the grill and simmer rice for 15 minutes.
- If the mixture is looking dry, then pour about 1 cover of hot water.
- Settle the mussels and clams into the rice. Keep hinge sides up so they release their juices into the rice.
- Arrange the shrimp around the shellfish.
- Take the pan and cover it with foil and cook for 6-10 minutes or do so until shrimp and rice are cooked. Also, make sure mussels and clams are open.
- Take a spatula and slip it under rice. Check to see if you have achieved the elusive golden brown socarrat.
- If you have not achieved then set the pan over the heat, uncovered, for a few minutes so that the bottom gets caramelized.
- Your recipe is ready and garnish it with parsley.
To have an authentic Spanish Paella party, serve it with fried Pimientos de Padron or fried sweet Plantain slices.
Nutritional Breakdown of Seafood Paella
This recipe has low fats and a lot of nutrients. Below is the complete breakdown of the nutrients this seafood recipe provides.
How to Make Seafood Paella at Home | Video
This recipe has got a lot of steps. So I thought of including a video tutorial below so that you can make the best Seafood Paella ever.
That was all from me and now it’s your turn to make this beautiful recipe. Make sure you give us your reviews in the comment section below. Till then, stay tuned for more such recipes.