Scottish stovies are a great dish to prepare whenever you feel hungry and I will be showing you its proper recipe today.
Scottish stovies are usually made from leftover scrap meat and onions and potatoes to aid wastage. The term ‘stovies’ comes from the way the dish is cooked. The potatoes are stewed slowly rather than boiled. They refer to the process of stewing as ‘to stove’.
For Scottish stovies, you need to put butter and onions in a pan. Cook it and add swede, celery, and carrots. Put meat and potatoes in the pot and bring them to a boil. In the end, add corned beef and serve with crusty bread.
Scottish stovies are yummy and healthy as well. They are really easy to make and for making it, you will have to follow the detailed procedure given below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Bojangles Dirty Rice– Dirty Rice makes a hearty main course with salad as its side. It is a good healthy meal and making it home will make it more nutritional. So let’s make this spicy comfort food at home and satisfy your craving for the Bojangles Dirty Rice.
2. Cochinita Pibil– Cochinita Pibil is an easy-to-make Mexican pork dish that originated from Yucatan, Mexico. By learning this recipe, you can make this recipe so easily at your home.
3. Three Bean Baked Beans– The three bean baked beans are made with, as the name suggests, three different types of beans. It also has different sauces and spices that give it the perfect taste and tang.
4. Seafood Paella– Seafood paella is a perfect recipe to make for dinners. It is also great for any festive occasion or a large family gathering.
Scottish Stovies Recipe
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 30 g Butter
- 2 Carrots
- ½ Swede
- 500 g Corned Beef
- 1 Celery Stick
- 500 ml Lamb Stock
- 700 g Potatoes
- 1 Packet Crusty Bread
- Place a pan on medium flame. Add in the butter and melt. Then, add onions to it and cook them for 10 minutes.
- Now, add in swede, celery, and carrots. Cook them for about 6 minutes.
- Add and stir the meat, potatoes and pour the stock. Season properly and bring to a boil before lowering the heat.
- Now, cover it and cook it for 1 hour and 30 minutes until the vegetables become soft.
- Add in corned beef and cook for 20 minutes. Then, serve the dish with crusty bread.
2 thoughts on “How To Make Scottish Stovies At Home”
From a Scottish person – Stovies can be made many ways with many different ingredients. Your wrong to say they are called stovies because of ‘stewing’ the potatoes. They’re called stovies because they pot would always be on the stove, 24/7, brewing away and new leftovers added day after day, Similar to potage.
Hello dear reader,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our editorial team is looking into this, will get back to you with verified and updated information. Until then, happy cooking!