Scottish stovies are a great dish to prepare whenever you feel hungry and I will be showing you its proper recipe today.
Scottish stovies are usually made from leftover scrap meat and onions and potatoes to aid wastage. The term ‘stovies’ comes from the way the dish is cooked. The potatoes are stewed slowly rather than boiled. They refer to the process of stewing as ‘to stove’.
For Scottish stovies, you need to put butter and onions in a pan. Cook it and add swede, celery and carrots. Put meat and potatoes in the pot and bring them to a boil. In the end, add corned beef and serve with crusty bread.
Scottish stovies are yummy and healthy as well. They are really easy to make and for making it, you will have to follow the detailed procedure given below. But first, we will be starting with the ingredients required for the traditional Scottish stovies recipe.
Scottish Stovies Recipe
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 30 g Butter
- 2 Carrots
- ½ Swede
- 500 g Corned Beef
- 1 Celery Stick
- 500 ml Lamb Stock
- 700 g Potatoes
- 1 Packet Crusty Bread
- Place a pan on medium flame. Add in the butter and melt. Then, add onions and cook them for 10 minutes.
- Now, add in swede, celery and carrots and cook them for 6 minutes.
- Add and stir the meat, potatoes and pour the stock. Season properly and bring to a boil before lowering the heat.
- Now, cover it and cook it for 1 hour and 30 minutes till the vegetables get soft.
- Add in corned beef and cook for 20 minutes. Then, serve the dish with crusty bread.