Oatcakes are one of the most popular and traditional dishes of Scotland. It is also considered as the bread of Scotland and today, I will be sharing the recipe for the same.
Scottish Oatcakes have an amazing history. In the 14th century, Scottish soldiers had a metal plate and a sack full of oatmeal and would keep the plate on fire and add little moisture to the oatmeal and cook it to form a cake and they would fulfill their hunger. It is a fact that Scottish soldiers marched longer than other men due to the oatcakes.
To make Scottish Oatcakes, mix baking soda, oatmeal and salt in a bowl. Add hot water to it and mix it. Make small balls of this mixture and sprinkle some oatmeal onto the balls. Place these balls on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Serve
The steps mentioned are just a brief for the recipe. The proper detailed procedure are yet to come and with its help, you will be able to prepare the easy Scottish oatmeal cakes properly. We will be starting with the ingredients.
Ingredients For Scottish Oatcakes
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 125g Ground Oats
- 2 teaspoons Goose Fat
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 tablespoon Hot Water
You will get all these ingredients easily in the nearby general stores and some must be present in your home, so get ready with the ingredients and have a look at the time required to make these Scottish oatmeal cakes.
How Much Time It Will Take To Make Scottish Oatcakes?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 minutes||30 minutes||50 minutes|
The time required to make these amazing oatcakes is just 50 minutes. Now, let’s check out the detailed stepwise procedure to make the recipe.
Steps To Make Scottish Oatcakes
- Firstly, preheat the oven and then mix the baking soda, oatmeal, and salt in a bowl.
- Now add in the melted fat and keep mixing it until a thick paste is formed and then slowly add in hot water and mix it well.
- Now make two small balls out of the paste prepared by you and sprinkle oatmeal on the surface and roll the balls on the surface such that the oatmeals get stuck to it.
- Keep rubbing the balls for a few minutes until the mixture gets dry and stops getting sticky and then adding a little oatmeal.
- Now roll the balls into ½ cm thick disk and cut off the quarters.
- Now place the oatcake on a baking sheet and bake them for 35 minutes till their colour turns golden brown.
- Serve them.
Nutritional Breakdown Of Scottish Oatcakes
These traditional Scottish Oatcakes are really healthy. That is why, I’ve added the nutritional breakdown of this recipe below.
How To Make Scottish Oatcakes At Home | Video
I’ve added a video below as well of this recipe. I bet that after watching this video, it’ll be easier for you to try all the steps at home.
And that’s it for today. Hope you will like this recipe and will add some twist to your daily routine cooking. Hey! Check out the other recipes which I guess you will like too. Here are some of them, do give them a look and tell us what you think about them. We would love to get your response to all of them.