When you think of holiday casseroles, vegetables, pasta, or rice instantly comes to mind. But let’s take a different approach this year, and try out the scalloped oysters’ recipe that’s just so-so good.
Scalloped oyster is an incredible dish that brings with it layers of flavor and texture. This special recipe contains delectable flavors of saltine crackers, briny oysters, and its liquor, which some people also call “oyster juice,” and fresh herbs and spices.
This scalloped oyster recipe makes use of every part of the oyster. To balance the salty flavors of oysters, we also add cream to the dish right before baking.
This dish is perfect for large gatherings and is best served warm. So, make your friends and family jump with joy by making this delicious scalloped oysters’ recipe. In the article below, you will not only find the step-by-step instructions to make this dish, but you will also find out other valuable tips.
Other Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Try
- zesty garden turkey club Sandwich
- turkey avocado sandwich
- deli turkey
- turkey cranberry sandwich
- spatchcocked smoked turkey
- bourbon pecan pie
- salted caramel pie
- purple sweet potato pie
- spinach spoon bread
- turkey giblet gravy
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Scalloped Oysters?
- Bowl – You will need a bowl. Combine saltine crackers and butter.
- Casserole – A casserole will be needed to bake the scalloped oysters.
- Oven – An oven we require to bake the dish.
- Rolling Pin – You will need a rolling pin to crush the crackers.
- Ziplock – A Ziplock will help you store the saltine crackers for crushing.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Scalloped Oysters?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||40 Minutes||1 Hour|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Scalloped Oysters?
- Saltine Crackers – To make this dish, you will need three cups of crushed saltine crackers. Saltine crackers are the perfect salty and crunchy complement to so many dishes. They are topped with coarse sea salt.
- Butter – Every dish is incomplete without the presence of fat. Therefore, we will use three fourth cups of melted unsalted butter. While making this dish, make sure to only use unsalted butter, as the oysters and crackers bring enough salt with them.
- Oysters with Liquor – Oysters are the main ingredient of this dish. You will need four cups of shucked small oysters with liquor.
- Cayenne Pepper – To add a punch of spice to the scalloped oysters’ recipe, we will add a one-eighth teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Salt – While this dish should, with its salty ingredients, doesn’t require additional salt. You can add some, according to taste, if you desire.
- Black Pepper – To add some peppery notes, add black pepper according to taste.
- Italian Flat-Leaf Parsley – To add some freshness to this dish, you will also require two tablespoons of chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley.
- Heavy Cream – To make this dish rich and balance flavors, you will need one cup of heavy cream.
Steps To Make Scalloped Oysters
1. Prepare The Base
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Take a Ziplock and fill it with saltine crackers. Seal the Ziplock. With the help of a rolling pin, crush the crackers into small pieces. Make sure not to crush the crackers in powder form. For this dish, we required tiny pieces of crackers.
In a bowl, combine saltine crackers and butter and stir until the crumbs are nicely infused with butter. Spread 1/3 rd of the crumb mixture on the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
2. Assemble The Ingredients and Bake
Take half of the oysters with their liquor and pour over the saltines mixture. Season them with cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt (if required). Take 1/3 of the saltines and remaining oysters and spread another layer in the casserole. Season with cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, and Italian parsley.
Sprinkle the remaining saltines mixture over the oysters. Now drizzle heavy cream evenly over the top. Bake the dish in the preheated oven until it starts to bubble and is browned. This should take you 40 to 45 minutes. Let the dish rest for 10 minutes before serving.
What Can Be Served Along With Scalloped Oysters?
After going through the recipe, if you’re wondering what to serve with scalloped oysters, then read on to know.
Scalloped oysters are a rich and creamy dish that can be served as a main course. You can serve it alongside chicken, roast turkey, and beef. If you wish to make this dish the star of the meal, you can serve it with baked potatoes, fresh corn, salad, and sauteed vegetables.
How To Store Scalloped Oysters?
Oysters are delicate seafood dishes that can turn bad pretty quickly if not stored properly. Therefore, you should always be extra careful while handling them.
Firstly, scalloped oysters should be cooked before storing them. Once cooked, consume the dish within an hour or store it in a refrigerator. Before storing them in the refrigerator, cover the dish with aluminum foil or a tight lid.
You can also make scalloped oysters a day or two ahead, making sure that they are stored correctly.
When you’re ready to eat this dish, cook it until it reaches 145 F in the center. This is the minimum internal temperature necessary for safety’s sake, according to the FDA. This means you will have to bake it for at least 10 minutes in an oven set to 450 F.
You can also freeze scalloped oysters for 3 to 4 months. But in comparison to freshly baked scalloped oysters, the frozen dish will not taste that great. That’s because frozen scalloped oysters and the cracker crumbs tend to turn soft and gooey.
But if you still wish to freeze this dish, avoid adding the crumb topping. You can add this layer when you are about to bake the dish.
At all times, remember not to leave scalloped oysters out of the refrigerator for more than one to two hours.
|Saturated Fat||13 grams|
|Vitamin C||5 milligrams|
What Will Scalloped Oysters Look And Taste Like?
Scalloped oysters are a fantastic dish served as a side dish, main course, or appetizer with crackers. They make a creamy, salty, and crunchy treat. The oyster liquor combined with cream makes this dish very flavorful.
As for the looks, this dish has a golden-brown top. When you dig into the dish, you see the beautiful layers of texture.
Scalloped Oysters Recipe
- 4 cups Shucked Small Oysters with liquor
- 3 cups Crushed Saltine Crackers
- ¾ cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 2 tablespoons Chopped Fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Cayenne Pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Ground Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Take a Ziplock and fill it with saltine crackers. Seal the Ziplock. With the help of a rolling pin, crush the crackers into small pieces. Make sure not to crush the crackers in powder form. For this dish, we required tiny pieces of crackers.
- In a bowl, combine saltine crackers and butter and stir until the crumbs are saturated with butter.
- Spread ⅓rd of the saltines mixture on the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole dish.
- Take half of the oysters with their liquor and pour over the saltines mixture. Season them with cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt (if required).
- Take 1/3 of the saltines and remaining oysters and spread another layer in the casserole. Season with cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, and Italian parsley.
- Sprinkle the remaining saltines mixture over the oysters. Now drizzle heavy cream evenly over the top.
- Bake the dish in the preheated oven until it starts to bubble and is browned. This should take you 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let the dish rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Frequently Answered Questions (FAQs)
What kind of oysters should you use to make scalloped oysters?
To make scalloped oysters, use small and fresh oysters.
Should you rinse oysters before eating?
Oysters have to be cleaned before you prepare or cook them.
Can oysters be frozen?
Raw oysters can be frozen.
Can scalloped oysters be frozen?
Scalloped oysters can be frozen for 3-4 months. However, this dish, after being thawed, doesn’t taste as good as fresh because the crackers turn soft.
How much time does it take to make a scalloped oyster?
You need one hour to prepare scalloped oysters.
I hope you have enjoyed going through this recipe as much as I did share it with you. If you haven’t tried scalloped oysters before, do so this holiday season. Don’t forget to tell me how happy you made your guests.