As New Year is about to begin in a few days, I thought to share a recipe that would delight everyone. A good sweet recipe is something that was on my mind. So searching the internet for a recipe like this, I got one. The recipe I will be sharing is Rosca de Reyes. It is Mexican sweet bread. This bread is treated as special food for Three King’s Day. This day arrives 12 days after Christmas, which is January 6. I am happy to find a recipe that will be loved by the kids too.
As the name suggests- Rosca means Wreath and Reyes means King. So translating the recipe’s name gives us the meaning of King’s Wreath. That is why the bread is shaped like a wreath. In Mexico, it is a custom to have a get together on January 6. And have this sweet bread accompanied by a warm drink like hot chocolate or coffee. If you travel to Mexico in January, you can see this cake sold by the bakeries there.
Some bakeries even make a version of this bread with a filling of cream, jam or custard. Or with some variety of toppings and flavors. After knowing such interesting facts about this bread, I am excited to make this on January 6. How about you? If you too want to bake this bread for your loved ones and have a get-together. Then look at the recipe below.
Ingredients for Rosca de Reyes
|All-Purpose Flour||4 cups|
|White Sugar||2/3 cup|
|Warm Water||1 tablespoon|
|Dry Yeast||2/0.25 ounce|
|Butter||½ cup softened|
|Butter||1 tablespoon softened|
|White Sugar||½ cup|
|All-Purpose flour||¼ cup|
|Candied Citrus Peels||20|
Such basic ingredients. These are readily available in any supermarket and most probably, you will find all of them in your pantry. It is easy to cook recipe which tastes good and is loved by almost everyone. Without any delay, let’s see how much time is taken to prepare this.
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|35 minutes||20 minutes||1 hours 50 minutes||2 hours 45 minutes|
Don’t get stressed out by looking at the preparation time. It is not that of a lengthy recipe. Thou we need to be a little patient while making it. You will surely be treated with sweetness with all your effort and patience once it is made. Just follow the instructions below.
Rosca de Reyes Recipe
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, mix 4 cups flour, eggs, egg yolks, 2/3 cup white sugar, water, dry yeast, orange zest, lime zest, and salt with the help of a dough hook. To this, add ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon of butter and mix well. Mix till you get a shiny elastic dough. This will take 5 minutes.
- Make a ball of the dough and cover it. Rest it in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Press the dough gently after 45 minutes and roll it into a cylinder. Join the ends of the dough, making an oval ring. Take a baking sheet and place the ring on it. Cover it and rest it in a warm place for 45 minutes to rise.
- Set the oven to preheat mode at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Take a small bowl and whisk egg whites in it. Brush it on the dough evenly.
- Take another small bowl and mix ½ cup white sugar and ¼ cup butter and form a paste. Add some flour to it to make a consistency like a Play-Doh. Make 5-6 balls from this and place each ball between two parchment paper squares of 3 inches. Press them with the bottom of a cup to make a 1/8 inch thick circle.
- Place circles evenly around the dough ring and candied citrus peels on top of the dough.
- Bake it for 20 minutes until it turns golden brown. Cool it down for 20 minutes before slicing.
You can use different colors of candied peels. You can even make it in chocolate flavor by adding cocoa powder to it.
Nutritional Breakdown of Rosca de Reyes
How to Make Rosca de Reyes at Home | Video
Here is the video to help you in every step of baking. If you want to know more details of the recipe, kindly watch this video as it will help you.
So what are your views about this recipe? Let me know your reviews to help you out if anything has to be made clear. I am happy to help you. Share this recipe with your friends and do comment in the section below with your experience and queries.