The recipe I will be sharing today is Rosca de Reyes. It is a type of Mexican sweet bread. This bread is treated as special food for Three King’s Day. This day arrives 12 days after Christmas, which is January 6. Some bakeries even make a version of this bread with a filling of cream, jam, or custard.
Rosca means ‘wreath’ and Reyes means ‘king.’ So, Rosca de Reyes means ‘King’s Wreath’ when translated. That is why the bread is shaped like a wreath. In Mexico, it is a custom to have this sweet bread accompanied by a warm drink like hot chocolate or coffee on January 6.
To make Rosca de Reyes, add flour, eggs, egg yolks, white sugar, water, and dry yeast in a mixer. Also, add orange zest, lemon zest, and butter. Mix it until it forms a smooth dough. Set it aside for 45 minutes. Add toppings of your choice to the dough. Bake for 20 minutes. Let it cool, slice it and serve.
This was just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below.
1. Rye Croutons– If you love croutons then, you should know that homemade croutons taste the best. You can easily make rye croutons with leftover rye bread. They are really easy to make and get ready in no time.
2. Pumpernickel Bread– Pumpernickel Bread is made with a high proportion of rye flour and wheat flour. It differs from rye bread as Rye bread is made with rye flour with the addition of different grains in it.
3. Corn Pone– Corn pone is made without milk and eggs. It can be baked or fried. The ingredients are simple and easily available. It is easy to make corn pones at home and it takes less than an hour to make them.
4. Pizza Crust– This is hands down the best pizza dough. You will love this crust – it’s crisp, chewy and so satisfying. Make this and you will never want a store-bought crust again.
Ingredients for Rosca de Reyes
|All-Purpose Flour||4 cups|
|Eggs Yolks (separated)||3|
|White Sugar||¾ cup|
|Warm Water||½ cup|
|Dry Yeast||2 ¼ teaspoons|
|Zest of 1 Orange (grated)|
|Zest of 1 Lime (grated)|
|Butter (softened)||½ cup plus 1 tablespoon|
|White Sugar||½ cup|
|All-Purpose flour||¼ cup|
|Candied Citrus Peels||20|
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|35 Minutes||20 Minutes||1 Hour 50 Minutes||2 Hours 45 Minutes|
Rosca de Reyes Recipe
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, add 4 cups flour, eggs, egg yolks, white sugar, water, and dry yeast. Also, add orange zest, lime zest, and salt to it and mix. To this, add ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon of butter. Mix for about 5 minutes until you get a shiny elastic dough.
- Make a ball of the dough. Put it in a bowl and cover it. Keep it in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- After that, place the dough on a surface and press gently. Then, roll it and join the ends of the dough and make an oval ring. Place the dough ring on a baking sheet. Cover it and set it aside for 45 minutes to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 400oF.
- Whisk the egg whites in a small bowl. Brush it on the dough evenly.
- In another bowl, mix white sugar and butter to form a paste. Add some flour to it and mix. Make 5-6 balls from this and place each ball. Press them with the bottom of a cup to make a 1/8 inch thick circle and 3 inches wide.
- Place the circles evenly around the dough ring and put candied citrus peels on top of the dough.
- Bake it for 20 minutes until it turns golden brown. Cool it down for 20 minutes before slicing it and then serve.
Nutritional Breakdown of Rosca de Reyes