A vegetable known for its reddish stalks and sour taste, rhubarb is cooked and often sweetened in European and North American countries while it is used for medicines in the Asian continent. It’s an unusual vegetable often mistaken to be a fruit and grows in the mountainous regions. It is a rich source of antioxidants and fibre.
My grandmother prepares Rhubarb Jam many a times for us. I spend my summer vacations with her only. Her company is wonderful. She teaches me a lot and also taught me how to make Rhubarb Jam. I made mistakes initially. But gradually I learnt to make it on my own without any help. I even surprised my mother with jars of Rhubarb jam. Indeed, it is quite yummy and tasty.
You too can make it at your own by following the below mentioned Rhubarb Jam Recipe.
Ingredients Required for Rhubarb Jam Recipe
|Chopped Fresh Rhubarb||2 1/2 pounds|
|White Sugar||2 cups|
|Orange Juice||1/3 cup|
|Grated Orange Zest||2 teaspoons|
How much time will it take?
|Preparation time||Cooking time||Total time|
|25 minutes||45 minutes||1 hour 10 minutes|
Rhubarb Jam Recipe
- Mix the sugar, rhubarb, orange juice, orange zest, and water in a saucepan.
- After bringing to a boil, cook over medium-low heat for about 45 minutes with occasional stirring.
- The mixture would keep on thickening as it cools down.
- Scoop it into hot sterile jars and afterwards seal them with lids and rings.
- These open jars are to be stored in the refrigerator.
Nutritional Information of Rhubarb Jam Recipe
|Total fat||0.1 g|
|Dietary fiber||0.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||14.4 g|
|Vitamin A||42 IU|
|Vitamin C||4 mg|