Rabo Encendido is a bull’s tail stew. It is not complicated to make. It contains oxtail, vegetables and is infused with different spices and herbs. It just needs a little time and patience.
Rabo Encendido is also known as Cuban oxtail stew. It is a classic Spanish stew. It is served throughout Spain in all the traditional restaurants. As the name suggests, it is a bull stew. Back in history when bullfights happened in Spain, a dead bull’s tails were of no use. That is how the recipe started.
To make Rabo Encendido, marinate oxtails in vino Seco, olive oil, and salt for about 12 hours. Brown the oxtails. Then, cook potatoes, onions, and carrots in olive oil in a pot. Add salt, garlic paste, spices, and herbs to it. Then, add tomato sauce and chicken broth to it. Add the browned oxtails to the pot. Cover it and cook for 4 hours.
This is just a snippet of the recipe. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Tex-Mex Chicken with Black Beans and Rice– If you are fond of Tex-Mex recipes, then you will surely love this one. The recipe is for tex-mex chicken with black beans and rice.
2. Cochinita Pibil– Cochinita Pibil is an easy-to-make Mexican pork dish that originated from Yucatan, Mexico. By learning this recipe, you can make this recipe so easily at your home.
3. Seafood Paella– Seafood paella is a perfect recipe to make for dinners. It is also great for any festive occasion or a large family gathering.
4. Amaya’s Migas– Migas is a main dish made with eggs and torn-up tortillas. You can not only have this recipe as dinner, but it also makes a great breakfast. This recipe is given by Robert Amaya.
Ingredients for Rabo Encendido
|Vino Seco (White Cooking Wine)||1 ½ cups|
|Olive oil||¼ cup|
|Beef Oxtails||4 pounds|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Potatoes (peeled and quartered)||2|
|Onions (diced)||2 cups|
|Carrots (diced)||1 cup|
|Garlic (chopped)||6 cloves|
|Green Olives (pitted and halved)||¼ cup|
|Miami Style Sazon Seasoning||2 teaspoons|
|Sazon Seasoning (like Sa-Son Accent)||½ packet/ 18 ounce|
|Tomato Sauce||1 can/ 15 ounce|
|Chicken Broth||3 cups|
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|35 minutes||4 hours 15 minutes||12 hours||16 hours 50 minutes|
Rabo Encendido Recipe
- In a large bowl, add vino Seco, ¼ olive oil, and salt. Add oxtails to this mixture and coat them well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, drain all the marinade, leaving behind just ½ cup of it.
- Take a large pot and heat olive oil in it over medium-high flame. Sear oxtails until they get browned on each side. To brown them, cook them for 2 minutes on each side. Keep them aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the same pot. Saute onions, potatoes, and carrots for 5 minutes until they get translucent.
- Make a coarse paste of garlic with ½ teaspoon salt. Add this to the pot and cook until it gives a fragrance. Add green olives, bay leaves, sazon complete, sazon seasoning, and allspice. Stir them. Pour the marinade reserve, tomato sauce, and chicken broth into the pot.
- Add oxtails to the pot and bring them to a boil. Reduce the flame to the lowest and cover the pot. Cook the oxtails until they get tender and fall off from the bone. It will take about 4 hours.
- Serve them hot.
Nutritional Breakdown of Rabo Encendido