Every country has its own traditional cuisine. Trying out traditional recipes of different countries is what I like to do. A good classic dish will always make you happy. It will also be a great help in exploring different flavours. I thought to make it a bit easy for you as I think to share a traditional recipe of Spain.
Rabo Encendido, also known as Cuban Oxtail Stew is a Spanish classic that I will share with you today. It is served throughout Spain in all the traditional restaurants. And with this recipe, you can try it at your home.
As the name suggests, it is a bull stew. Back in history when bullfights happened in Spain, a dead bull’s tails were of no use. That is how the recipe started. Although bull meat is tight but in this recipe, you will be able to taste it tender.
This recipe requires patience, so prep up yourself before starting the recipe. Have a look at the ingredients first to begin with.
Ingredients for Rabo Encendido
|Vino Seco (white cooking wine)||1 ½ cup|
|Olive oil||¼ cup|
|Beef Oxtails||4 pounds|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Potatoes||2 (peeled and quartered)|
|Onions||2 cups (diced)|
|Carrots||1 cup (diced)|
|Garlic||6 cloves (chopped0|
|Green Olives||¼ cup (pitted and halved)|
|Miami style sazon seasoning||2 teaspoons|
|Sazon seasoning (like Sa-Son Accent)||½ packet/ 18 ounce|
|Tomato Sauce||1 can/ 15 ounce|
|Chicken Broth||3 cups|
The ingredients are easy to fetch from any supermarket. Before cooking them up let’s see how much time will it take to cook it up.
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Additional Time||Total Time|
|35 minutes||4 hours 14 minutes||12 hours||16 hours 49 minutes|
No doubt the recipe will be time consuming but it will also be worth all the efforts and wait. The happiness of achieving a perfect texture of the meat will be to no limit. Follow the instructions given below properly to get the best results.
Rabo Encendido Recipe
- Take a large bowl and to it add vino seco, ¼ olive oil and salt. Add oxtails to this mixture and coat them well. Cover the bowl with the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, drain all the marinade leaving behind just ½ cup of it.
- Take a large pot and heat olive oil in it over medium-high flame. Sear oxtails until they get browned on each side. To brown them cook them for 2 minutes on each side. Keep them aside. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in the same utensil. Saute onions, potatoes and carrots for 5 minutes until they get translucent.
- Make a coarse paste of garlic with ½ teaspoon salt. Add this to the pot and cook until it gives a fragrance. Add green olives, bay leaves, sazon complete, sazon seasoning and allspice. Stir them. Pour the marinade reserve, tomato sauce and chicken broth in the pot.
- Add oxtails to the pot and bring them to boil. Reduce the flame to the lowest and cover the pot. Cook the oxtails until they get tender and fall off from the bone. It will take about 4 hours.
- Serve them hot.
Your meaty dish is ready to be served. You can enjoy this with some recipe or can grab a bowl of it as a dinner.
Nutritional Breakdown of Rabo Encendido
How to Make Rabo Encendido at Home | Video
If you are having any trouble while making the dish? Don’t worry if you are unclear of some steps. I have uploaded the video of the steps involved in this recipe so watch it and cook it as per it.
After trying the recipe, do share your reviews in the comment section. And for those who are having a query related to the recipe, feel free to ask your questions in the comment section. I will revert you with the best possible solution. Enjoy your meal.