Rabo de Toro is a classic dish from Spain that people love to have during winters. It is a traditional recipe that is served across the country and today, I will show you how it’s made.
This recipe actually comes from Roman times. You all will be amazed to know that traditionally Rabo de Toro was made after bullfights in Spain. This dish is especially popular in Madrid, Spain, where bullfighting takes place even in the present time.
Rabo de Toro can be made by cooking beef oxtail in olive oil. Now make a vegetable mixture by cooking carrots, onions, garlic and leek. Add this mixture will the cooked oxtail and put wine, thyme, tomatoes and bay leaves to it and boils the mixture till the meat gets soft. Cook the oxtail in flour and put it in the stewing liquid and boil it. Serve
But this was just an overview of the whole recipe. But first, check out the proper quantities of the ingredients that you will need to make this Spanish oxtail recipe.
Ingredients For Rabo de Toro
- 2¼ pounds chopped beef oxtail
- 5 tablespoon olive oil
- Sliced carrots
- Sliced onions
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 sliced leek
- 3 quartered ripe tomatoes
- 4 cups red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Black pepper and salt (by taste)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
You may find some of them in the kitchen. If not, then you can find them in your nearest supermarket. Now let’s see how much time it takes to be prepared.
How Much Time It Will Take Rabo de Toro?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 minutes||4 hour 30 minutes||4 hour 50 minutes|
I know it takes a long time to cook it, but you will not regret it once it’s made. Let’s see how it is done.
Steps For Rabo de Toro
- Take a pan and add in 3 tablespoons of olive oil and place it over medium heat.
- Now add in the beef oxtail and cook it properly from both sides for 6 minutes.
- Next, take a skillet and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and place it over medium flame and toss in the carrots, onions, garlic, and leek.
- Stir all the ingredients properly till they get tender and are cooked properly for about 6 minutes.
- Now take a container and add in the cooked oxtail and vegetable mixture and then pour in the wine, thyme, tomatoes, bay leaves and keep stirring them up.
- Nextly bring the mixture to a boil and let it get cooked for about 4 minutes.
- Now add the 2 cup water along with a bouillon cube, salt and pepper, lower down the flame, and let it simmer until the meat gets soft and separates from the bones for about 4 hours.
- Remember to remove the oxtail out from the mixture.
- Take a skillet, place it over medium flame, add in the flour, and keep moving it till a paste is formed and the flour becomes a little brownish for about 16 minutes.
- Now add in the stewing liquid, boil it, and let it simmer until it gets thick for 3-4 minutes.
- At last, pour the stew over the beef oxtail and serve.
I can definitely say that you all will love rabo de toro once you make it.
Nutritional Breakdown of Rabo de Toro
Let’s check what nutritional components does it provides to your body.
How To Make Rabo de Toro At Home | Video
Here is a video for you guys which will help you in the whole procedure of making Rabo de Toro at home. Make sure you watch it and see how it’s actually done.
I hope you have liked this recipe. If yes, then please comment down below and tell us your reviews and experiences. Stay tuned for more healthy soup recipes like this.