Ever tried purple sweet potato recipes? I like them for their mild sweet and wine-like taste. They are famous for their high nutritious value and purple-tinted flesh. There are numerous recipes for purple sweet potatoes. Today I’m going to give you my favorite recipe of purple sweet potato.
Purple sweet potatoes are also known as Hawaiian sweet potatoes. Their natural purple color is a result of an antioxidant called anthocyanin. They are also rich in vitamin C, fiber, and potassium. With a low glycemic index, purple sweet potatoes are the best diabetic diet.
You can easily make vegan purple sweet potato pie with 2 cups of mashed potatoes blended with butter, vanilla, cornstarch, cinnamon, milk, maple syrup, and nutmeg. Pour the filling onto the pie crust (baked dough crust) and bake for 45-55 minutes. Decorate the pic with dough cutouts. Your purple sweet potato pie is ready.
Purple sweet potatoes are drier and denser. So, we have to cook them for longer than normal potatoes. You can boil them, roast them, bake them like other potatoes. Like other potatoes, purple sweet potatoes can be stored at normal temperature, but their life span is comparatively shorter.
Here’s a vegan purple sweet potato recipe. I’m going to give step-by-step instructions for this recipe. Also, don’t forget to have a look at the video of this recipe provided below. If you like it, please this recipe in the recipe card below. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other appetizing desserts from our blog.
1. Texas Yum Yum– Texas Yum Yum is the best no-bake frozen dessert that you can make at your home. This post will tell you the easiest way to make this dessert and your loved ones will definitely say Yum after eating this.
2. Chocolate Pudding Cake- Wanna try an eggless pudding cake? Then you should go for an eggless chocolate pudding cake. It’s a double-layered chocolate pudding cake loaded with the flavors of cocoa, vanilla, butter, and brown sugar. This cake is super easy to make and can be enjoyed on any occasion.
3. Butter Brickle Cookies– Butter brickle cookies are crispy cookies filled with buttery goodness. These cookies are flavored with butter, vanilla, and sugar. These cookies are crunchy on the outside and chewy inside and are filled with toffee bits.
4. Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake– Peanut butter ice cream cake is a creative fusion of peanut butter and ice cream. It’s filled with sweet flavors from ice cream and peanut butter. It has crispy cookie crumbs, crunchy peanuts, and creamy ice cream. It’s frosted with melted chocolate and whipped cream. It’s a decadent dessert that can be enjoyed on special occasions.
Purple Sweet Potato Recipe
Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 cups Purple sweet potatoes (mashed)
- 1 cup Almond milk (or other milk of your choice)
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup (or coconut nectar)
- 1/4 cup Dairy free butter (melted)
- 3 tablespoons Corn starch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup Cold butter (or extra shortening)
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup (or sugar)
- 8-10 tablespoon Ice-cold water (depending on your climate)
- milk of choice or Sugar for sprinkling on dough
- Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening and/or butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture is crumbly and no large clumps of fat remain.
- Stir in sweetener and water, a tablespoon at a time, just until dough comes together. It should be soft but not sticky. If the dough is crumbly, add more water
- Divide dough in half, covering the second half. Take the other half and roll into a large circle. I roll in between two pieces of parchment paper to keep it from sticking.
- Use parchment paper to invert dough into a 9-inch pie pan and carefully fit into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Trim excess edges and crimp or decorate edges as desired.
- Cover and place pie crust into the refrigerator while you make the filling.
To Make Leaf Cut Outs
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Roll about 2nd half of the dough in between two parchment papers about 1/8 inch thick. Use cutters of your choice.
- Place the cut-outs on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with milk and sprinkle some sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cut out are lightly brown. Remove them out and let them cool completely to decorate the pie as desired.
To make Purple Sweet Potato Filling
- Pre heat the oven to 375F.
- Place 3 cups of diced potatoes into a large pot. Add water and place it on stove.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook potatoes until they're fork-tender
- Mash the potatoes slightly and blend them into a high powered blender. Add milk, maple syrup, butter, corn starch, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg to potatoes. Blend the mixture until smooth.
- Pour filling onto the prepared pie crust and place the pan on a cookie sheet.
- Add the cut outs if you want to decorate the crust.
- Place it into the oven on the middle rack and bake for 45-55 minutes. The filling at the center may still be a little soft. It will set firm as it cools.
- Remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool. After some time put it in a refrigerator.
- You can use the decoration of your choice.
- Use back of the knife to gently create the veins of the leaves.
- If the pie seems too liquid, you can decorate the pie after baking it.