Can’t think of a better pumpkin recipe for Thanksgiving? Then, fill your Thanksgiving pie crust with a dreamy creamy pumpkin mix! Give your guests the delight of pumpkin pie with walnut crust. It’s a creamy smooth pumpkin dessert with a twisty crunch of walnuts. It’s probably the best way to have pumpkin and a celebration-worthy fall dessert.
Pumpkin pie with walnut crust has a light and crunchy crust with a creamy delicious pumpkin filled in it. You can top it with chopped walnuts or pecans. After this pie is done, you can cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator for almost two days.
It is2 one of those make-ahead holiday recipes that you never get tired of. Also! You can use butter to glaze the pie crust instead of vegetable shortening. Now, let’s try the recipe for pumpkin pie with walnut crust.
Check out the lists below. These lists will give an idea of the equipment and ingredients required to make pumpkin pie with walnut crust. Make this dessert on Thanksgiving and enjoy your holiday feast.
1. Pumpkin Parfaits– Want to make a delicious pumpkin dessert this pumpkin season? Try pumpkin parfaits. This delicious dessert is layered with a cream cheese mixture and a pumpkin mixture. Both these mixtures have a touch of orange juice to make it refreshing.
2. Butter Brickle Cookies– Butter brickle cookies are crispy cookies filled with buttery goodness. These cookies are flavored with butter, vanilla, and sugar. These cookies are crunchy on the outside and chewy inside and are filled with toffee bits.
3. Four Flavor Sheet Pan Pie– The four flavor sheet pan pie is your hero when you can’t decide on one flavor of pie. The pie crust is common but it divided into 4 parts. In each quarters, there are different flavored fillings. You’ll get apple pie, sour cherry pie, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie as a package.
4. French Apple Tart– The French apple tart is your classic recipe for Thanksgiving. This is a beautiful dessert with apples designed in a pretty pattern. The apples along with the delicate crust, apricot glaze and spices make it the perfect dessert.
What Equipment Will You Need For Pumpkin Pie With Walnut Crust?
- Bowl- Use a bowl to prep the dough or to prep the pumpkin mixture for the pie. You can use a small bowl to beat the eggs for this recipe.
- Plastic wrap- Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and keep it in the refrigerator overnight before rolling the pastry for pie crust.
- Spatula- Use a spatula to combine the ingredients in the bowl.
- Spoon- Use a spoon to beat the eggs in a small bowl.
- Baking pan- Bake the pie by placing the pie crust over the baking pan in an oven.
- Whisk- Use a whisk to smoothly mix the ingredients of the pumpkin mixture and the pie crust.
- Blender- You can also use a pastry blender to cut small crumbs of the pastry mixture before making the dough.
- Oven- Oven is the main equipment to bake the pie.
How Much Time Do You Need To Make Pumpkin Pie With Walnut Crust?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Refrigerating Time||Total Time|
|40 Minutes||45 Minutes||1 Hour||2 Hours 25 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need For Pumpkin Pie With Walnut Crust?
- All-purpose flour- About two cups of all-purpose flour is enough for this pie. The all-purpose flour gives body to the pie crust. You’ll also need all-purpose flour to dust the surface while rolling the pastry for the pie crust.
- Walnuts- You’ll need a half cup of ground walnuts to add a nutty flavor and crunch to the pie crust.
- Sugar- Use three tablespoons of granulated sugar to add sweetness to the pie crust and to the pumpkin mixture. Prefer granulated sugar over regular sugar as it’s sweeter and dissolves better.
- Kosher salt- Balance the flavors of the pie by adding a pinch of kosher salt to the pie crust.
- Vegetable shortening- Use a two-thirds cup of vegetable shortening to make the pie crust tender and smooth. It also helps in shaping the pie crust in the pan and works as a substitute for butter.
- Sugar- Add a half cup of dark brown sugar to the pumpkin mixture to give a nice dark color and to add sweetness to it.
- Cinnamon- A teaspoon of cinnamon gives a mild spiciness and sweet taste to the pumpkin mixture for the pie.
- Ginger- Sprinkle a half teaspoon of ginger powder into the pumpkin mixture to add spicy seasoning flavor to the pie.
- Nutmeg- Add a half teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg to give a slightly spicy lift to the pumpkin pie.
- Cloves- Ground cloves add aroma with a subtle flavor to the pie.
- Pumpkin- Use a 15-ounce can of pure pumpkin puree for this recipe.
- Milk- A cup of evaporated milk gives a nice smooth texture to the pumpkin mixture and prevents it from becoming extra thick.
- Eggs- Lightly beat two large eggs for the pie crust and for the pumpkin mixture to enhance the texture and flavor of the pie.
Steps To Make Pumpkin Pie With Walnut Crust
1. Roll The Pastry
Combine walnuts, flour, granulated sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Use the pastry blender to cut it until the mixture resembles the coarse crumbs. Add a one-fourth cup of ice-cold water until pastry dough is formed. Wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight or for at least 30 minutes.
Roll the dough into two thin sheets. Line the dough in the 9-inch pie plate and cut the other dough into thin strips. Line these over the rim of the pan. Moisten the rim of the crust with water and refrigerate it for about 30 minutes.
2. Make The Pumpkin Pie
Whisk the brown sugar with nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves in a large bowl. Now, add milk, eggs, and pumpkin to the bowl. Whisk for about a minute to combine. Place the pie crust on the baking pan and transfer the pumpkin mixture from the bowl to the pie crust.
3. Bake And Serve
Bake the pie in the preheated oven (425 F) for about 10 minutes. Then, reduce the temperature to 350 F and bake for about 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and keep it aside to cool completely.
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Trans Fat||2 g|
|Vitamin A||8384 IU|
|Vitamin C||2 mg|
How Will Pumpkin Pie With Walnut Crust Look and Taste?
Pumpkin pie with walnut crust has crispy golden-brown crust filled with crunchy walnuts. The pumpkin filling has the flavors of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and, of course, pumpkin. It’s topped with chopped walnuts and is a perfect Thanksgiving dessert. Try this holiday recipe and give a perfect finish to your Thanksgiving meal.
Pumpkin Pie With Walnut Crust Recipe
- Plastic Wrap
- Pastry Blender
- Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour (plus more for parchment paper)
- 1/2 cup Ground Walnuts
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- Kosher salt
- 2/3 cup Vegetable Shortening (cold)
- 1/2 cup Dark-Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 15 ounces Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup Milk (evaporated)
- 2 Eggs (lightly beaten)
- Take a large glass bowl and combine walnuts, flour, granulated sugar, and salt in it. Ypu can use the pastry blender to cut it until the mixture resembles the coarse crumbs. Now, add a one-fourth cup of ice-cold water until pastry dough is formed. Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight or for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into two thin sheets and line one of them in the 9-inch pie plate and cut the other sheet into thin strips. Line these over the rim of the pan. Moisten the rim of the crust with water and refrigerate it for about 30 minutes.
- Take a large bowl and whisk in brown sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cloves. Now, add milk, eggs, and pumpkin to the bowl. Whisk again for about a minute to combine all flavors. Place the pie crust on the baking pan and transfer the pumpkin mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake this pie in the preheated oven (425 F) for about 10 minutes. Then, reduce the temperature of oven to 350 F and bake for further 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and keep it aside to cool completely.
I hope you liked this delicious Thanksgiving dessert. Share your experience with this recipe in the comments below and try other holiday recipes too.