Holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving are incomplete without pumpkin dishes. While people usually think of pumpkin pie, there’s so much more you can do with it. For example, turn the pumpkin into amazing pumpkin pie truffles using the recipe below.
Pumpkin pie truffles are so easy to make that you can enjoy the flavors of pumpkin pie and don’t actually have to go through the trouble of making an entire pie! Before I take you through the step-by-step process of making these bite-sized truffles, let me tell you briefly about the ingredients that go into their making.
Pumpkin pie truffles are made using pumpkin puree, cream cheese, graham crackers, pumpkin spice, sugar, and chocolate. So, when you take a bite of these incredible truffles, you first taste dark chocolate and then comes a burst of pumpkin flavors.
Now, before you begin gathering all your ingredients, make sure to use the best quality chocolate. Moreover, when melting your chocolate in the double boiler, always melt it over very low heat. Always remember that moisture is the enemy of chocolate.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Pumpkin Pie Truffles?
- Double Boiler or Microwave – You will need a double boiler to melt the chocolate.
- Food Processor – A food processor will help you combine all the ingredients.
- Spatula – A spatula will help you to transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Fork – You will need two forks to dip the truffle balls in chocolate.
- Parchment Sheet – A parchment sheet will be required to keep the pumpkin truffles to rest for cooling.
- Skillet – You will need a skillet to prepare the pumpkin truffle topping.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Pumpkin Pie Truffles?
|Preparation Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|25 Minutes||5 Minutes||30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Pumpkin Pie Truffles?
- White Chocolate Chopped – To make this recipe, we will need ½ cup white chocolate to prepare the pumpkin balls.
- Pumpkin Puree – We will also require ¼ cup of pumpkin puree to form, which is the base and the main ingredient for this recipe.
- Graham Cracker Crumbs – You will also need ⅔ cup graham crackers to add to the pumpkin truffle mixture.
- Cream Cheese – This recipe calls for 1 ounce of cream cheese at room temperature as well. Cream cheese will make the pumpkin truffles soft and chewy.
- Powdered Sugar – You will require one tablespoon of powdered sugar to add the right amount of sweetness to the truffles.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – Pumpkin pie spice will bring much-needed fall flavors to the truffles.
- Salt – We will also use a pinch of salt to bring out the flavors.
- Unsalted Butter – We will need ½ tablespoon of unsalted butter to make the graham cracker sprinkling to decorate the truffles.
- Dark chocolate – Finally, you will need 6 ounces of dark chocolate to coat these amazing truffles.
Steps To Make Pumpkin Pie Truffles
1. Prepare The Pumpkin Pie Truffles Mixture
Take a double boiler and melt white chocolate. You can also use a microwave-safe bowl to melt the chocolate. If so, turn on the microwave for 45 seconds, and melt the chocolate in 15-second intervals until completely smooth.
In a food processor, add white chocolate, pumpkin puree, 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs, powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cream cheese, spice, and salt and pulse to combine. Now, transfer the mixture to a bowl. Cover it and chill the mixture for at least 2 hours.
2. Prepare The Topping
Heat butter in a small skillet. Now, add the remaining two tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs, and combine using a spatula. Toast the mixture for about 2 minutes and remove from heat and set aside.
3. Make Pumpkin Pie Truffles
Take out the chilled mixture from the refrigerator and roll out 1-inch balls. Place the prepared balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for about 15 minutes.
4. Prepare The Chocolate Coating
Take your dark chocolate and melt it in a double boiler or microwave. When the chocolate has melted properly, dip the prepared pumpkin balls individually into the melted chocolate using a fork. A fork will help you to drain off the excess chocolate. You can tap the wrist of the hand that is holding the fork with your other hand to drain excess chocolate.
Now, using a spoon, gently slide the truffle onto the baking sheet. Repeat the process for all the truffles. If the chocolate begins to cool, reheat it in the double boiler for a few minutes and continue to dip the truffles. Garnish each truffle with reserved graham cracker crumbs immediately and chill them for at least 1 hour before serving.
Tips for making Pumpkin Pie Truffles
I recommend you use high-quality white chocolate instead of chips as they give better results. Moreover, you can make your own pumpkin spice mix by combining 1 tsp of cinnamon with 1/4 tsp each of cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice.
One thing you should always keep in mind while dealing with chocolate is to melt it on low heat in a double boiler. This is because moisture spoils the texture of the chocolate. Never allow any water to get into the chocolate.
Best Coating for Pumpkin Pie Truffles
To make these delicious pumpkin pie truffles, you don’t only have to stop at dark chocolate. You can use any of your favorite chocolate! White chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate also tastes amazing with the pumpkin filling. But be sure to use the best quality chocolate.
How To Store Pumpkin Pie Truffles
Once you have prepared your pumpkin pie truffles, you should store them in the best way possible to enjoy them for a longer period of time. To do so, you can place pumpkin truffles in an airtight container to save them from catching any other odor and refrigerate them. These truffles can stay in the refrigerator for upto two weeks.
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.2 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Trans Fat||0.02 g|
|Vitamin C||0.2 mg|
How Will Pumpkin Pie Truffles Look And Taste Like?
Everyone loves truffles and when they come in fall flavors, things get even better. This classic bite sized dessert is the perfect dessert for your Halloween and Thanksgiving table. When you take a bite of these truffles you experience a beautiful pumpkin pie flavor along with coated white or dark chocolate. Pass around a plate of these delectable treats to have a great holiday season sweet treat!
Pumpkin Pie Truffles Recipe
- 1/2 cup White Chocolate
- 6 ounces Dark Chocolate
- 2/3 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1 ounce Cream Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- a pinch Salt
- Take your white chocolate and melt it in a double boiler. You can also do this in a microwave by heating the chocolate for 45 seconds, then in 15-second intervals until it's completely melted.
- In a food processor, add white chocolate, 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs, pumpkin puree, cream cheese, powdered sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Pulse to combine. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Cover the bowl and chill the mixture for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and add the remaining two tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs in a small skillet and stir to combine. Toast for about 2 minutes and remove from heat.
Assemble The Truffles
- Take out the chilled mixture from the refrigerator and roll it out into 1-inch balls.
- Place all the prepared pumpkin truffle balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for about 15 minutes.
- Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Now dip truffles individually into melted chocolate using a fork to drain off the excess chocolate.
- With the help of a spoon, gently slide the truffle onto the baking sheet. If the chocolate begins to cool, return it to the double boiler for a few minutes and continue to dip the truffles.
- Garnish each truffle immediately with reserved graham cracker crumbs and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What ingredients do you require to make pumpkin pie truffles?
To make these delicious holiday treats, you require pumpkin puree, cream cheese, graham crackers, pumpkin spice, sugar, and chocolate.
Is it necessary to use dark chocolate for coating?
No, it is not necessary to use dark chocolate as a coating for the pumpkin truffles. You can also use white chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate.
Can we prepare our own pumpkin spice at home?
Yes, we can prepare pumpkin spice at home. To do so, you can combine 1 tsp of cinnamon with 1/4 tsp each of cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice.