Today I will be sharing the recipe of Preserved Lemons. This vitamin C enriched recipe is easy to make at home.
These lemons play a vital role in North African kitchens. They use them to bring a great taste to stews, sauces and some other recipes to add a tang to them. It is also great for our body’s digestive system because of its prebiotic properties and the best part about this recipe is that it is quick and easy to make.
To prepare preserved lemons, cuts are made on lemons. Salt is added in these cuts and the jar in which the lemons have to be preserved. The jar is left aside for few days to get all the flavor. It is then refrigerated and used as per the requirement.
This is a summary of the recipe. You will get a detailed version of the recipe below. This recipe is perfect for adding lemon flavor to any dish. Whether its ice cream, tarts or any kind of food, these lemons can be a game changer. So let’s have a look at the ingredients of this recipe. Grab them and start with the recipe.
Ingredients For Preserved Lemons
- 8-10 Lemons (Meyer if you have them)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of Kosher Salt
- Extra Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Sterilized Quart Canning Jar
You just need 4 ingredients to make this recipe are readily accessible at any supermarket. But take a look in your pantry first. You may get them all in your ingredients. Check out the time you need to prepare this paste.
How Much Time It Will Take To Make Preserved Lemons?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 minutes||NIL||20 minutes|
By the preparation time, you can see how easy this recipe is. You cannot use the lemons as and when they are made. They have to be preserved for days before use. Now, let see the instructions to be followed by you.
Steps To Make Preserved Lemons
- Take the canning jar and add 2 tablespoons of salt at its bottom.
- Rinse the lemons. Cut the tip of lemons and cut them lengthwise into half. Do not cut them through. Make another cut to get the quartered lemon. Make sure you do not cut through.
- Open the lemon gently and sprinkle some salt inside out.
- Put them in the jar and press them down so that the juice comes out. Check all the lemons in the jar get immersed in the juice. If not, then add more juice. Add more salt on the top.
- Close the jar and let it rest at room temperature for few days. Shake the jar often. Put the jar in the fridge after few days for atleast 3 weeks, till the lemon turn soft.
To add some flavor to them, you can add cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, cloves, coriander seeds, bay leaf or peppercorns to the jar. These spices them up a little and may also make them aromatic.
Nutritional Breakdown Of Preserved Lemons
Lemons are a great source of vitamin C. Let’s see what else they can contribute in our health.
How To Make Preserved Lemons At Home | Video
For more clarity, I have uploaded the video. Watch the video once.
If you have any other queries, feel free to ask me your questions regarding the recipe. I will be happy to help you. Also, if you have any suggestions for a recipe you like to hear about, let me know in the comment section below. I will love to hear your suggestions. Have a good day!