Potato mojos are crispy, deep-fried, wonderfully battered potato slices. Full of flavor, this all-time favorite snack is easy-to-make. It takes just a handful of ingredients for getting this amazing snack all ready for one to devour.
Shakey’s Pizza, a popular U.S.-based restaurant chain, created the hype around potato mojos. Given the richness of its taste, you can’t help but cook some for yourself. You can also add your twist to it and modify the recipe to your own accords.
You should look for starchy potatoes while making mojos. It improves its overall texture and helps in holding the batter well. Mojos can be paired up with ketchup, hot sauce, ranch, or basically any dip of your preference. You can also get a can of soda for that extra pop to go with it.
So, gear up, grab a couple of potatoes, and embark upon this journey of making this amazing snack. You can find an easy-to-follow recipe and a list of required ingredients and equipment below.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Potato Mojos?
- Knife – A knife will be used to slice the potatoes.
- Bowls – The dry batter will be prepared in the first bowl. The wet batter will be whisked together in the other bowl.
- Measuring Cup – A measuring cup will be used to get an accurate amount of oil required to fry the mojos.
- Frying Pan – A frying pan will be used to fry the mojos.
- Paper Towel – The paper towel will be used to get rid of the excess oil from the fried mojos.
- Plates – The battered potato slices before frying will be placed on the first plate. The other plate will be used to serve the freshly cooked potato mojos.
- Straining Spoon – The straining spoon will be used to remove the potato mojos from the frying pan after frying.
- Spoon – The spoon will be used in mixing the ingredients together.
- Whisk – The whisk will be used to whisk the eggs.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Potato Mojos?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||15 Minutes||25 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Potato Mojos?
- Potatoes – Potatoes are the star of this recipe and will be used to make mojos.
- Breading Mix – Breading mix is one of the key ingredients in the batter and will be used to cover the potato slices.
- Salt – Add salt according to your taste.
- Pepper – Add a pinch of pepper as it will give the mojos a spicy kick.
- Cayenne Pepper – Add cayenne pepper to further add to the spicy profile of the mojos.
- Paprika – Incorporating paprika in the recipe will provide a bit of earthiness to the mojos, along with a sweet and peppery taste.
- Garlic Powder – Using garlic powder in the recipe will further enhance the flavor of the mojos.
- Thyme – Adding thyme will provide a lemony flavor to the mojos along with an intoxicating aroma.
- Eggs – Eggs will be used in order for the batter to stick to the potato slices.
- Vegetable Oil – Vegetable oil is required to fry the potato slices.
Steps To Make Potato Mojos
1. Time To Slice Some Potatoes
Take 4-5 potatoes and cut them into slices, thick or thin, as per your preference. Remember not to cut them too thick as thick potato slices won’t get fried evenly and can even be left raw.
2. Preparing The Dry Batter
In a bowl, add salt, cayenne pepper, thyme powder, paprika, garlic powder, pepper and mix them together using a spoon. Now, add the breading mix to the dry spices and mix them all together.
3. Drowning The Potatoes In The Batter
In another bowl, crack about 2-3 eggs and whisk them together. Now, take the potato slices and submerge them in the whisked eggs and then into the dry batter. Make sure that the slices are properly and evenly covered in the batter for best results.
4. Frying The Potato Slices
Take the frying pan and add about 2 cups of oil to it. Heat the oil on a high flame and then add the potato slices to the frying pan. Deep fry the potato mojos until they’re properly cooked while flipping them with a straining spoon and adjust the heat as needed.
5. Serving a Plate of Potato Mojos
After the mojos are fried, remove them from the frying pan using the strainer spoon. Place the mojos on the paper towel-lined plate to get rid of the extra oil. So, there you have it, a plate of delicious potato mojos. Serve them hot and crispy with any dip of your choice.
How Will Potato Mojos Look and Taste?
Potato mojos are golden brown, crispy fried potato slices and are hearty dishes. They are battered and thoroughly seasoned, which provides them with loads of flavor and is a delight to one’s taste buds.
Potato Mojos Recipe
- 4-5 Potatoes
- 1 ½ cups Breading Mix
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- A pinch of Black Pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Thyme Powder
- 2-3 Eggs
- 2 cups Vegetable Oil
- Cut the potatoes in slices. Remember not to cut them too thick.
- In a bowl, add salt, cayenne pepper, thyme powder, paprika, garlic powder, pepper and mix them together.
- Add the breading mix to the dry spices to the bowl with the mixed spices. Mix them together well.
- Dunk the potato slices dipped in whisked eggs into the dry batter.
- Now, deep fry the potato slices until they’re golden brown.
- Serve the potato mojos with the dip of your choices.
So, this was all about the recipe for potato mojos. Tell me in the comments how well did you like it. I’ll see you next time with another great recipe. Until then, happy eating!