Portuguese cuisine always remains in trend due to its unique cooking pattern and experimentation with food. Have you ever thought about an octopus on your plate? Yes, this deadliest creature can be converted into a yummy salad that will savour your taste buds and will be good for your gut also.
This amazing salad can be a part of your breakfast or an evening snack! According to the nutritional point of view, an octopus is a perfect choice because it is rich in iron, omega 3, selenium, copper and vitamin B12. Selenium is a mineral that is very important for protein metabolism during digestion. It also helps in the eradication of free radicals. Free radicals are the scavengers that inhibit the growth of normal cells of the body.
Along with the health benefits, this salad is very good for your taste buds! They won’t forget it easily and would like to have it again and again. Octopus as a food is bit tricky because we need special care of the cooking method. We cannot go for the frying and sauteing with octopus, so this salad would be an excellent option for octopus lovers.
Octopus with onion and bay leaves will give you a unique taste that will be unforgettable for you and you will like to share it with your friends and family. Let’s move ahead to know about the ingredients to make Portuguese Octopus salad.
Ingredients for Portuguese Octopus Salad
Here are the main ingredients to make octopus salad. Octopus is the main attraction here in this recipe. Bay leaves and coriander stems will help to provide that unique aroma to the salad. Now, let’s check the total time for making this octopus salad at home.
How Much Time Will It Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 minutes||30 minutes||40 minutes|
Now we will move towards the recipe for making this unique salad at home. The directions are given below.
Octopus Salad Recipe
- Remove the inedible parts of the octopus and soak it in water for 1 hour.
- Add 1 tsp vinegar and then rinse it in clean water.
- Turn the gas on at high heat and place the vessel containing water on it.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaves and lime zest (to remove the smell).
- Once the water starts boiling, put the lower part inside the water.
- Put it on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, check the octopus. If the fork goes quickly inside it, then it is ready for the salad.
- Dice the onions in small cubes.
- Dice red capsicums; they will add crunchiness.
- Cut the octopus and put it in a large salad bowl along with the other Vegetables.
- Now pour lime juice or vinegar on it.
- Add some coriander leaves and onion along with olive oil and serve it in a serving bowl.
The octopus salad is ready and you can serve it with any main course. You can have it as it is in the breaKfast or as an evening snack.
Nutritional Breakdown of Octopus Salad
Octopus is very rich in proteins, selenium and other vital nutrients that are important for a human body. So I’ve added a nutritional breakdown of this salad below.
How to Make Portuguese Octopus Salad at Home | Video
We have put a recipe video. In this, you can find the recipe and you can follow it and make it at your home very easily.
Try this Octopus Salad at home and tell us your experience in the comment section below. Do share this recipe with your friends and family. Also, check out other healthy salad recipes in our blog as well.