Pork picnic shoulder is juicy, crisp, and tender in texture. The roast is delicious and the recipe isn’t complicated but the process is time-consuming. You need to wait for a good six hours before you can enjoy this delicious roast. Perhaps start at noon and then, eat it for dinner.
Picnic shoulder is the most flavorful part of the meat. It is tough to cook, which is why it requires a lot of time as it has to be cooked slowly. This dish comes out so tender that you can even spoon out the meat easily.
To make pork picnic shoulder, cut slits on the roast. Rub black pepper and kosher salt and roast it for 30 minutes. After this, cover the pan tightly with foil and return it to the oven for 4 hours at 325oF. Add fat and vegetables to the pan in a way that they get partially covered with roast. Roast the pork along with the vegetables for another 1 ½ -2 hours.
If you can’t find fresh pork shoulder in your home, try picking something from the list of pork shoulder substitutes. This is just a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Beef Neck Bones– This Beef Neck Bones recipe requires a lot of time to be tender and luscious, but it’s definitely worth the effort.
2. Porketta Roast– Porketta roast is a very simple recipe. You just have to coat the pork roast with a blend of different spices and then, roast it. The pork meat is juicy and gives a delicious flavor when cooked along with the spices.
3. Prime Rib– This easy prime rib recipe has simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions that will allow even the most novice cook to have success!
4. Salmon Belly– Salmon belly is a very famous recipe around the globe. People from every part of the Pacific and Northern Region enjoy this recipe a lot. The recipe is basically from Norway but got famous in many parts of the world including South America and Japan.
Ingredients For Pork Picnic Shoulder
- 1 (6- to 8-pound) Pork Picnic Shoulder (with skin)
- Kosher Salt (to taste)
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 large Carrot (sliced)
- 1 medium Onion (cut in chunks)
- 4 cloves Garlic (halved)
- 2 ribs Celery (sliced)
- 4 Bay Leaves
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Pork Picnic Shoulder?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Total time|
|15 Minutes||6 Hours 30 Minutes||6 Hours 45 Minutes|
Steps To Make Pork Picnic Shoulder
- Preheat the oven at 450oF.
- Dry the roast by patting it. Score the skin and fat except the meat with a sharp knife. Cut slits with a gap of ½ inch.
- Rub kosher salt and ground black pepper all over the pork. Put some into the slits too.
- On a roasting pan, place the roast and roast it for 30 minutes. Now, carefully remove the pan and cover it tightly using heavy-duty foil. Put it back in the oven and roast it for 4 hours on the heat of 325oF.
- Remove the foil and pour few tablespoons of fat collected in the pan over the roast. Add garlic, onions, carrot, celery, and bay leaves to the pan. Position the roast likewise so that some of the vegetables get under it.
- Cover it with foil again and place it in the oven. Roast it again for 1 ½ to 2 hours until the skin becomes crisp and the meat becomes tender.
- Remove it from the oven and let it stand for some time before serving.
- Garnish it with a dip or sauce and enjoy.
Nutritional Breakdown of Pork Picnic Shoulder