If you are looking for a recipe that has all in one juicy, crisp and tender texture, then this recipe is for you. The recipe is pork picnic shoulder.
Picnic shoulder is the most flavorful part of the meat. It is tough to cook, which is why it requires a lot of time as it has to be cooked slowly. This dish comes out so tender that you can even spoon out the meat easily.
For making pork picnic shoulder, cut slits on the roast. Rub black pepper and kosher salt and roast it for 30 minutes. After this, cover the pan tightly with foil and return it to the oven for 4 hours at 325 degrees F. Add fat and vegetables to the pan in the way they get partially covered with roast. Roast for another 1 ½ -2 hours.
You will know the specifications of the recipe further. This recipe is so easy and simple that you will enjoy making it. There are no hard and fast rules that need to be followed to prepare this recipe. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Beef Neck Bones– This Beef Neck Bones recipe requires a lot of time to be tender and luscious, but it’s definitely worth the effort.
2. Porketta Roast– Porketta roast is a very simple recipe. You just have to coat the pork roast with a blend of different spices and then, roast it. The pork meat is juicy and gives a delicious flavors when cooked along with the spices.
3. Prime Rib– This easy prime rib recipe has simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions that will allow even the most novice cook to have success!
4. Salmon Belly– Salmon belly is a very famous recipe around the globe. People from every part of the Pacific and Northern Region enjoy this recipe a lot. The recipe is basically from Norway but got famous in many parts of the world including South America and Japan.
Ingredients For Pork Picnic Shoulder
- 1 (6- to 8-pound) pork picnic shoulder (with skin)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot (sliced)
- 1 medium onion (cut in chunks)
- 4 cloves garlic (halved)
- 2 ribs celery (sliced)
- 3 to 4 bay leaves
The ingredients for this recipe are readily accessible at any supermarket. So go grab them. You might even find them in your pantry. Have a look there before heading out. Let’s move on to the preparation time of this recipe.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Pork Picnic Shoulder?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Total time|
|15 Minutes||6 Hours 30 Minutes||6 Hours 40 Minutes|
It is a lengthy recipe because the meat has to be cooked to perfection. It has to be cooked till it becomes tender. See the instructions below to prepare this recipe.
Steps To Make Pork Picnic Shoulder
- Set the oven on preheat at 450 degrees F or 230 degrees C.
- Dry the roast by patting it. Score the skin and fat except the meat with a sharp knife. Cut slits with a gap of ½ inch.
- Rub kosher salt and ground black pepper all over the pork. Put some into the slits too.
- On a roasting pan, place the roast and roast it for 30 minutes. Now, carefully remove the pan and cover it tightly using heavy-duty foil. Put it back in the oven and roast it for 4 hours on the heat of 325 degrees F.
- Remove the foil and pour few tablespoons of fat collected in the pan over the roast. Add garlic, onions, carrot, celery, and bay leaves to the pan. Position the roast likewise so that some of the vegetables get under it. Or you can take out the roast and place the vegetables and then place back the roast. This part will be difficult if the pork has started becoming tender.
- Cover it with foil again and place it in the oven. Roast it again for 1 ½ to 2 hours until the skin becomes crisp and the meat becomes tender.
- Remove it from the oven and let it stand for some time before serving.
Garnish it with a dip or sauce.
Nutritional Breakdown of Pork Picnic Shoulder
Let’s check the nutrition of this meat recipe.
How To Make Pork Picnic Shoulder At Home | Video
If you are unclear of any step then watch the similar video I have uploaded of this recipe. It will definitely help you.
In case you have any query, feel free to write them up in the comment section below. I will be happy to help you with it. If you have any suggestions, use the same section to convey them to me. I will try my best to respond to the same. Have a great day!