If you are not living under a rock, you must have heard about the new Netflix show that has become a sensation, Squid Game. The game is a horror drama set in a dystopian world where contestants play children’s games but with a dark twist. One scene has particularly gone viral and people have been talking about it. It’s about the Squid Game cookie challenge.
The scene is violent and gory in nature, so it created quite a stir. But it made people curious about the cookie with a shape in the middle. The contestants had to break around the shape without breaking it. If they did it, they’d win. If they didn’t, well, that is a difficult conversation that I’m not gonna have anytime soon. The Squid Game cookie, in fact, isn’t a cookie at all. It is actually a Korean sugar sponge candy and is a popular candy in South Korea known as Dalgona Candy.
Remember the viral Dalgona coffee trend, this is where the coffee got its name. It’s because the coffee resembled this candy. This dalgona candy is not one bit hard to make. In fact, you need as little as two ingredients to make it. If you are a fan of the show or just want to follow the viral trend, here I will show you how to make the Squid Game cookie. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other dishes from the candy section of our blog.
1. Butterscotch Candy– Want to make your own delicious candy? Try making this butterscotch candy made with the sweetness of sugar and corn syrup. There’s a some honey and ofcourse butter. Cook it all up and eat once its set.
2. Watermelon Rind Candy– If you want to try a piece of nostalgia, quickly make these lemon drop candies. Just stir water, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a pan. Add a drop of honey and make these delicious lemon drop candies.
3. Cherry Sours Candy– There’s actually no cherry in the cherry sours candy. These delicious chewy candies are made from apple juice, golden syrup, jelo, koolaid, and some gelatin. Cover it all up until it sets then shape it to the horizons of your imagination.
4. Lemon Drop Candy– Have you ever thought to make a candy from watermelon peel? Well, you can and its absolutely delicious. Cook sugar, lemon peel, water, and watermelon rind. Cool it off to get a unique candy, all at home.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Dalgona Candy (Squid Game Cookie) ?
- Non-Stick Pan- You’ll need the non-stick pan to caramelize the sugar and to make sure it doesn’t stick to the pan or burn.
- Baking Sheet- Once you have made the caramelized and frothy sugar mixture, pour it on a baking sheet and let it cool there.
- Cookie Cutter- The shape in the middle is kind of the whole point of this cookie. You can use any shape of a cookie cutter. I’d suggest the one that’ll not break easily or you know what happens.
- Wooden Spoon- You can use a wooden spoon or even a chopstick to stir and mix the sugar and baking soda.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Dalgona Candy (Squid Game Cookie) ?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|3 Minutes||7 Minutes||10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make The Dalgona Candy (Squid Game Cookie) ?
- Sugar- Sugar is the main component of this cookie. This cookie is basically caramelized sugar.
- Baking Soda- Baking soda gives the candy the frothy and creamy look and the honeycomb-like texture.
Steps To Make Dalgona Candy (Squid Game Cookie)
1. Caramelize The Sugar
Heat a non-stick pan and add the sugar into it. Then, let the sugar melt and caramelize it while stirring continuously.
2. The Baking Soda Goes Next
Once the sugar is caramelized, remove the pan from heat and add the baking soda to it and stir it until it has a caramel coffee color and has liquified completely. You’ll need a dense mixture with pouring consistency.
3. The Only Shape That Matters
Now, pour the sugar mixture in a circle on a baking sheet and flatten it gently. After it has cooled down but is still soft, place the cookie cutter in the middle of it. Gently press it to make the shape in the cookie. Make sure you don’t press it too hard or the dalgona candy will crack or, worse, break.
4. Ready For The Squid Game
Once you have made the squid game cookie, let it harden. After that, you can use a needle to carve out the shape in the middle. Even if you break it, there won’t be dire consequences like there were in the show, except maybe a broken candy.
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
How Will The Squid Game Cookie Look And Taste Like?
The Dalgona Candy is round in shape with a shape embedded in the middle. You have to break the candy around the shape to take the shape out intact. It tastes sweet and somewhat like honeycomb but crunchy. This is the reason it is also called honeycomb candy.
Dalgona Candy (Squid Game Cookie) Recipe
- Non-Stick Pan
- Baking Sheet
- Cookie Cutter
- Wooden Spoon
- 1 ½ tablespoons Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- Place a non-stick pan over a medium-high flame and add the sugar to it. Let it melt and caramelize while stirring continuously.
- After that, remove the pan from heat and add the baking soda to it. Stir it until the baking soda combines with the sugar and looks somewhat frothy. You know it’s ready when the color turns into caramel coffee.
- Then, pour this mixture in circles on a baking sheet and press gently to flatten.
- While it’s still a bit soft, gently press the cookie cutter in the middle of the cookie. Don’t press it too hard or it will crack or break.
- Once the cookie hardens, it is ready to eat.
Do make this simple candy at home and tell us in the comments how well did you like it. Also, if you’d like us to cover some other viral recipes, mention them in the comments as well. See you next time.