Today, I will be sharing with you the recipe for healthy poppy seeds paste. It is an easy-peasy recipe that you can make at home following simple steps.
To make poppy seeds paste at home, start by soaking the seeds for three hours in water. Then, transfer it to the blending jar and add green chilies and salt to it. Grind them all finally and voila, the paste is ready to use.
You can find good poppy seeds at any supermarket. Most stores carry them but it’s worthwhile to pay a little more for a higher grade poppy seed that tastes sweeter. The cheaper poppy seeds have a slight bitterness to them.
This is just a summary of the recipe, more details are mentioned below. I love how simple and easy this recipe is. Before that, check out the other sauce recipes as well.
What's In The Post
Other Sauce Recipes That You Can Try
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Poppy Seeds Paste?
- Blender – Blend the ingredients in a blender until a smooth is formed.
- Bowl – Soak white poppy seeds in a bowl containing water for the recipe.
- Jar – Store the prepared white poppy seeds paste in a jar.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Poppy Seeds Paste?
|3 Hours 5 Minutes
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Poppy Seeds Paste?
- White Poppy Seeds – White poppy seeds is the key for this recipe. When ground, the nutty and sweet flavor of these seeds is perfect for the paste.
- Water – Soak poppy seeds in water for three hours until soft.
- Green Chilies – The spiciness of green chilies is one of the twist in poppy seeds paste.
- Salt – Add a pinch of salt while making the paste as it elevates and enhances the flavor.
Steps To Make Poppy Seeds Paste
1. Water Bath The Seeds
Soak the white poppy seeds in a bowl for 3 hours in warm water. That makes them soft and ready to use for the paste.
2. Grind Them
Once soaked, grind them in a blender. They should be similar to coffee grounds in consistency.
Now add ¼ cup of warm water, chilis, and salt to the blender. Blend everything until a smooth paste is formed.
Store it in the jar and use it when needed.
How Will Poppy Seeds Paste Look And Taste Like?
This white poppy seeds paste has a nutty, fruity sweetness. It’s also very slightly bitter. The seeds have a natural citrus-like essence when ground. The overall flavor profile is rich and sweet.
This soaked poppy seeds paste is thick and has a rich texture. It is extensively used in veggies, curries, or Turkish cuisine.
Poppy Seeds Paste
- ⅓ cup White Poppy Seeds
- 1 cup Water
- 3 Green Chilies
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Soak the white poppy seeds in a bowl for 3 hours in warm water. That makes them soft and ready to use for the paste.
- Once soaked, grind them in a blender. They should be similar to coffee grounds in consistency.
- Now add ¼ cup of warm water, chilis, and salt to the blender. Blend everything until a smooth paste is formed.
- Store it in the jar and use it when needed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is it necessary to grind poppy seeds for filling?
Yes, for a few reasons. One is to achieve a soft, smooth texture. Whole seeds will create an unpleasant crunch when added to pastries. Ground, these seeds release a different flavor than when they are whole. They become fruity, sweet, and earthy, adding a pleasant aroma and taste to a whole slew of desserts!
How do I store unused poppy seeds paste?
Poppy seeds paste is originally milk-based, so keep it refrigerated in an airtight container. It should stay good for 5 days. Be sure to cool completely before storing as well! You can also freeze mohn paste for a couple of months, though this will alter the consistency. This recipe is pretty quick and painless, so I really recommend making and serving it fresh.
How do you preserve poppy seeds paste?
The poppy seed filling can be stored for up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container. But it is best to prepare it freshly as the oils in the poppy seeds get rancid. The paste can be frozen in batches and thawed in the fridge overnight to be used for baking the next day.
What happens if you soak poppy seeds?
The outer surface of poppy seed can contain morphine and other opiates. When poppy seed is soaked in water to make the tea, the morphine and other opiates can seep into the water. Drinking this water can cause side effects or death due to the opiate content.
If you have any other queries, feel free to ask me your questions regarding the recipe for poppy seeds paste. I will be happy to help you.
Also, if you have any suggestions for a recipe you like to hear about. Let me know in the comment section below. I will love to hear your suggestions. Have a good day!