Everyone loves Popeyes and their fried chicken. What if I tell you that you can make the exact Popeyes fried chicken at your home. In this post, I am going to show you how you can do it.
Believe me; once you try this recipe, it will be better than the fried chicken that you eat at Popeye’s or any other outlet. Popeye’s make their fried chicken by marinating the chicken mixture of buttermilk and hot sauce overnight.
Moving forward, dip the chicken in the beaten eggs and dredge them in a flour mixture (flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and garlic powder). At last, fry those pieces in oil. Popeye’s fried chicken is ready!
Make sure you follow the complete recipe below, which tells cooking steps in detail on making a perfectly crispy fried chicken. But before getting the instructions, check out our other copycat recipes below.
1. Popeyes Buttermilk Biscuits – Popeyes buttermilk biscuits are easy-to-make fluffy biscuits. These biscuits are a smooth combination of buttermilk, milk, and all-purpose flour. These biscuits can be enjoyed as a side dish with any main course dish.
2. Popeyes Red Beans And Rice – Popeyes red beans and rice has red beans cooked to perfection with smoked ham. It’s spiced up by adding onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and lard. This dish is paired with steamed rice and can be enjoyed as a main course dish.
3. Popeyes Chicken Sandwich – Popeyes chicken sandwich is a soft and fluffy sandwich. It’s a delicious combination of chicken patty, mayonnaise, pickles, and spices. You can choose to add lettuce, tomatoes, and onions to this sandwich. This sandwich has fried chicken patty flavored with onion powder, garlic powder, and hot sauce.
4. Popeyes Cajun Rice – Popeyes Cajun rice is a hearty combination of steamed rice and Cajun spices. This dish has steamed rice cooked with ground beef and chicken. This mixture is braised with the flavors of garlic, celery flakes, salt, red pepper, and Cajun seasoning.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Popeyes Fried Chicken?
- Large Bowl – Make the buttermilk and hot sauce mixture in the bowl and marinate the chicken in it.
- Medium Bowl – Use the medium bowl to make the egg, water, and hot sauce mixture.
- Dutch Oven – Fry the chicken in the Dutch oven.
- Spoon – Mix all the elements nicely using a spoon.
- Paper Towels – Use some paper-towels for soaking excess oil.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Popeyes Fried Chicken?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Marinating Time||Total Time|
|35 Minutes||35 Minutes||3 hours||4 Hours 10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Popeyes Fried Chicken?
- Chicken – You’ll be needing a whole chicken for this recipe.
- Buttermilk – Immerse the chicken fillets in the buttermilk for better texture and taste.
- Hot Sauce – Marinate the chicken in a hot sauce mixture to spice up the chicken filets.
- Eggs – Coat the chicken fillets with egg mixture to achieve desired crispy texture.
- Water – Add half a cup of water to the egg mixture. Adding water will result in better consistency.
- Kosher Salt – Season the chicken with salt.
- All-Purpose Flour – Cover the chicken with flour so that it becomes crispy when fried.
- Smoked Paprika – Smoked paprika will bring out the enhanced flavors.
- Black Pepper – Season the chicken fillets with a pinch of black pepper.
- Cayenne Pepper – Spice up the chicken with a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Garlic Powder – Add all these spices to the flour so that even the chicken skin is flavored.
- Peanut Oil – Fry the chicken in peanut oil.
Steps To Make Popeyes Fried Chicken
1. Making The Hot Buttermilk Marinade
Take a large bowl and pour buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of hot sauce (Tabasco) into it. Stir it well and add the chicken pieces to the bowl. Cover and refrigerate it overnight or for 3 hours.
2. For The Egg Mixture And Flour Mixture
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, water and 1 tablespoon hot sauce. Take another large bowl and stir together flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Then, take the chicken pieces out from the marinade. Dip them in the egg wash first and then dredge them in the flour mixture. Shake off the excess flour and repeat the dipping and dredging one more time.
3. Now, We Fry
To fry the chicken, take a large Dutch oven. Pour oil into it to a depth of 2½ inches and heat it to 325°F. Fry 4 pieces at a time for about 8 to 10 minutes until they turn golden brown. Soak excess oil on paper towels. Your Popeye’s fried chicken is ready.
How Will Popeyes Fried Chicken Look And Taste Like?
The chicken is delicious with crispy golden skin. The fired skinh, which is the flour mixture, is spicy and crispy. Inside is a tender and juicy chicken. You can enjoy it with your favorite dips like honey mustard or chili mayo.
Popeyes Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1 pound Whole Chicken
- 3 cups Whole Buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons Hot Sauce
- ⅓ cup Water
- 3 large Eggs
- 2 ½ tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 3 teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Oil (for frying)
- Take a large bowl. Stir buttermilk and 2 tablespoons of hot sauce (Tabasco) in the bowl.
- Marinate chicken in buttermilk mixture. Cover and refrigerate it overnight.
- Now, take a medium bowl and whisk together eggs, water and 1 tablespoon hot sauce.
- Take another large bowl and stir together flour, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- To fry the chicken, take a large Dutch oven and pour oil to a depth of 2 1/2 inches.
- Heat the oil to 325°F and remove the chicken from buttermilk.
- Dip those chicken pieces in the egg mixture and then dredge in the flour mixture.
- Shake off the excess flour and repeat the above step 7 once again (dipping chicken in flour and dredging in flour mixture).
- Fry 4 pieces at a time for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Soak excess oil on paper towels.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Popeyes fry their chicken?
Popeyes chicken is freshly hand battered, then breaded and fried up. You’ll know the difference in the first bite. It’s extra crispy on the outside with a loud, mouth-watering crunch, and juicy and bursting with bold Louisiana flavor on the inside.
How long does Popeyes fry their chicken?
Popeyes fry their chicken for 30-40 minutes.
Is Popeyes Chicken frozen?
Popeyes bone-in chicken is always fresh and never frozen.
Which is healthier Popeyes or KFC?
Popeyes appears to be the bigger nutrition bomb in comparison with KFC.
Don’t forget to make this crispy fried chicken at your home and leave your experience, suggestions and queries in the comment section below. I’ll be happy to hear from you. Till then, happy eating!