Popeyes has a very tempting menu, but their coleslaw is exceptionally tremendous and out of the world. If you want to enjoy the same coleslaw served at Popeyes, this recipe for Popeyes Coleslaw is for you.
The Popeyes Coleslaw is a great side dish and accompanies almost every meal. You can make some of it beforehand, serve it with your meal, and enjoy the refreshing and crunchy flavors.
Today, we will learn all about Popeyes Coleslaw and see if we can make a similar recipe. I am sure that at the end of this conversation, you will have the best coleslaw of all time to enjoy with your friends and family.
What's In The Post
Does Popeyes Have The Best Coleslaw In The Fast Food Game?
Yes, Popeyes has the best coleslaw in the fast food game. The Daily Meal says Popeyes Coleslaw is just as craveable as its poultry, and I agree with the statement as the flavors of coleslaw at Popeyes are unmatched.
Popeyes has been known for its chicken, but the coleslaw served at Popeyes is even better and needs proper appreciation.
If you wonder what is so special about coleslaw at Popeyes, the secret of the recipes lies in the dressing, which enhances the flavors of other ingredients. Undoubtedly, Popeyes has the best coleslaw, and you must try it.
Is This The Exact Popeyes Coleslaw Recipe?
Yes, this is the exact Popeyes Coleslaw recipe. If you crave Popeyes Coleslaw and want to make some at home, this recipe is for you. You will enjoy almost authentic flavors like those served at Popeyes.
From the crunch of the coleslaw to the flavorful notes, it will take a lot of work to distinguish between the original and the homemade coleslaw. The only difference in our homemade Popeyes Coleslaw is that it includes no additives or preservatives.
How Is Popeyes Coleslaw Different From Regular Coleslaw?
One can quickly tell the difference between regular coleslaw and Popeyes Coleslaw. This is possible because the recipe that Popeyes follows is very different. The very first difference you will notice is the sweetness of the coleslaw.
Popeyes Coleslaw uses a lesser quantity of carrots in its recipe as compared to regular coleslaw, which makes it sweeter. The other significant difference between Popeye’s and traditional coleslaw is the recipe’s dressing.
Popeye’s Coleslaw incorporates vinegar, imparting a notable flavor. In contrast, regular coleslaw recipes typically rely on buttermilk or lemon juice for dressing. The other big difference between traditional and Popeyes Coleslaw is the addition of sweet relish in Popeyes Coleslaw, a game changer.
Why You’ll Love This Popeyes Coleslaw Recipe?
There are so many reasons for you to love this Popeyes Coleslaw recipe:
1. Flavorful Notes
Popeyes Coleslaw has a sweet, sour, tangy, and zesty flavor, which is simply delicious, and you will be asking for more. You will enjoy the refreshing flavors of the coleslaw.
2. Easy Pairing With Other Dishes
You can pair Popeyes Coleslaw with many savory recipes and enjoy the crunchy yet zingy bites. I love to combine coleslaw with fried chicken or add some to cold sandwiches.
3. Easy To Make
This recipe is easy to make and can be prepared quickly. You need to combine the ingredients and enjoy a very flavorful and refreshing dish.
4. Too Healthy
The ingredients used in this recipe are healthy. Popeye’s uses vegan mayonnaise, which makes this recipe vegan and gluten-free. You get lots of fiber and carbohydrates—a perfect addition to your meal.
Equipment Required For This Popeyes Coleslaw
- Bowl – A Bowl will be required to combine all the ingredients.
- Knife – The recipe calls for chopped vegetables, for which you need a sharp knife.
- Whisk – Mix all the dressing ingredients nicely with the help of the whisk.
- Tong – With the help of a tong, you need to mix the veggies with the prepared dressing.
Is This Popeyes Coleslaw Vegan or Gluten-Free?
Yes, the Popeyes Coleslaw is vegan and gluten-free as well. They use vegan ingredients, including mayonnaise, and even though most of the menu items are not gluten-free, coleslaw at Popeyes is gluten-free.
Popeyes Coleslaw Ingredients
- Vegan Mayonnaise – To make coleslaw, you would need some mayonnaise. Popeyes uses vegan mayonnaise in their recipe, and I would recommend the same. Mayonnaise is the base ingredient for making coleslaw, which gives a creamy and smooth texture.
- Mustard Sauce – Combine the mustard sauce with the veggies and enjoy the sweet yet a hint of spiciness in the recipe.
- Vegetable Oil – If you want to retain the moisture in the recipe, then a tablespoon of oil will do right for you. Also, adding oil will ensure you can store it for 2-3 days after adding a splash of vinegar.
- Vinegar – As mentioned above, oil and vinegar will keep your coleslaw suitable for 2 to 3 days. You also get to enjoy a few tangy notes with the addition of vinegar in the recipes.
- Sweet Relish – Popeyes Coleslaw is different from others because it is more favorable, and sweet relish makes a difference. You can prepare sweet sauce with pickled or fresh cucumbers seasoned with vinegar, sugar, salt, and spices. Add the extra flavors and make your bland coleslaw much more delicious.
- Carrot – Slice the carrots thinly and add to the coleslaw. Your coleslaw will be crunchy, colorful, and very flavorful.
- Onions – Dice the fresh onions and add them with other vegetables. Onions will add great flavor to the coleslaw and make it more fulfilling.
- Cabbage – The heart of coleslaw – cabbage is for sure a need. Make sure that you chop them very nicely. Cabbage will give your coleslaw the right crunch, and the flavors will be refreshing.
- Sugar – A teaspoon of sugar is added to the coleslaw to bring out the flavor and balance the tangy flavors from the vinegar.
- Salt – Without a pinch of salt, your coleslaw will be bland. Add a teaspoon of salt to your taste and enjoy.
- Black Pepper – Adding black pepper will make your coleslaw a little spicy, and you will love the sensational feeling on your tongue because of the black pepper. Season the coleslaw with a pinch of black pepper, and you have a flavorful recipe.
Popeyes Coleslaw Ingredients Substitutions
- Vegan Mayonnaise – As Popeyes uses vegan mayonnaise, you have the choice to go with non-vegan mayonnaise as well.
- Mustard Sauce – If you think that the flavors of mustard sauce are sharp for you, try Balsamic vinaigrette instead, and I am sure it works for you.
- Vegetable Oil – You have plenty of options instead of vegetable oil. I prefer olive oil as it is much healthier and has a decent flavor.
- Vinegar – Using lemon or lime juice instead of vinegar can make a great substitution. Like vinegar, lemon or lime juice will add the sourness and also.
- Sweet Relish – If you don’t want to use sweet relish in your coleslaw, consider adding chopped dill pickles.
- Carrot – Celery roots would make an excellent substitute for carrots. Chop the celery roots and add in the coleslaw just like you would add carrots.
- Onions – If you feel that the onions are making your coleslaw more sharp and adding unwanted flavor, consider adding some fresh chives.
- Cabbage – We know that cabbage is the heart of coleslaw. However, you can skip adding cabbage and instead use broccoli or celery to make your coleslaw crunchy.
- Sugar – Use honey or maple syrup instead of sugar in coleslaw. This will add more depth to the dish.
- Salt – Skip adding salt and instead squeeze some lemon juice to make your coleslaw more flavorful.
- Black Pepper – Using garlic powder instead of black pepper is also a great idea. Also, you can consider peppercorns to add a slight spiciness to the coleslaw.
Popeyes Coleslaw Preparation + Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||10 Minutes||15 Minutes|
Popeyes Coleslaw Recipe Steps
Step 1- Take a bowl filled with a cup of mayonnaise and mix a teaspoon of sweet relish to it.
Step 2- Add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard to prepare the dressing.
Step 3- Then, add a teaspoon of oil to the mayo mix.
Step 4- Now take some sugar to add the sweet flavors in the dressing.
Step 5- Further, add a teaspoon of vinegar for citric flavors.
Step 6- Finally, season the dressing with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Step 7- Now to assemble the coleslaw, take a bowl, add chopped cabbage and carrot.
Step 8- Add chopped onions to the vegetable mix.
Step 9- Pour the dressing over the vegetable mix and mix it well.
Step 10- Once the veggies are well combined with the dressing, serve it with sweet pickle relish and enjoy.
Tips To Make This Popeyes Coleslaw Better
Suppose you are trying to make Popeyes Coleslaw at home. In that case, there are a few tips that can help you to make an exactly similar dish to Popeyes. Follow the directions, and you will be thanking me later.
1. Use Fresh Cabbage
If you want to make your coleslaw as flavorful as served at Popeyes, make sure to use fresh cabbage. It will add the required crunch and goodness of cabbage to the dish. If possible, avoid already shredded cabbage and enjoy new and delicious coleslaw at home.
2. Use Good Quality Vegan Mayonnaise
As mentioned, unlike other menu items at Popeyes, the coleslaw served is vegan and of excellent quality. Make sure that you also use a good quality mayonnaise and try going for a vegan one. Mayonnaise will make your coleslaw more tasteful and refreshing.
3. Make Sure That Seasoning Is Well
While you add salt and pepper to your coleslaw, make sure that you add enough of it. If required, add more and make your coleslaw better and tasteful.
4. Add The Carrots
I know that the original recipe calls for carrots but in small quantities. However, add more carrots to make your coleslaw sweeter and more colorful.
5. The addition Of Apple Cider Vinegar Is A Must.
To add that shine and flavor, the recipe calls for some vinegar. You can always go for some apple cider vinegar, which goes well with the recipe and adds extra shine.
6. Refrigeration Is Important
After you combine every ingredient nicely, it would be great to refrigerate it for at least an hour. This will elevate the overall flavors of the dish, and you can enjoy chilled coleslaw.
Popeyes Coleslaw Recipe Video
Here is the full video for this recipe of Popeyes coleslaw recipe.
How To Customize The Crunch Of This Coleslaw?
The coleslaw served at Popeyes is very crunchy, and if you wish to have the same or more crunch in your coleslaw, make sure that you cut the cabbage in the right way. For the crunch, we need finely sliced cabbage.
If your cabbage is a little soggy, add some salt, which will pull out all the moisture. It is best if you add fresh cabbage to the coleslaw.
You can also cut the cabbage and store it in the refrigerator’s crisper drawer after placing it in a zip-lock plastic bag. The original recipe uses carrots in a moderate amount. Still, you can always buy extra carrots and enjoy the crunchy bites. Ensure you rinse the cabbage and carrots in cold water and dry them properly, leaving no moisture.
How Will This Coleslaw Look & Taste Like?
If you follow the recipe exactly, this coleslaw will taste very similar to the one served at Popeyes. Firstly, you will enjoy the crunchy texture in every single bite. As the recipe calls for sweet relish, you will want subtle sweet notes.
Adding mayonnaise will give a very creamy flavor with a hint of tanginess.
If we talk about how the coleslaw will look, then you will see a colorful bowl as cabbage and carrots are added. Also, because of mayonnaise and vinegar, the texture of the coleslaw will be smooth and shiny.
Why Is Your Coleslaw Soggy?
If you find your coleslaw soggy, it is probably because of the cabbage. As already mentioned, you need to make sure that the cabbage is dried properly.
Try salting the cabbage and then rinse thoroughly in cold water. This will ensure the cabbage is crunchy, and your coleslaw won’t be soggy anymore.
Is This Popeyes Coleslaw Healthy?
Yes, Popeyes coleslaw is healthy. The recipe uses fresh vegetables and is packed with fiber and lots of vitamins. It is also a great source of carbohydrates and provides protein as well.
The addition of vegan mayonnaise makes sure that you keep your diet on the right track. With only 193 calories, Popeyes coleslaw has 8.4 mg of cholesterol and 13 g of fats. Overall, we can say that Popeye coleslaw is a healthy addition to your diet.
Popeyes Coleslaw is not only delicious but very healthy as well. Adding this to your meal can help you to gain some essential nutrients. Let us see a brief table about the nutritional content of Popeyes coleslaw.
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
Tips To Make This Coleslaw Healthy
If you want to make your coleslaw more healthy, then you can follow some essential tips for the same:
- Use lemon juice or Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
- Add more colors to the coleslaw, like bell peppers, to make it healthier.
- You can use olive oil instead of vegetable or almond oil, as it has better nutritional content.
- Make sure to add a few extra carrots for more fiber and flavor.
- You can reduce or eliminate the addition of sugar and add a little bit just for the flavor. Also, if you add carrots, the sweet notes will automatically enhance.
Can You Make This Coleslaw Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make the coleslaw ahead of time. Prepare the coleslaw and refrigerate it in an airtight container. Coleslaw can stay fresh for around 2 hours at room temperature, and once refrigerated, you can enjoy it for three to five days without any problem. One trick to keep your coleslaw fresh and not soggy is to salt cabbage. You can also prepare the ingredients and combine them when serving.
How Can You Store This Coleslaw Properly?
Storing it correctly is a must to enjoy coleslaw for a long time. You can follow some simple steps to ensure that coleslaw is kept ideally.
- Use an airtight container and store the coleslaw in the fridge.
- Make sure that the temperature of the refrigerator is even all the time.
- Store the coleslaw for at most five days.
- Keep the dressing separately and combine the ingredients at the time of serving.
What To Serve With Popeyes Coleslaw?
Popeyes Coleslaw is a versatile dish that can be paired with almost every other food item. However, some great recipes will pair well with the fresh and delicious coleslaw:
- Popeyes Chicken Tenders – Popeyes chicken tenders are to die for, and you can elevate the overall flavor by placing some fresh Popeyes coleslaw on the side. This way, you can enjoy tender chicken with chilled and creamy coleslaw. A pair that sounds like it was made in heaven.
- Burger King’s Cheesy Tots– If you love Burger King’s cheesy tots as a go-to snack, I recommend pairing it with Popeyes coleslaw. You will love the crunchy notes with cheesy bites. It’s a perfect love story of flavors. Try it once, and I am sure you will love this combination.
- KFC Chicken Drumsticks – What goes great with KFC chicken drumsticks? You will be surprised to learn that Popeyes coleslaw is a perfect pair. I love the crispy chicken bites with creamy coleslaw. It works as a great side dish, and the flavors of coleslaw complement the savory chicken drumsticks.
- Burger King’s Fish Sandwich – If you have yet to try Burger King’s fish sandwich with Popeyes coleslaw, this is your sign. I usually take the Popeyes Coleslaw and fill in between the fish sandwich to make my version. You can eat them separately as well, but at least once, you got to try my way too.
- Popeyes Chicken Sandwich – If you are planning to eat a Popeyes chicken sandwich, you have to pair it with Popeyes coleslaw. You can eat the coleslaw with the sandwich or place the coleslaw between the sandwich and enjoy a new version of the Popeyes chicken sandwich.
Popeyes Coleslaw Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Relish
- ½ cup Carrot (chopped)
- ½ cup Onions (chopped)
- ½ cup Cabbage (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Take a bowl filled with a cup of mayonnaise and mix a teaspoon of sweet relish to it.
- Add a tablespoon of Dijon mustard to prepare the dressing.
- Then, add a teaspoon of oil to the mayo mix.
- Now take some sugar to add the sweet flavors in the dressing.
- Further, add a teaspoon of vinegar for citric flavors.
- Finally, season the dressing with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Now to assemble the coleslaw, take a bowl, add chopped cabbage and carrot.
- Add chopped onions to the vegetable mix.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetable mix and mix it well.
- Once the veggies are well combined with the dressing, serve it with sweet pickle relish and enjoy.
- If you want to make your coleslaw as flavorful as served at Popeyes, make sure to use fresh cabbage. It will add the required crunch and goodness of cabbage to the dish.
- Make sure that you also use a good quality mayonnaise and try going for a vegan one.
- While you add salt and pepper to your coleslaw, make sure that you add enough of it. If required, add more and make your coleslaw better and tasteful.
- I know that the original recipe calls for carrots but in small quantities. However, add more carrots to make your coleslaw sweeter and more colorful.
- To add that shine and flavor, the recipe calls for some vinegar. You can always go for some apple cider vinegar, which goes well with the recipe and adds extra shine.
- After you combine every ingredient nicely, it would be great to refrigerate it for at least an hour. This will elevate the overall flavors of the dish, and you can enjoy chilled coleslaw.
Without any doubt, Popeyes Coleslaw is a star. It is so easy to make and tastes very refreshing. You can pair it with many dishes and enjoy the great experience. If you want to make coleslaw precisely like it is served at Popeyes, then follow the recipe, and I am sure that you won’t be disappointed.
Other than the fantastic coleslaw, there are other great recipes exactly like Popeyes that you can try. If you like Popeyes Fried Chicken and Popeyes Chicken Tenders, check the recipe out and enjoy.
You can also try Popeyes Chicken Sandwich, Popeyes Popcorn Shrimp, Popeyes Buttermilk Biscuits, Popeyes Cajun Gravy, and Popeyes Red Beans And Rice. I will be back soon with more exciting recipes so you can try them and enjoy them at home. Until then, happy cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Popeyes coleslaw made of?
Unlike other coleslaw recipes, Popeyes coleslaw isn’t made with buttermilk or lemon juice. Popeyes Coleslaw is packed with fresh veggies, sweet pickle relish, vinegar, mustard, and mayonnaise.
Does Popeyes have good coleslaw?
Popeyes coleslaw is delicious and loved by many people. It is so refreshing that you would not want to have anything after eating Popeyes coleslaw.
Is Popeyes coleslaw vegan?
Popeyes vegan coleslaw has vegan mayonnaise added to it. They serve vegan coleslaw at their restaurants.
Did Popeyes discontinue coleslaw?
Popeyes didn’t discontinue the coleslaw. It is still served in all their outlets.
Is coleslaw healthy to eat?
As it is loaded with fresh veggies and rich spices, Popeyes coleslaw is healthy and highly nutritious, packed with vitamins and fiber.