Pittsburgh-style steak is not a regular steak style. It is cooked quickly at high temperatures so that the meat crust is charred and the inside is raw and rare. This dish might not have a vast fan base but has a devoted and keen following.
Talking about this dish’s origin, it is said that the Pittsburgh-style steak came out of Pittsburgh’s steel mills. The mill workers just had about half an hour for their lunch and needed to have a high-calorie, stomach-filling meal only at that time. So, they cooked the steak on blast furnaces at temperatures more than 2000oF. That’s how the steak gained its texture.
To make a Pittsburgh-style steak salad, roast the sweet potatoes in the oven after drizzling olive oil and seasoning. Cook the steak and let it rest. Then, cut the steak. In a bowl, add the potatoes, steak and chopped vegetables. Prepare the dressing and drizzle it over the salad. Toss well and serve.
This was a snippet of the recipe. Find the recipe below, along with the ingredients, timings and nutritional information. But before going to the full recipe, let’s check out some other healthy salads as well.
1. Cobb Salad– Cobb salad is a protein-rich meal and was invented by Robert Cobb. It is famously known as American garden salad. It is loaded with chicken, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, vegetables, avocado, and chives.
2. Poke Bowl– Poke is raw fish that is diced and is usually served as an appetizer. When served as a main course, it is served as a poke bowl. It is one of the main dishes of Native Hawaiian cuisine.
3. Tarragon Chicken Salad– Tarragon chicken salad is an easy-to-make delicious salad. It has a creamy mayonnaise dressing and the chicken is tender. It is really easy to make and is high in protein.
4. Chicken Bowl– A chicken bowl is a hearty bowl of ingredients loaded with flavours and nutrition. It has a lot of vegetables, rice and chicken. It fills your gut and is really healthy. It is also not that hard to make.
Pittsburgh Style Steak Salad Recipe
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- ½ tbsp Chilli Powder
- ½ tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 ½ lb. Flank Steak
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Heads Lettuce
- 2 ears Corn
- 1 Chopped Cucumber
- 1 Chopped Avocado
- ½ Chopped Red Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Lemon Zest
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Scallion Tops
- 1 cup Cilantro
- 1 cup Parsley
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 425˚ F. Place the sweet potatoes on a lined sheet pan and drizzle olive oil. Then, sprinkle chilli powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Roast them in the oven for 30 minutes to make the potatoes soft.
- In the meantime, heat a cast iron pan on medium heat and pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil on it. Now, add to it the steak seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook each side for 4 minutes, cover it with a lid and rest for 10 minutes.
- While the steak rests, prepare your dressing. Process all the ingredients of the dressing in a high-speed blender until they’re smooth. You may add water to attain the required consistency of the dressing.
- Now, cut the steak across the grain.
- In a large bowl, add corn, tomatoes, red onion, lettuce, cucumber and avocado. To this, add the steak and roasted sweet potatoes.
- To serve the salad, drizzle it with the dressing and dig in for a delicious and healthy bite.
I hope this recipe was informative and helpful. Do share your experiences and suggestions in the comment section. Keep trying to make new recipes and reach out for help anytime. Till then, happy eating!