For all the friends who are new to this dish, I’ll brief you on it a bit. Pittsburgh Style Steak is not a regular steak style. It is cooked quickly at high temperatures so that the meat crust is charred and the inside is raw and rare. This dish might not have a vast fan-base but has a devoted and keen following.
Talking about this dish’s origin, it is said that the Pittsburgh Style Steak came out of Pittsburgh’s steel mills. The mill workers just had about half an hour for their lunch and needed to have a high-calorie, stomach-filling meal only at that time. So, they cooked the steak on blast furnaces at temperatures more than 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s how the steak gained its texture.
I learnt about the dish from my uncle when I visited him last winter. He made me a Pittsburgh Style Steak Salad and I, being a foodie, had to learn the process of cooking it. Last week, I cooked it for my friends, with some fantastic salad and dressing, and loved it. So, why not share the recipe with you all! The steak salad also comes with good nutrition as it has a lot of veggies added to it. I will talk about the nutrition in the end. I have all the ingredients and timing details listed for you.
Most of the ingredients listed below are readily available in your kitchen or the nearby supermarket. I went grocery shopping and collected mine. You can have a quick look into the ingredient table below and grab yours on your next visit to the market.
Ingredients for Steak Salad
|Extra Virgin Olive Oil||As needed|
|Salt and Black Pepper||To taste|
|Chilli Powder||½ tbsp|
|Garlic Powder||½ tbsp|
|Flank Steak||1 ½ lbs|
|Cherry Tomatoes||1 Pint|
|Lemon Juice and zest||Of 1 lemon|
|Apple cider vinegar||2 tbsp|
|Salt and freshly grounded black pepper||To taste|
|Avocado oil mayonnaise||1 cup|
Now, you all must be waiting to know the time this dish will take. Well, to have the best results, you need to invest in an hour and believe me, the steak becomes juicier with every minute. Let’s check the table below for proper time management of the dish.
Pittsburgh Style Steak Salad Recipe
- Firstly, prepare the potatoes, preheat the oven to 425˚ F. Place the sweet potatoes on a lined sheet pan and toss it in 2 tbsp of olive oil, chili powder, and garlic powder, salt and pepper and roast them in the oven for 30 minutes to make the potatoes soft.
- In the meantime, heat a cast iron pan on medium heat and pour 1 tbsp of olive oil on it. Now, add to it the steak seasoned with salt and pepper. Cook per side for 4 minutes, cover it with a lid, and rest for 10 minutes.
- While the steak rests, start preparing your dressing- process all the ingredients (mentioned in the ingredients table for the dressing) in a high-speed blender until they’re smooth. You may add water to attain the required consistency of the dressing.
- Now, cut the steak across the grain.
- In a large bowl, add corn, tomatoes, red onion, lettuce, cucumber and avocado. To this, add the steak and roasted sweet potatoes.
- To serve the salad, drizzle it with the goddess dressing and dig in for a delicious and healthy bite.
I added roasted peanuts to my salad for some more crunch. You can experiment with your salad too. So, try it out and let us know how your dish turned out to be.
Nutritional Breakdown of Steak Salad
As I mentioned earlier about the nutrition table, here it is. Check out the complete nutritional breakdown of the dish.
Note- The nutritional break down is for 1 serving of salad.
How to Make Pittsburgh Style Steak Salad at Home | Video
Our mind retains images more than the text. So, just to make things simple, I’ve added a video down below. Do check it out for help.
All you steak lovers, hope this recipe was informative and helpful for you all. Go for it if you want to try something different at home. This dish will not disappoint you. Do share your reviews and suggestions in the comment section. I’ll come up with some innovative and unique recipe next time; until then, keep trying out our recipes and reach for help, anytime.