Pho rice noodles recipe consist of a delicious broth, chewy noodles, and tender sirloin. It has a variety of strong, flavorful, and aromatic spices. The authentic pho rice noodles take some time to get ready, but they are really delicious and totally worth the wait.
To make Pho rice noodles, add water, beef chucks, and bones in a large pot and bring to boil. Add charred ginger, onions, fish sauce, and sugar to it. Simmer for about two hours.
Add a spice bag and cook for another two hours. Put the cooked beef, raw sirloin, and cooked noodles in a soup. Pour the broth over them. Top it with cilantro, scallions, and yellow onions, etc.
You can also experiment with the pho noodles toppings. Go for sliced onions, herbs, sliced onions, sliced jalapenos, bean sprouts, and even crispy fried shallots. These ingredients will be great addition as toppings.
This is just a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are many other recipes that you can make with rice, I highly recommend you to check them as well.
Other Rice Recipes That You Can Try
- Southwestern Rice
- Syrian Rice Recipe
- Jasmine Rice Recipe
- Carrot Rice Recipe
- Sticky Rice Recipe
- Chinese Fried Rice Recipe
- Brown Rice Recipe
- Italian Rice Recipe
- Black-Eyed Peas And Rice Recipe
- Buttered Noodles Recipe
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Pho Rice Noodles?
- Stockpot – Make the flavorful broth in the stockpot.
- Spatula – Use a spatula to combine all the ingredients.
- Knife – Chop off vegetables using a knife.
- Soup Bowls – Pour the pho rice noodles in the soup bowls and enjoy.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Pho Rice Noodles?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||4 Hours 30 Minutes||4 Hours 40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Pho Rice Noodles?
- Rice Noodles – Use thin, translucent noodles made from rice flour.
- Frozen Beef Sirloin – A lean cut of beef that is often used in pho soup due to its tenderness and rich flavor. Freezing it before use makes it easier to slice thinly.
- Beef Bones – The bones are roasted before simmering to add depth of flavor.
- Beef Chunks – Additional beef chunks used in the soup for more flavors, it will give you wholesome meal.
- Fish Sauce – Add fish sauce to bring umami flavors.
- Lime – Brighten up the soup with a lime.
- Ginger – In pho soup, ginger adds warmth and complexity to the broth.
- Yellow Onions – Yellow onions are used in the broth to add sweetness and depth of flavor.
- Sugar – Sugar balance the flavors in the broth.
- Scallions – Garnish the soup with scallions and make it look fresh.
- Cilantro – Cilantro will pop the flavor of the soup, and also add nutrition to it.
- Bean Sprouts – For a crunchy and refreshing topping, garnish with bean sprouts.
- Asian Basil – Asian basil adds peppery flavor to the soup.
- Saw-Leaf Herb Leaves – Saw-leaf herbs leaves have a strong, pungent flavor that is often used in Southeast Asian cuisine.
- Thai Bird Chilies – Thai bird chilies add heat to the broth and can be used as a garnish as well.
- Star Anise – For depth of flavors and strong aroma, add star anise to the broth.
- Cloves – Bring out warmth and spiciness to the soup with cloves.
- Sea Salt – Season the broth with sea salt.
- Black Pepper – Add mild spiciness with black pepper.
Steps To Make Pho Rice Noodles?
1. Boil Beef And Bones
Fill a pot with water, and add beef chunks and bones. Bring it to a boil for five minutes. Then, transfer them to a large stockpot filled with six quarts of boiling water.
Char ginger and onions over an open flame using tongs, and add them to the pot with fish sauce and sugar. Simmer for forty minutes.
Remove beef chunks one by one and submerge them in cool water for ten minutes to prevent them from darkening and drying.
2. Add Spices
Cook the broth for ninety minutes, and then add a spice bag with star anise and cloves. Boil for another thirty minutes, remove the spice bag and onions, and cook for at least two more hours.
Cook rice noodles in a separate saucepan with water for one minute.
3. Assemble Soup
Place a few beef chunks, slices of raw sirloin, and cooked noodles in preheated bowls. Pour three to four cups of broth into each bowl.
Garnish the soup with cilantro, scallions, bean sprouts, basil, herb leaves, Thai bird chilies, lime juice, and yellow onions. Sprinkle black pepper over it and serve.
How Will A Pho Rice Noodles Look And Taste Like?
Picture a steaming bowl of fragrant broth – that’s what the pho rice noodles are. The noodles are perfectly cooked and slightly chewy, and they soak up all the rich flavors of the broth.
But wait, there’s more! The bowl is also packed with tender slices of beef, fresh herbs like Thai basil and cilantro, and crunchy bean sprouts. It’s a complete feast.
The broth is the heart and soul of this dish. It has a savory, umami-packed broth that’s impossible to resist. You will see meat, broth, and noodles all in ne super bowl.
Pho Rice Noodles Recipe
- Soup Bowls
- 1 pound Rice Noodles
- ⅓ pound Frozen Beef Sirloin
- 5 pound Beef Bones
- 2 pound Beef Chunks
- ½ cup Fish Sauce
- 1 Lime
- 2 Ginger (peeled, cut into quarters)
- 2 Yellow Onions (cut into quarters)
- 3 tablespoon Sugar
- 3 Scallions
- ⅓ cup Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 pound Bean Sprouts
- 10 sprig Asian Basil
- 1 dozen Saw-Leaf Herb Leaves
- 6 Thai Bird Chilies
- 10 Star Anise
- 6 Cloves
- 1 (chopped) Sea Salt
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- In a pot, add water, beef chunks, and bones and boil for about 5 minutes.
- Fill another large stockpot with 6 quarts of water and bring it to a boil. Transfer the bones and beef to it. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Char ginger and onions over a flame using tongs.
- Add charred ginger and onions, fish sauce, and sugar to the pot with the beef. Simmer the pot for 40 minutes.
- To prevent the meat from darkening and drying, remove one piece at a time and submerge in cool water for about 10 minutes. Repeat the process for other pieces.
- Cook it for about 90 minutes. Then, wrap the star anise and cloves in a spice bag and add them to the broth.
- After boiling for 30 minutes, remove the spice bag and onions.
- Continue to cook the broth for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, add water to a saucepan. Add the rice noodles to it. Cook the noodles for about a minute.
- In preheated bowls, add a few beef chunks, slices of raw sirloin, and cooked noodles.
- About 3-4 cups of broth into each bowl.
- Garnish it with cilantro, scallions, bean sprouts, basil, herb leaves, Thai bird chillies, lime juice, and yellow onions. Sprinkle a little black pepper over it and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What ingredients do I need to make pho rice noodles?
To make pho rice noodles, you will need rice flour, water, and tapioca starch. You may also need a bit of oil and salt.
Can I use pre-made rice noodles for pho?
Yes, you can use pre-made rice noodles for pho. Look for rice noodles labeled banh pho or rice sticks.
How do I store leftover pho rice noodles?
To store leftover pho rice noodles, place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days.
What dishes can I make with pho rice noodles?
You can also use them in other Vietnamese dishes such as bun cha, bun bo Hue, and bun thit nuong.
Trust me, once you try this pho rice noodles recipe, you’ll be hooked. It’s the perfect comfort food for a chilly day, and it’s packed with so much flavor and goodness. Give it a try and let me know what you think!