Paula Deen tomato pie recipe is a real gem for pie lovers. It’s a newly invented southern recipe to enjoy all summer. A flakey pie crust filled with a creamy cheese filling, what else do you need for brunch?
All joyfully! Let me give you a quick idea about this whole pie recipe. So, first, you start by blanching tomatoes. Then use a pre-baked deep pie dish and layer the tomatoes.
Prepare a mayonnaise mixture and spread it over tomatoes. Sprinkle some herbs and seasoning. Let the oven do the rest of the work.
Wanna make your tomato pie tasty? If yes, then here are a few tips to keep in mind. For this pie, don’t use raw tomatoes as they are full of water, so they can make the pie soggy.
Moreover, to fill up your tomato pies, use dijon mustard or pimiento pepper dip for a tastier indulgence. Surely, you will be making a pie that everyone won’t forget.
With these tips and Paula Deen’s tomato pie recipe, you will be making savory tomatoes for your brunch. Before that, note down the recipe steps and check all the equipment you have for the recipe.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Paula Deen Tomato Pie?
- Oven – Bake tomato pie in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Baking Pie Dish – Use a pre-baked pie deep dish for the recipe.
- Saucepan – Blanch tomatoes in the saucepan.
- Bowl – Combine cheese mixture into the bowl.
- Spatula – Use a spatula to combine ingredients.
- Knife – Use a knife to slice the blanched tomatoes.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Paula Deen Tomato Pie?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||30 Minutes||45 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Paula Deen Tomato Pie?
- Tomatoes – First, blanch the tomatoes and then add them to the pie filling.
- Deep Pie Dish Shell – To make the tomato pie dish, buy a deep pie dish shell from the market.
- Mayonnaise – Add mayonnaise to the cheese mixture for a creamy texture.
- Cheddar Cheese – Mayonnaise and cheddar cheese make a good combination when added to tomato pie filling.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Mozzarella cheese is quite milky, which also adds a creamy texture.
- Green Onions – Sprinkle some green onions on the pie for a refreshing flavor.
- Basil Leaves – Basil adds a nice minty flavor to the pie dish.
- Salt – A pinch of salt to balance out the flavors.
- Black Pepper – Dash of black pepper to bring light spiciness to the pie.
Steps To Make Paula Deen Tomato Pie
1. Blanch Tomatoes
Take four tomatoes and place them in the boiling water for thirty seconds. Once boiled, place them immediately in the ice water. The tomatoes are blanched.
This technique will make tomatoes less moist. Also, it will be easier to peel the skin of tomatoes.
Moreover, the blanching technique for tomatoes will give you more intensifying tomatoes, and as well as you will get a caramelized tomato taste.
Slice the tomatoes after peeling them. Keep it aside.
2. Prepare Pie Shell
Take a pre-baked deep pie dish shell. Place the tomato slices on the crust. Season with salt and black pepper and keep it aside for ten minutes.
3. Cheese Mixture
Take a bowl. Combine mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt, and black pepper.
Layer the pie crust with basil and chopped green onions. Season it with salt and black pepper. Spread the mayonnaise mixture on top.
5. Bake And Serve
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the deep baking dish in the oven and bake for thirty minutes. You will see all the cheese melting, and the top is browned. Cut into slices to serve. Enjoy!
How Will Paula Deen Tomato Pie Look And Taste Like?
Paula Deen’s tomato pie is a savory dish. It’s filled with lots of creamy cheese and layered with fresh garden tomatoes. The green onions and basil give it an aromatic touch. A crunchy crust covering the bottom of the pie tastes good.
Paula Deen Tomato Pie Recipe
- 4 Tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 Pre-Baked Deep Pie Dish Shell (9-inch)
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese (grated)
- ½ cup Green Onions (chopped)
- 10 Basil Leaves (chopped)
- Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (a dash)
- Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for thirty seconds. Place them in the ice water and easily peel the tomato skin.
- Slice tomatoes and place them on the pre-baked deep pie dish shell. Sprinkle salt and pepper and keep it aside.
- Mix mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt, and black pepper in the bowl.
- Top the pie crust with basil, green onions, salt, and black pepper. Spread the cheese mixture on top.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the pie crust dish for thirty minutes.
- Paula Deen’s tomato pie is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is tomato pie?
Tomato pie is more of a pizza, but it is prepared in different ways. Instead of bread, it uses pie crust, and the filling is done. It has basil and onions as veggies and cheese layers. It’s quite famous in Philadelphia, USA.
Can you make tomato pie without crust?
No! Tomato pie crust cannot be made without a crust. As the original Paula Deen recipe calls for the crust for a flavorful experience.
Can you freeze tomato pie?
It’s not a good idea to freeze tomato pie. As the structure and the texture of tomato pie will be at risk. Eating it freshly baked brings all the charm.
Can you leave tomato pie out overnight after baking?
You must not leave tomato pie out. Otherwise, it will become dry and wasted. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate.
How do you store leftover tomato pie?
Store tomato pie in an air-tight container and place it in the fridge. It will be safe for upto three days.
We are grateful to Paula Deen for sharing this amazing tomato pie recipe. It’s savory, cheesy, and full of flavors. The first bite will take you to another world. Wanna try? Follow this recipe and make this southern beauty at home.