Paula Deen Gumbo recipe is a stew dish with chicken, sausages, shrimp, vegetables, seasoning, and roux.
It’s a top-notch comforting dish with a burst of flavors and seasoning. So, before you delay, let’s discover this delicious stew.
So this gumbo recipe asks for many ingredients. First, cook chicken and sausages. Then make a roux and cook vegetables and all the meat and seasonings. Simmer for 2 hours. Garnish with shrimp, green onions, and parsley.
It’s time to enjoy gumbo for dinner. Let me share some tips with you. Paula Deen adds some secret ingredients that are margarine. It makes gumbo creamier.
Secondly, she adds bouillon cubes which are readily available in the market. If you need more time to make meat stocks, these cubes are at your rescue.
To conclude, gumbo is a stay-inside-cook-all-day recipe. Enjoy a fun time at home cooking with your loved ones. Let’s get the recipe steps below. Also, get the equipment list and nutritional information.
Other Paula Deen Recipes That You Can Try
- Paula Deen Baked Spaghetti
- Paula Deen Breakfast Casserole
- Paula Deen Carrot Cakes
- Paula Deen Baked Beans
- Paula Deen Chicken Noodle Soup
- Paula Deen Salmon Patties
- Paula Deen Vegetable Soup
- Paula Deen Buttermilk Pie
- Paula Deen Cobbler
- Paula Deen Cheesecake
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Paula Deen Gumbo?
- Dutch Oven – Cook a delicious and flavorful gumbo in the dutch oven.
- Knife – Cut off your veggies with a sharp knife.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Paula Deen Gumbo?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||2 Hours 15 Minutes||2 Hours 25 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Paula Deen Gumbo?
- Chicken Breast – Add chicken breast to gumbo for a flavorful experience.
- Sausages – Take sliced sausages to add to the gumbo.
- Hot Water – Add four cups to maintain the stew consistency.
- Oil – Saute vegetables in vegetable oil.
- Margarine – Make a roux with the help of margarine. It is best to get the flavors in the gumbo.
- Worcestershire Sauce – For a sour flavor, add Worcestershire sauce.
- Shrimp – Add cooked shrimp to the gumbo to make it rich.
- Stewed Tomatoes – Stewed tomatoes are readymade seasoned tomatoes with garlic and herbs.
- Okra – Add sliced okra to the stew for the crunchy texture.
- Bouillon Cubes – Bouillon cubes are made of dehydrated vegetables and meat stock. They are added to gumbo for flavor.
- Celery – Add celery to bring out a mild herbal aroma in the gumbo.
- Garlic – Chopped garlic add a savory flavor to the gumbo.
- Bell Peppers – Bell peppers add a bright green color to the gumbo.
- All-Purpose Flour – Sprinkle all-purpose flour on the sausages to make them crispy.
- Parsley – Add parsley to give gumbo a nice aroma.
- Salt – Balance the taste of gumbo with a pinch of salt.
- Black Pepper – A dash of black pepper to spice up the dish.
Steps To Make Paula Deen Gumbo
1. Cook Chicken
Season chicken breast with salt and black pepper. Heat oil in the dutch oven and cook chicken until browned for ten to fifteen minutes. Keep the flame medium.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan.
2. Cook Sausages
Add sausages to the same pan and cook until browned on medium flame. Sprinkle flour on the sausages and cook for ten to fifteen minutes.
Remove the sausages from the pan once cooked.
3. Make Roux
Then add two tablespoons of margarine. Mix well and keep stirring constantly. The roux is ready. Let it cool.
4. Combine All Ingredients
Heat the Dutch oven on low meat and stir in margarine. Melt it. Then add onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery—Cook all the vegetables for ten minutes.
Then, add Worcestershire sauce, salt, and black pepper. Lastly, add a bunch of parsley. Cook for ten minutes more. Then add four cups of hot water and bouillon cubes and mix well continuously.
To the same dutch oven, add cooked chicken and sausages. Bring everything to a boil and cook on low heat for forty-five minutes.
Now add stewed tomatoes and frozen sliced okra. Cover and cook for one hour. When serving, add green onions, cooked shrimp, and chopped parsley for the garnishing. Gumbo is ready.
How Will Paula Deen Gumbo Look And Taste Like?
Gumbo is a thick and rich stew. It bursts with spicy, tangy, sweet, and salty flavors. Paula Deen gumbo recipe is packed with roasted meats, crunchy vegetables, and cream with margarine. It’s a lovely dark brown dish with a vibrant taste.
Paula Deen Gumbo Recipe
- 3 Chicken Breast
- 1 Ib Sausages
- 4 cups Hot Water
- ¼ cup Oil
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ Ib Shrimp
- 1 can Stewed Tomatoes
- 2 cups Okra (frozen)2
- 5 Bouillon Cubes
- 3 stalks Celery (chopped)
- 8 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Bell Pepper (chopped)
- ½ cup All-Purpose Flour
- Salt (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Take chicken breast and season with salt and pepper.
- Saute chicken in the dutch oven and cook for ten minutes until browned.
- Remove chicken.
- Add sausages to the dutch oven and cook until browned. Sprinkle some flour and mix well with sausages.
- Remove sausages.
- To a cooking pan, add margarine and keep sitting to make the roux.
- Once cooked, let it cool.
- Back to the dutch oven, melt margarine. Then add onion, garlic, green pepper, and celery. Cook for ten minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Add parsley. Cook for ten minutes.
- Add hot water and bouillon cubes to the dutch oven and mix well.
- Add cooked chicken sausages and bring to a boil.
- Once boiled, keep the heat low and simmer for forty-five minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes and frozen sliced okra. Cover and cook for one hour.
- Garnish with green onion, cooked shrimp, and parsley.
- Paula Deen gumbo is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is gumbo?
Gumbo is a flavored stock with chicken, sausages, veggies, margarine, and seasonings. It’s a spicy and thick gravy-based one-dish food to enjoy for dinner.
What is the secret ingredient in gumbo?
Margarine is the secret ingredient in the gumbo. It makes the gravy thicker and is a great substitute for butter.
What does gumbo taste like?
Gumbo is a rich and flavorful stew that combines unique flavors and textures. It has okra, tomatoes, meat, vegetables, margarine, seasoning, and herbs. The slow-cook gumbo melts in your mouth and satisfies you to the fullest.
What meats are in gumbo?
Gumbo is made with chicken, sausages, roux, and vegetables. You can also add shrimp to it.
Why does gumbo take so long to cook?
Cooking gumbo takes approximately two and a half hours. It’s a slow cook stew that requires cooking for a longer time for its better taste and flavor. Everything needs to be melted and mashed together well to enjoy the dish.
Gumbo is flavorful, thanks to its rich flavors and seasonings. It’s an excellent option if you are looking for an authentic yet uncomplicated stew recipe.
Serve with cooked rice and enjoy the most delicious dinner of all time!