There’s no match for the old-fashioned casserole dish on the Thanksgiving dinner table. Paula Deen’s chicken and dressing is just that! These buttery, crumbly bites are filled with traditional Thanksgiving bliss. The shredded chicken is mixed with cornbread and biscuits and seasoned with the amazing aromatic spices (that smell like grandma’s kitchen).
Paula Deen’s chicken and dressing is my favorite side dish for a holiday meal. It has a crispy outer layer and has tender and juicy chicken. Try it once and I’m sure you would never miss this dish in any family feast. You can use a simple baking dish if you can not bake it in a casserole. So, get ready with your casserole dish! Toss in some Thanksgiving vibe with the amazing ingredients of this recipe.
Before you start with the recipe instructions, check out the list of ingredients and the equipment you’ll need. Paula Deen’s chicken and dressing is an easy recipe and a perfect side dish for the Thanksgiving meal. If you follow the instructions carefully, this dish will look and taste exactly as mentioned below. Try it now and enjoy it. But before you check it out, explore some other recipes from the celebrity chef, Paula Deen.
1. Paula Deen’s Sweet Potato Gratin– Paula Deen’s sweet potato gratin is the one of the best potato recipes for Thanksgiving. This delicious dish is made with sweet potatoes, caramelized onion, and cheese. There is also a hotness to the dish because of the paprika and cayenne.
2. Paula Deen’s Roasted Turkey– Need a great yet simple turkey recipe for holidays? Try Paula Deen’s roasted turkey recipe. The turkey is stuffed with herbs and onions. Not only that, the gravy is made with pan juices from the turkey. So, you get two recipes in the guise of one.
3. Paula Deen’s Cranberry Congealed Salad– Paula Deen cranberry congealed salad has a crunchy yet buttery base and a delicious layer of cheese on top. Although it’s a salad, but it tastes more like a dessert. Made the gelatinous cranberry base, top it with cheese and fresh cranberries.
4. Paula Deen’s Jello Salad– If you are a fan of jello, then you must try Paula Deen’s jello salad. The jello is made with cranberry and pineapple. It is then topped with cream cheese and walnuts. You can also add fresh fruits on top like pineapples, raspberries, and cranberries.
What Equipment Will You Need For Paula Deen’s Chicken And Dressing?
- Bowl- Use a large mixing bowl to make the chicken and dressing mixture. Use a medium-sized bowl to keep the shredded chicken and chicken broth.
- Skillet- Use a skillet to cook the onions and celery for the chicken and dressing.
- Spatula- You’ll need a spatula to stir and mix the ingredients in the skillet or the bowl.
- Spoon- Use a spoon to beat the egg or to add other ingredients to the bowl or the skillet.
- Pot- To boil the chicken and to make the chicken broth, you’ll need a pot.
- Baking dish/Casserole- Use an oven-proof casserole or baking dish to bake the chicken and dressing in the oven.
- Sieve- To strain the chicken broth, you need a fine sieve.
How Much Time Do You Need To Make Paula Deen’s Chicken And Dressing?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Resting Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||1 Hour 40 Minutes||40 Minutes||2 Hours 30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need For Paula Deen’s Chicken And Dressing?
- Chicken- Remove the giblet of the chicken. Use one whole chicken for this recipe.
- Stalks celery- Cut two stalks of celery into 1-inch pieces. Celery adds a fresh earthy flavor to the chicken broth.
- Carrots- Slice two carrots into 1-inch pieces to give a mildly sweet flavor to the chicken.
- Onion- One onion quartered will give a sour or sweet flavor to the dish.
- Parsley leaves- Use fresh parsley leaves to add fresh aromatic flavors to the recipe.
- Black peppercorns- Use a tablespoon of peppercorns to add some heat to the recipe.
- Bay leaves- Add bay leaves to make the chicken dressing more fragrant and add more flavor to it.
- Salt- Add salt according to your taste to enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Buttermilk cornbread mix- Bake the buttermilk cornbread according to the directions of the package instructions.
- Buttermilk biscuits- Use six frozen buttermilk biscuits baked according to the directions mentioned on the packet.
- Butter- Use a half cup of butter for this recipe.
- Onion- Use two and a half cups of chopped onions in the dressing.
- Celery- Add chopped celery to the dressing to add fresh aromatic flavors.
- Garlic- Garlic is the basic seasoning ingredient in the recipe.
- Poultry seasoning- Use a tablespoon of poultry seasoning powder to add more flavor and aroma to the chicken and dressing.
- Sage- Rub a teaspoon of sage to enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Thyme leaves- Use dried thyme leaves for this recipe.
- Eggs- Lightly beat two large eggs for this recipe.
Steps To Make Paula Deen’s Chicken And Dressing
1. Cook Chicken!
In a large stockpot containing water, add chicken, celery, carrots, onion, parsley, black peppercorns, bay leaves and put on the lid. Bring the mixture to boil in the pot and reduce the heat to simmer for about 45 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it stand for about 30 minutes.
Remove this chicken from the broth and let it cool for a few minutes. Shred the meat and discarded its skin and bones. Set two cups of shredded chicken aside and reserve the remaining chicken. Strain the chicken broth using a sieve to remove the solid material in it. Reserve about 5 cups of broth in a bowl.
2. Cook the Chicken and Dressing
Add melted butter to a skillet over medium heat. Toss in chopped onions, celery, and minced garlic. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes until they’re soft. Now, take a large bowl and add crumbled baked cornbread and biscuits to it. Add poultry seasoning, dried thyme, sage, cooked vegetables, and shredded chicken. Mix them until combined. Add egg and stir well to combine. Now, add chicken broth and mix until all the ingredients are moistened.
3. Bake It and Serve
Grease the baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and spoon the chicken mixture in it. Bake it in a preheated oven (350 C) for around 35 to 45 minutes until the center of the mixture is set. Remove from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
|Saturated Fat||111 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||47 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||98 g|
|Trans Fat||5 g|
|Vitamin A||28362 IU|
|Vitamin C||94 mg|
How Will Paula Deen’s Chicken And Dressing Look and Taste?
Now, get ready to taste Paula Deen’s chicken and dressing! This delicious casserole dish has chicken cooked with vegetables and has crumbled cornbread and biscuits mixed with it. Have a spoonful bite of Paula Deen’s chicken and dressing and you’ll be flooded with enormous flavors from seasoning spices to the veggies and eggs added in it. Try this recipe for your Thanksgiving and enjoy it with your family.
Paula Deen’s Chicken And Dressing Recipe
- Baking Dish/ Casserole
- 1 Whole chicken
- 2 stalks Celery (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 Carrots (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 Onion (quartered)
- 1/4 cup Parsley Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Black Peppercorns
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 12 ounces Buttermilk Cornbread Mix (baked)
- 6 Frozen Buttermilk Biscuits (baked)
- 2.5 cup Onions (chopped)
- 2.5 cup Celery (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (minced)
- 2 Eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Poultry Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Sage (rubbed)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme Leaves
- In a large stockpot containing water, adds chicken, celery, onions, parsley, black peppercorns and bay leaves. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for about 45 minutes. Remove this pot from the heat and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and shred it. Strain the chicken chicken broth and reserve two cups of the chicken broth for this recipe. Add butter to a skillet and add chopped onion, celery, and minced garlic to it cook for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add crumbled buttermilk cornbread and biscuits to a large bowl. Add poultry seasoning, dried thyme, sage, shredded chicken, and cooked vegetables. Add egg and chicken broth to the mixture. Stir them together to combine.
- Transfer this mixture to a greased baking dish (or casserole) and bake it for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
Tell me in the comments about your recipe and also, check out other recipes as well.