Easy and delicious breakfast casserole recipe comes together in no time for a weekend breakfast. Paula Deen breakfast casserole has the classic breakfast flavors we all know and love. Eggs, sausage, cheese, and biscuits come together to create a delicious and hearty dish.
Prepare the baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Cook the crumbled pork sausage until brown. Whisk eggs, milk, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, salt and pepper until well combined.
Layer the buttered and cubed bread in a prepared baking dish, followed by prepared sausage and grated cheese. Bake until the cheese melts and is bubbly.
The great thing about this recipe is it is customizable. You can also make it delicious with other types of cheese, like pepper jack, or add more veggies, like spinach or zucchini, left-out mushrooms, and bell peppers.
This article will examine the ingredients and steps to make Paula Deen breakfast casserole and the taste you can expect from this dish.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Paula Deen Breakfast Casserole?
- Oven – Bake the breakfast casserole in the oven until the cheese melts and is bubbly.
- Skillet – Cook the loose pork breakfast sausage in a large skillet until browned for about 5-10 minutes.
- Baking Dish – Prepare an 8*8 baking dish to bake breakfast casserole with non-stick cooking spray.
- Wooden Spoon – Crumble and cook the sausage in a skillet with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Spatula – Toss the breakfast casserole and even the sausage with a spatula to ensure even baking.
- Knife – Chop the sage and cut the bread into cubes to prepare the recipe.
- Cheese Grater – Grate the cheddar cheese with the help of a cheese grater for a cheesy bite.
- Chopping Board – Place a heavy-duty chopping board under the ingredients before dicing and chopping them.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Paula Deen Breakfast Casserole?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|9 Hours||50 Minutes||9 Hours 50 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Paula Deen Breakfast Casserole?
- Country White Bread – Bread is the main ingredient to avoid a spongy and wet dish, so the casserole is chunky and textured, not flat and wet.
- Pork Breakfast Sausage – Cook loose pork sausage until brown to add a spicy and salty flavor to the casserole.
- Fresh Sage – Adding chopped sage to the casserole will aid a strong, slightly minty and musky taste. It is used to flavor pork sausage.
- White Cheddar Cheese – Grate white cheddar cheese over the bread and sausage to add a slightly buttery, moist, and melty texture.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – Grate yellow sharp cheddar cheese to get the firm and crumbly texture of the casserole.
- Eggs – Add whisked eggs to thicken the breakfast casserole.
- Milk – Milk will contribute to the bread’s quality and give it a soft crust, adding more sweetness and a browner color to the casserole.
- Cayenne Pepper – Sprinkle cayenne pepper while preparing the casserole for a hot and fruity flavor.
- Dry Mustard – Dry mustard will contribute savory flavor to the casserole.
- Salt – Adding salt to the casserole will enhance the flavors of the ingredients.
- Black Pepper – Black pepper will add a spicy, earthy, and distinct flavor that goes well with this recipe.
Steps To Make Paula Deen Breakfast Casserole
1. Let’s Get Started
Prepare an 8×8 baking dish and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Take eight slices of white bread and butter on both sides of the bread.
Then cut them into cube-size pieces. Mince fresh sage and grate the cheese with the help of a cheese grater.
2. Preparation For Breakfast Casserole
Add the loose pork breakfast sausage to a large skillet and heat using a wooden spoon. Crumble the sausage and cook until browned for about 5-10 minutes. Toss in chopped sage once the sausage is cooked.
Put the buttered and cubed bread in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the sausage over the bread. Make sure to distribute the sausage evenly with the spatula and sprinkle the grated cheese.
3. Baking The Casserole
In a large bowl, whisk together beaten eggs, milk, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour the mixture over the bread, prepared sausage and grated cheese.
Cover it with plastic cling wrap and refrigerate overnight—Preheat the oven to 350º. Bake the casserole for one hour until bubbly and hot. Serve hot.
|Vitamin A||705 iu|
|Vitamin C||11.6 mg|
How Will Paula Deen Breakfast Casserole Look And Taste Like?
Paula Deen breakfast casserole is packed with all of the classic breakfast flavors we all know and love. The sausage, eggs, and cheese all work together perfectly to create a flavor you will love. The bread adds a nice crunch to the dish, and the overall taste is incredible. The creamy soups and cheesy goodness help to tie everything together, and the cornbread mix gives the casserole a nice, crispy top.
Paula Deen Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- 8 slices Country White Bread (buttered and cubed)
- 1 lb Loose Pork Breakfast Sausage
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Sage (chopped)
- 1 cup White Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup Sharp Yellow Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 7 Eggs (whisked)
- 3 cups Milk
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Dry Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Prepare an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- On eight slices of white bread, apply butter and cut them into cube-size pieces.
- Mince fresh sage and grate the cheese with the help of a cheese grater.
- Add the loose pork breakfast sausage to a large skillet and heat using a wooden spoon.
- Crumble the sausage and cook until browned for about 5-10 minutes. Toss in chopped sage once the sausage is cooked.
- Put the buttered and cubed bread in the prepared baking dish, sprinkle the sausage over the bread, and sprinkle the grated cheese.
- Whisk together beaten eggs, milk, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the bread, prepared sausage and grated cheese.
- Cover it with plastic cling wrap and refrigerate overnight—Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Bake the casserole for 1 hour until it is bubbly and hot. Serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why do I need to use bread?
Bread is the main ingredient, and this breakfast casserole needs structure at the bottom to avoid a sponge, wet dish. Chunks of crusty bread will soak up some liquid, so the casserole is chunky and textured, not flat and wet.
Can I use potatoes instead of bread?
Yes, you can replace the bread with hash brown potatoes. Take 3 cups of hash brown potatoes, peel and dice them. Quickly cook them in the skillet for 10 minutes before using them in this dish.
Why is my breakfast casserole runny?
The key to making breakfast casserole moist and delicious but not runny is ensuring the proper ratio of bread, eggs, and milk. If there is too much liquid, the result could be a watery casserole.
How do I thicken my breakfast casserole?
We recommend adding small cornstarch to keep the base tender and glossy. Cornstarch can stabilize the casserole.
If you want a delicious breakfast casserole to feed a crowd, I hope you will try this Paula Deen Breakfast Casserole. Remember to share your experience with us.