Panettone bread recipe is a traditional Italian Christmas bread. The bread is made using regular ingredients but what makes it so delicious is the inclusion of wine, butter, and raisins. They enhance its taste and make it a perfect bread that everyone can enjoy. Let’s look at the recipe.
To make the Panettone bread, soak raisin overnight in water and rum. Add flour, sugar, yeast, salt, lemon zest, and vanilla bean to a mixer. Also, add eggs, tepid water, and honey to it.
Add butter and mix for about 8 minutes to make the dough. Then, add raisins to it. Let the dough rest for 12 hours. Put in a mold and let it rest for another 3 hours. Then, bake it for an hour.
Here are some special tips for you to follow. Adding a touch of vanilla extract or citrus zest will give your panettone a wonderful aroma and flavor.
Moreover, panettone should be baked at a low temperature . This will help to ensure that the bread is fully cooked and has a light, fluffy texture.
This was just a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. But before going to the full recipe, do check out other bread recipes as well.
1. Orange Cranberry Bread– This moist & flavorful orange cranberry bread is packed with orange zest and tart cranberries, topped with cinnamon streusel, and finished with orange glaze.
2. Rye Croutons– If you love croutons then, you should know that homemade croutons taste the best. You can easily make rye croutons with leftover rye bread. They are really easy to make and get ready in no time.
3. Corn Pone– Corn pone is made without milk and eggs. It can be baked or fried. The ingredients are simple and easily available. It is easy to make corn pones at home and it takes less than an hour to make them.
4. Banh Mi– It is a Vietnamese sandwich made with chicken and full of pickled vegetables. It is a perfect meaty sandwich combined with bright and crunchy homemade pickles stuffed into a fluffy baguette.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Panettone Bread?
- Oven – Bake the cake in the oven at 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bowl – Use a bowl to mix and combine the ingredients for the panettone dough.
- Electric Mixer – Use electric mixer to make the dough quickly.
- Plastic Wrap – Cover the dough while it’s rising with a plastic wrap.
- Baking Sheet – Place panettone bread dough on the baking sheet.
- Knife – Use a knife to create X on the dough to get a good design.
- Skewer – Check if the cake is done or not by inserting skewer.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Panettone Bread?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Resting Time||Total Time|
|1 Hour||1 Hour||1 day 4 Hours||1 day 6 Hours|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Panettone Bread?
- All-Purpose Flour – All-purpose flour provides structure to the bread.
- Hot Water – Soak raisins in the hot water.
- Light Rum – Adds a delicious, subtle flavor to the panettone with light rum.
- Lemon Zest – Lemon zest adds a bright, and citrusy flavor.
- Eggs – Eggs help to bind the dough together and give it a rich, moist texture.
- Unsalted Butter – Add flavor and richness to the bread with unsalted butter.
- Tepid Water – Activate dry yeast with tepid water.
- Honey – Add a woody and fruity flavors in the cake with honey.
- Raisins – Add a chewy texture and fruity sweetness to the bread with raisins.
- Granulated Sugar – Add granulated sugar to the cake for making it sweet.
- Dry Yeast – Dry yeast helps the dough rise.
- Vanilla Bean – For a warm and mild vanilla flavor, add vanilla bean.
- Candied Citron – Candied citron adds a sweet, citrusy flavor to the bread.
- Salt – Enhance the overall taste of the bread with salt.
Steps To Make Panettone Bread
1. Soak Raisins
Take a small bowl and add hot water and rum to it. Soak raisins into it and stir it occasionally. Keep them soaked overnight until the raisins are fluffy and water has reduced.
2. Prepare The Dough
Now, get ready with your mixer with paddle attachment installed. Add flour, sugar, yeast, salt, lemon zest, and vanilla bean to it. Mix them well.
After this, take a medium bowl and add eggs, tepid water, and honey to it. Whisk them properly and keep the mixer low. Add this egg mixture to the flour mixture in the making. Increase the speed and let the contents mix well.
Add the butter and let it mix at high speed until a smooth and soft dough is prepared. It will take around 8 minutes to make it. Add the raisins that you soaked last night and drain the liquid. Mix them with the dough with the help of a wooden spoon.
3. Rest The Dough
Now, keep the dough in a bowl and cover it using plastic wrap or a wet cloth and keep it in a cool place and let it rest for about twelve to fifteen hours.
After your dough has rested well, remove the vanilla beans. Sprinkle some dry flour on the dough, and place it on a smooth surface.
4. Shape The Dough
Now, shape the dough by making a loose ball. Fold its edges and place it in the panettone mold. Let it rest for another three to five hours.
Preheat your oven to 370 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep this mold filled with dough on a baking sheet. With the help of a sharp knife, make an “X” on the whole surface of the dough.
5. Bake And Serve
Keep a teaspoon of butter in this mark. Bake it for seventy five minutes until the color of this panettone changes. Now, remove it from the oven and insert the skewers through the cake such that it hangs. Let it cool over a stockpot before you cut it.
How Will A Panettone Bread Look And Taste Like?
Oh, Panettone bread, where do I even begin? This Italian sweet bread is a true delight. First of all, let’s talk about its appearance. A panettone is tall, domed bread. The exterior is usually a light golden brown color. When you slice into it, you’ll see that the crumb is airy and dotted with raisins and candied fruit.
Now, onto the taste, if you’ve never tried panettone before, prepare yourself to get amazed. The bread is sweet, but not overly, and has a subtle citrus flavor that comes from the addition of lemon zest.
The texture is light and fluffy, but still substantial enough to satisfy. The raisins and candied fruit add a chewy, fruity contrast to the soft crumb, and the whole thing is just a delicious, and indulgent treat.
- Electric Mixer
- Plastic Wrap
- Baking Sheet
- 3¾ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Hot Water
- 2 teaspoons Light Rum
- ¼ teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 3 Eggs
- 10½ teaspoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Unsalted Butter (melted)
- ¾ cup Tepid Water
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- ⅔ cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Dry Yeast
- 1 cup Raisins
- ½ Vanilla Bean
- ⅔ cup Candied Citron
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Soak raisins in hot water and rum overnight.
- Mix flour, sugar, yeast, salt, lemon zest, and vanilla bean in a electric mixer with paddle attachment.
- Whisk eggs, tepid water, and honey in a separate bowl, then add to mixer.
- Add butter and mix until smooth dough forms.
- Add soaked raisins and mix with wooden spoon.
- Let dough rest for 12-15 hours.
- Shape dough and place in panettone mold. Let rest for 3-5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 370°F.
- Create X on the above surface of the bread. Pour a teaspoons of butter in the mark. Bake panettone for 60-75 minutes.
- Insert skewers and cool over stockpot before cutting.
- The cake is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is panettone bread, and where does it originate from?
Panettone bread is a sweet bread originally from Milan, Italy. It is enjoyed during the Christmas season.
What are the ingredients needed to make panettone bread?
The basic ingredients for making panettone bread include flour, yeast, sugar, butter, eggs, and dried fruit such as raisins or candied citron.
How long does it take to make panettone bread?
It takes one around one day to make panettone bread.
Can panettone bread be made ahead of time?
Yes, panettone bread can be made ahead of time and stored for up to three days.
Making panettone bread is a wonderful way to bring a taste of Italy to your kitchen. With its fluffy texture, rich flavor, and delightful aroma, it’s sure to be a hit with anyone who tries it.
Although it may take some time and effort to make, the end result is well worth it, and you’ll have a delicious treat to enjoy with your family and friends. So why not give it a try? Follow the recipe, gather your ingredients, and get started on this delightful baking adventure.