I don’t remember when I heard the word panettone for the first time but I was astonished that I had not tasted this Italian Christmas bread before. I asked my mom about it and she made it at home. After eating it, I was like- how delicious it is! It was soft and so delicious that I still remember the taste and texture of it. So I asked my mom the recipe of this traditional Panettone. It was smooth and so delicious that I always remember the taste and texture of it.
After that, I learned this recipe from her and she gave me full notes and training about making this Panettone bread at home. I am sure you all also want to make this bread as Christmas is on its way. This would be a perfect choice for your Christmas party or gathering. Everyone will love to have it with some drinks or beverages. The soft, sweet and juicy flavor will make you feel lost in its taste.
The bread is made using the regular ingredients but what makes it so delicious is the inclusion of wine, butter, and raisins. They enhance its taste and makes it a perfect bread that everyone can enjoy. So, let’s try it at home and see why this panettone is so famous?
Ingredients for Panettone Bread
|Light Rum||2 tsp.|
|Hot Water||2 tsp.|
|All-Purpose Flour||3 ¾ cup|
|Granulated Sugar||⅔ cup|
|Dry Yeast||½ tsp.|
|Lemon Zest||¼ tsp.|
|Vanilla Bean||½ pc.|
|Tepid Water||¾ cup|
|Unsalted Butter||10 ½ tsp.|
|Unsalted Butter Melted||1 tsp.|
|Candied Citron||⅔ cup|
Well, this is all that you will need to make this Panettone bread at your home. Most of the ingredients are common and are used in every bread that you bake. So, no need to worry. You will find all these ingredients easily from any shop or supermarket store.
How Much Time Will it Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Resting Time||Total Time|
|1 Hour||1 Hour||1 day 4 Hours||2 Hours|
The timings may surprise you, but let me tell you that loaves of bread always take a long time. This involves resting, during which yeast activates and makes your dough more fluffy and soft. So, resting time is essential.
And after all the details and information that I listed above are finished, let’s move to the final phase of this Panettone bread’s making. This step will tell you how to make this bread and what steps you need to follow to make it at home.
Panettone Bread Recipe
- Take a small bowl and add hot water and rum to it. Soak raisins into it and stir it occasionally. Keep them soaked overnight until the raisins are fluffy and water has reduced.
- Now get ready with your mixer with paddle attachment installed and add flour, sugar, yeast, salt, lemon zest and vanilla bean to it. Mix them well. After this, take a medium bowl and add eggs, tepid water and honey to it. Whisk them properly and keep the mixer low and add this egg mixture to the flour mixture in the making. Increase the speed and let the contents mix well.
- Add the butter and let it mix at high speed until a smooth and soft dough is prepared. It will take around 8 minutes to make it.
- Add the raisins that you soaked last night and drain the liquid. Mix them with the dough with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Now, keep the dough in a bowl and cover it using a plastic wrap or a wet cloth and keep it in a cool place and let it rest for about 12-15 hours.
- After your dough has rested well, remove the vanilla beans, sprinkle some dry flour on the dough, and place it on a smooth surface with flour dusted. Now shape the dough by making a loose ball of it by folding its edges and place it in the Panettone mold. Let it rest for another 3-5 hours.
- Finally, preheat your oven to 370F.
- Keep this mold filled with dough on a baking sheet and with the help of a sharp knife, make an “X” on the whole surface of the dough. Keep a tsp. of butter in this mark that you made. Baked it until a wooden skewer inserted inside the dough comes out dry. Bake it for 60-75 minutes, until the color of this Panettone changes.
- Now, remove it from the oven and insert the skewers through the cake such that it hangs and let it cool over a stockpot before you cut it.
And finally, a perfect Panettone bread is ready and waiting for you to taste it. You can store this bread by wrapping it tightly in a plastic wrap or resealable bag. Enjoy this Panettone bread and have a great Christmas.
Nutritional Breakdown of Panettone Bread
The nutritional details of this Panettone bread are provided in the table below.
How to Make Panettone Bread at Home | Video
Here is a video that you all can watch for those who want additional support to make this recipe. It will help you to make this Panettone bread easily, without any difficulty.
The recipe is completed and I hope you like this deliciously sweet recipe. Make sure to share your experience and tell us your thoughts in the comments section below. Till then, have a great day and happy cooking!