The Pan Con Tamate is a Spanish-style baked bread topped with grated tomato flesh. This dish is very simple and is popular in many regions of Spain. All you need is toasted crispy bread and tomatoes. Top it with flaky salt and olive oil and you are good to go.
Pan Con Tomate is part of the traditional Spanish cuisine and involves no cooking at all, except making the bread crispy. It was invented in the 1800s and is majorly part of Catalan cuisine. It is quite easy to make and can be served as a side dish with a salad.
To make Pan Con Tamate, prepare the tomato mixture by grating the flesh of tomatoes and season it with salt. Then, toast the bread in a broiler. After the bread turns crispy, rub it with garlic cloves. Spread the tomato mixture over the bread, drizzle some olive oil, and season with salt.
This was only a snippet of the recipe. Find the whole recipe below. Also, there are other recipes that you can have as starters, let’s check them out.
1. Berenjenas Con Miel– Berenjenas Con Miel is a fried eggplant and honey dish. This dish is a great combination of sweetness and saltiness. It is a classic dish of Moorish origin and is served across Granada, Córdoba, Málaga, and Jaén.
2. Open-Faced Texas Burger– Open-faced burger consists of more than one food item on a slice of the burger bun. It can be consumed as breakfast, lunch, supper, or an evening snack.
3. Patatas Bravas– Patatas bravas is a great option to try if you are going for Spanish cuisine. The original recipe consisted of bite-sized, irregular chunks of fried potatoes dressed with a spicy sauce consisting of a lot of tomatoes and served hot.
4. Texas Black Bean Soup– This chunky homemade wholesome Texas black bean soup can simmer all day in your slow cooker. Made with canned items, it’s a healthy but effortless family meal.
Ingredients For Pan Con Tamate
- 2 large Beefsteak Tomatoes (ripe)
- Kosher Salt (to taste)
- 1 loaf Ciabatta (split in half horizontally)
- 1 teaspoon Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- 2 medium cloves Garlic (split in half)
- Flaky Sea Salt (such as Maldon or fleur de sel)
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Pan Con Tamate?
|Preparation Time||Cooking time||Total time|
|7 Minutes||3 Minutes||10 Minutes|
Steps To Make Pan Con Tamate
- Slit the tomatoes horizontally into two halves. Using a grater, grate the tomatoes in a large bowl. Make sure you only grate the flesh of the tomatoes and not the skin. Discard the skin of the tomatoes. Season the grated tomato flesh with kosher salt.
- Now, preheat the broiler to a high temperature. Place a rack below the broiler. On this rack, set the tray and place bread in it or place the bread directly on the rack.
- Broil the bread until it gets crispy and begins to char on the edges. This may take 2-3 minutes.
- After it is done, remove the bread and rub split garlic cloves over it. Spread the tomato mixture over the bread and drizzle extra virgin olive oil over it. Season the bread with flaky sea salt.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional Breakdown of Pan Con Tamate