The Outback Steakhouse french onion soup, or as they call it, the Walkabout Onion soup, is rich, creamy, and cheesy. If you have ever tried this soup at the Outback Steakhouse outlet, you’d know that it is a combination of different textures and creamy flavors. This soup is a tad bit time-consuming, but that won’t come in the way when you are craving it like anything.
The soup has sweet, mild onions so that the sweet onion taste comes into the soup without its usual strong odor. The parent ingredient for the soup is bouillon, liquid, and cubes that add flavor to the soup. The creamy texture comes from the Velveeta cheese and the thick white sauce. It is simmered for half an hour to make it rich and thick. It is garnished with cheddar before serving to make your rainy days better.
The recipe has two simple phases; making the white sauce and then the soup. If you just follow this recipe, you’ll have a hot bowl of amazing soup in an hour….and a half (tee hee). So, let me take you through the recipe for the Outback Steakhouse French onion soup. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other recipes from the Outback Steakhouse menu.
1. Outback Steakhouse Steak Seasoning– Do you want to know the secret for the amazing steaks at the Outback Steakhouse? It’s their steak seasoning. The steak seasoning is blend of ground spices and seasonings that give the best possible flavor to your steak.
2. Outback Steakhouse Ranch– Need the recipe for Outback Steakhouse ranch dressing? Well, you are in luck because I have just that. This dressing is made with mayonnaise and then flavored with buttermilk, ranch mix, and ground spices. This is a great dressing for salad, chicken and even fries.
3. Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken– Upgrade your chicken breast with this Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs chicken. The chicken is marinated in spices. Then, it is pan-fried and topped with honey mustard, mushrooms, bacon, and cheese. All of this is then baked to make this perfect dish
4. Outback Steakhouse Bloomin Fried Chicken– Try the recipe for Outback Steakhouse bloomin fried chicken so you can make it whenever you crave it. Dip the chicken in an egg and buttermilk and then in the spicy breading that you use for the bloomin onion. Fry it up and serve with the bloomin sauce.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Outback Steakhouse French Onion Soup?
- 2 Quart Saucepan- Make the soup in a big 2-quart saucepan.
- 1 Quart Saucepan- Make your thick white sauce in a 1-quart saucepan.
- Knife, Wooden Spoon, and Spatula- Use the knife for cutting, wooden spoon for stirring, and spatula for stirring the sauce.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Outback Steakhouse French Onion Soup?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||1 Hour 15 Minutes||1 Hour 30 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Outback Steakhouse French Onion Soup?
For White Sauce
- Flour- The flour makes this sauce thick. Yup, that is the whole point of its existence.
- Butter- The butter makes it smooth, rich, and better, just like it makes my life (*butter supremacy*).
- Whole Milk- The whole milk adds to the fat and richness, making the sauce creamy.
- Salt- A little salt to give it a little flavor.
- Yellow Sweet Onion- Use thinly sliced mild onions for your French soup. You don’t want the onions to overpower the aroma or taste of the soup.
- Velveeta Cheese- Velveeta cheese makes the soup creamy and a bit salty.
- Butter- Add the rich fat goodness to your soup by cooking your onions in butter.
- Chicken Bouillon Cubes and Chicken Broth- Make the base for your soup with broth and bouillon cubes and make a savory and flavorful soup.
- White Sauce- The thick white sauce you prepared above comes in handy here.
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper- You can add a lot of ingredients to the soup, but if you don’t season it well, it’ll all go to waste.
- Cheddar Cheese- Add some shredded cheddar to garnish your soup and enjoy.
Steps To Make Outback Steakhouse French Onion Soup
1. Making The White Sauce
Take a 1-quart saucepan and add the butter and melt it on medium heat. Then, add the flour to it, stir and cook until it becomes thick.
After that, pour the milk into it and keep stirring it so no lumps are formed. I mean who likes a lumpy sauce? Add some salt and keep stirring the mixture until it becomes thick. Keep it warm and lump-free until you are ready to add it to the soup, which will be in a few minutes.
2. French Soup Says “Bonjour”
Now, take the 2-quart saucepan and melt the 2 tablespoons butter in it. Add the sliced onions to it as well. Cook them until they are soft and clear.
Then, pour the canned chicken broth into the pan and also add the bouillon cubes, some salt, and pepper to the pan too.
3. Smooth Like Velvet-a
Then, add the Velveeta cheese cubes and the prepared thick white sauce to the pan. Keep stirring while on medium-low heat until all the cheese has melted and everything has combined.
Simmer the soup for about 45 minutes until it is thick and rich. Pour into serving bowls and garnish with cheddar cheese and serve with delicious sweet bread or if you want something French, a baguette.
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Trans Fat||0.4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.8 g|
How Will The Outback Steakhouse French Onion Soup Look And Taste Like?
The soup is topped with delicious cheddar that melts and gives it a cheesy top. When you breakthrough that layer, you find a thick, rich, and buttery soup. The mild onions add sweetness and the white roux makes it thick. This is the comfort food of your dreams. Tear a piece of bread and sip into this bowl filled with delight.
Outback Steakhouse French Onion Soup Recipe
- 2 Quart Saucepan
- 1 Quart Saucepan
- Knife, Wooden Spoon, and Spatula
For White Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 ½ cups Whole Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Yellow Sweet Onion (thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup Velveeta Cheese (cubed)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 1 (15-ounces) can Chicken Broth
- 1 ½ cups White Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon each Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Cheddar Cheese (shredded, for garnish)
For The White Sauce
- In a 1-quart saucepan, add the butter and melt it on medium heat. Then, add the flour to it. Stir and cook until it becomes thick.
- After that, pour the milk into it and keep stirring it so no lumps are formed. Add some salt and keep stirring the mixture until it becomes thick. Keep it warm and lump-free until you are ready to add it to the soup.
For The Soup
- Now, take the 2-quart saucepan and melt the 2 tablespoons butter in it. Add the sliced onions to it as well. Cook them until they are soft and clear.
- Then, pour the canned chicken broth into the pan. Add the bouillon cubes, some salt, and pepper to the pan too.
- Then, add the Velveeta cheese cubes and the thick white sauce to the pan. Keep stirring while on medium-low heat until all the cheese has melted and everything has combined.
- Simmer the soup for about 45 minutes until it is thick and rich.
- Pour into serving bowls and garnish with cheddar cheese and serve with delicious sweet bread.
This is all about the Outback Steakhouse French onion soup recipe. Tell me in the comments how well you liked it. Happy cooking!