Osso buco is made from cooking veal shanks cooked in vegetables and spices and covered in a delicious gremolata sauce. It is not complicated to make and is a delicious meal.
Osso buco is a great dish from Lombard cuisine. Lombard cuisine is a part of an Italian cruise from the Lombardy region of Italy. It is a gourmet recipe made with premium cut veal shanks. The veal shanks are braised with vegetables in wine and broth. It is a bit expensive but is very delicious.
To make Osso buco, cook the pancetta in a dutch oven until it becomes crispy. Then, coat the veal shanks with salt, pepper, and flour. Cook it until it becomes brown. Then, cook onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and thyme in the pan. Add wine and broth to it. Cook it for an hour and a half. Serve the veal shanks with gremolata sauce.
This is just a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Butterflied Roast Chicken– You must be wondering why the recipe is called butterflied roast chicken. This is because the technique used to make this chicken is known as butterflied technique. The technique involves roasting the chicken after removing the chicken’s backbone. This will flatten the chicken.
2. Jackfruit Tacos– This fruit is a replica of shredded meat. So all the vegetarians who want to experience something similar to the chicken, cook them up. So make them part of this dish and do not waste them.
3. Chinese Schezwan Paneer– A cooking style everybody’s favorite, Schezwan, especially being it oily peppery and spicy; all we need is the balance of Chinese cuisine leading to a perfect taste in one dish.
4. Garlic Mushrooms on Toast– Mushroom on toast is a yummy topping of these your favorite ingredient; cooked with aromatic spices. A little, quick bread pizza to give you a tummy-filling supper.
Ingredients for Osso Buco
|Veal Shanks||2-3 pounds|
|Carrots (diced)||½ cup|
|Celery (diced)||½ cup|
|Onion (chopped)||1 medium|
|Garlic (minced)||4 cloves|
|Fresh Thyme||3-4 sprigs|
|White Wine||1 cup|
|Chicken Stock||1-2 cups|
|Flat Parsley||2 teaspoons|
|Lemon Zest (grated)||1 teaspoon|
|Garlic (minced)||2 cloves|
How Much Time Will it Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||1 Hour 30 Minutes||1 Hour 50 Minutes|
Osso Buco Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325oF.
- After that, keep your dutch oven on the stove and let it heat for about 5 minutes. Add this Pancetta and let it cook while stirring it in between.
- After the Pancetta is ready, you will notice it has a crispy texture and has almost lost all its fats. Cover it with a paper towel, and keep it aside.
- Now, season the veal shanks with some salt and pepper. Coat them with some flour and add it to the pan.
- You will have to increase the heat and cook these shanks until they brown. Remove them once done.
- Now, add the onions, celery and carrots to the oven. Cook them until onions change their texture and look translucent. Cook it along with garlic and thyme.
- Bring back these shanks to the pan and add some wine. Pour some stock so that half of shanks are covered in it. Cook it on low heat and simmer it. Keep the pan in the oven, fully covered, and let the meat cook until it becomes tender. It will take about an hour and a half.
- Prepare the gremolata sauce by mixing up parsley, lemon zest and garlic in a small bowl and you can serve it in a separate bowl.
Nutritional Breakdown of Osso Buco