Everybody wants to make the original KFC chicken drumsticks recipe at home, but no one can find what KFC do. The secret spice recipe of KFC chicken drumsticks is here. Trust me; it is easy to make.
To make original KFC chicken drumsticks, mix all the spices in a bowl. Then combine it with flour, brown sugar, and salt. Dip the chicken pieces in the egg and then in the flour mix to cover all of it. Then, fry the chicken for about twenty minutes and serve hot.
While KFC chicken drumsticks are traditionally fried, you can also bake or grill them for a healthier option.
It was just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. But before getting the instructions, check out our other copycat recipes from KFC below.
1. KFC Secret Sauce – KFC secret sauce is a perfect dressing for salads. This sauce is also paired with sandwiches, burgers, or KFC chicken. It has ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, onion juice, garlic, Tabasco sauce, chili sauce, mayonnaise, and seasoning spices. This delicious blend of flavors gives a sweet and tangy taste with a hint of spiciness from mustard and seasoning spices.
2. KFC Pepper Mayonnaise – KFC pepper mayonnaise is a spicy dip. This dip is infused with lemon juice, mustard, red pepper, garlic, oil, and egg. This smooth creamy dip can be enjoyed with snacks, chicken, salads, or any other side dish.
3. KFC Coleslaw – KFC coleslaw is a delicious mixture of shredded cabbage, onions, and carrots. This mixture is dressed with the flavors of lemon juice, vinegar, milk, mayonnaise mixture, and buttermilk. It’s a healthy side dish paired with any main course food item.
4. KFC Nashville Hot Chicken – KFC Nashville hot chicken has chicken coated with spicy flavors. This chicken is fried after being dredged into the spicy batter. It’s loaded with the flavors of dry mustard, garlic, cornstarch, chili powder, hot sauce, pickle juice, and egg. This chicken can be enjoyed with bleu cheese or ranch or any other dip of your choice.
What's In The Post
How Are KFC Chicken Drumsticks Different From Regular Chicken Drumsticks?
There are several differences between KFC and regular chicken drumsticks that you might find at a grocery store or a restaurant. Here are some of the main differences:
- Seasoning – KFC chicken drumsticks are seasoned with a proprietary blend of spices and herbs unique to the KFC recipe. This seasoning gives KFC chicken its distinct flavor that is different from other types of fried chicken.
- Coating – KFC chicken drumsticks are coated in a special batter made with flour, spices, and other ingredients. This coating helps to give the chicken a crispy and crunchy texture when it is fried.
- Cooking Method – KFC chicken drumsticks are typically deep-fried in oil, giving them a crisp exterior and a tender and juicy interior. Regular chicken drumsticks may be cooked using various methods, such as baking, grilling, or pan-frying.
- Quality Of Ingredients – KFC uses high-quality chicken free of antibiotics and hormones. The chicken is also delivered fresh to each KFC location and is never frozen. Regular chicken drumsticks may not be held to the same standards of quality.
- Size – KFC chicken drumsticks may be larger than regular ones, depending on the size of the chicken used.
So, KFC chicken drumsticks are different from regular chicken drumsticks due to their unique seasoning, coating, cooking method, quality of ingredients, and size.
What Are The Tips To Make The Best KFC Chicken Drumsticks?
Here are some tips to make the best KFC-style chicken drumsticks at home:
- Marinate The Chicken – Marinating the chicken in buttermilk for several hours or overnight can help tenderize the meat and infuse it with flavor. You can also add spices or hot sauce to the buttermilk marinade to give the chicken an extra kick of flavor.
- Use A Spice Blend – The KFC spice blend is a closely guarded secret, but you can use a blend of spices such as paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to season your chicken. Mix the spices in a bowl and then coat the chicken.
- Use A Coating – To get that crispy, crunchy exterior that KFC chicken is known for; you’ll want to coat the chicken in a mixture of flour and cornstarch. You can also add spices to the coating mixture to enhance the flavor.
- Fry The Chicken – To get the best results, fry it in hot oil until it is golden brown and crispy on the outside and cooked through on the inside. You can use a deep fryer or a large pot to fry the chicken.
- Drain The Chicken – Drain it on a wire rack or paper towel to remove any excess oil once cooked.
- Serve Hot – KFC chicken is best served hot and fresh from the fryer. Serve your chicken drumsticks with your favorite dipping sauces, such as ranch dressing, honey mustard, or barbecue sauce.
Following these tips, you can make delicious and crispy KFC-style chicken drumsticks at home to satisfy your cravings.
Can I Use Other Cuts Of Chicken For KFC Chicken Drumsticks?
While drumsticks are the most common cut of chicken used in KFC-style fried chicken, you can certainly use other cuts of chicken if you prefer. Here are some options:
- Chicken Thighs – Chicken thighs are a great alternative to drumsticks. They are juicier and more flavorful than chicken breasts and can be cooked like drumsticks.
- Chicken Wings – Chicken wings can also be used to make KFC-style fried chicken. They are smaller than drumsticks so they will cook more quickly. You can also use the same seasoning and coating mixture for drumsticks.
- Chicken Breast – Chicken breast is a leaner cut of meat, so it may not be as juicy or flavorful as other cuts of chicken. However, you can use chicken breast to make KFC-style fried chicken if you prefer white meat.
Remember that the cooking time may vary depending on the cut of chicken you use. You’ll want to ensure that the chicken is cooked all the way through before serving.
Also, different cuts of chicken may have different textures and flavors, so the result may be slightly different than when using drumsticks.
Why Is My Fried Chicken Drumsticks Raw Inside?
If your fried chicken drumsticks are raw inside, they have not been cooked throughout. There are a few reasons why this might happen:
- Oil Temperature – If the oil temperature is too low, the chicken may not cook evenly and thoroughly. Ensure to heat the oil to the proper temperature (around 350-375°F) before adding the chicken.
- Crowding The Pan – If you add too many chicken drumsticks at once, the oil temperature may drop, and the chicken may not cook evenly. Make sure to leave enough space between the drumsticks when frying.
- Chicken Size – If the chicken drumsticks are too large, they may not cook until the outside becomes too dark. Consider using smaller drumsticks or cutting them into smaller pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Cooking Time – If you remove the chicken from the oil too soon, it may not be fully cooked. Ensure to cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F.
To avoid undercooked fried chicken drumsticks, make sure to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It’s important to cook the chicken throughout to avoid foodborne illnesses.
Additionally, let the chicken rest on a wire rack for a few minutes after frying to allow the juices to redistribute and the chicken to cool slightly before serving.
Can I Soak Chicken Drumsticks in Milk?
Yes, you can soak chicken drumsticks in milk, which can help make the chicken more tender and flavorful. Milk is an excellent meat tenderizer due to the lactic acid it contains, which can help break down the proteins in the chicken and make it more tender.
To soak chicken drumsticks in milk, you can use any type you prefer, such as whole milk or buttermilk. Simply pour enough milk into a bowl or a sealable plastic bag to completely cover the chicken drumsticks, and let them soak in the milk for several hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
You can add spices, herbs, or hot sauce to the milk marinade to flavour the chicken. After soaking the chicken drumsticks in milk, pat them dry with paper towels before coating them in flour and frying them.
It will help ensure the coating sticks to the chicken and becomes crispy and crunchy when fried.
What Are The Ways To Make KFC Chicken Drumsticks?
There are several ways to make KFC-style chicken drumsticks at home. Here are a few methods you can try:
- Traditional Flour Coating – This method involves coating the chicken drumsticks in a flour mixture that includes a blend of herbs and spices similar to KFC’s secret recipe. The coated chicken is then fried until crispy and golden brown.
- Buttermilk Marinade – Marinating the chicken in buttermilk before coating it in flour helps to tenderize the meat and add flavor. The buttermilk marinade can also include a blend of herbs and spices for added flavor.
- Oven-Baked – For a healthier alternative to deep-fried chicken drumsticks, you can bake them in the oven. It involves coating the drumsticks in a seasoned flour mixture and baking them in the oven until they are crispy and cooked.
- Air Fryer – Another healthy alternative is to use an air fryer to cook the chicken drumsticks. The drumsticks are coated in a seasoned flour mixture and then cooked in the air fryer until crispy and golden brown.
Regardless of your chosen method, seasoning is the key to making KFC-style chicken drumsticks at home. Experiment with different herbs and spices until you find the perfect blend that replicates the taste of KFC chicken drumsticks.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Original KFC Chicken Drumsticks?
- Frying Pan – You need to fry drumsticks deep, so you need a frying pan to do so.
- Large Bowls – Make the spice blend, the flour mixture, and the egg wash in one.
- Spoon – Use the spoon to beat the eggs.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Original KFC Chicken Drumsticks?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||30 Minutes||40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Original KFC Chicken Drumsticks?
- Chicken Drumsticks – With this recipe, get many drumsticks to make a delicious KFC-style bucket.
- Neutral Oil – Fry your drumsticks in a neutral oil so they don’t have an overpowering smell or taste.
- Egg – Beat the egg to make the egg wash for the drumsticks.
- All-Purpose Flour – Make the crusty covering for the chicken with flour.
- KFC Spice Blend – The spice blend is the most crucial part of this recipe. It is a mixture of 11 herbs and spices that make this recipe amazing.
- Brown Sugar – Add sugar for a slight sweetness.
- Kosher Salt – A little bit of salt to balance it all.
Steps To Make Original KFC Chicken Drumsticks With Images
Step 1- Dip the chicken pieces buttermilk and give it a good mix.
Step 2- Combine all-purpose flour, brown sugar, salt, and KFC spice blend in a bowl.
Step 3- Take two egg whites and whisk them properly.
Step 4- Then, coat the chicken drumsticks with the prepared flour mixture and then in the egg whites and then again in the flour mixture properly. Repeat the process with all the chicken pieces.
Step 5- Let chicken pieces rest for 5 minutes so the crust dries a bit.
Step 6- Fry the chicken drumsticks for about 20 minutes until they become golden and crispy in a pan.
Step 7- Drain off the excess oil from the chicken on a few paper towels and serve hot with the dipping sauce of your choice.
KFC Chicken Drumsticks Recipe Video
Here is the full recipe video that we’ve made for KFC’s original chicken drumsticks recipe.
How To Serve KFC Chicken Drumsticks?
KFC-style chicken drumsticks are a classic dish that can be served in various ways. Here are some ideas:
- On Their Own – KFC-style chicken drumsticks are delicious and can be served as a main dish. Place them on a platter or plate, and serve with your favorite dipping sauces, such as ranch dressing or BBQ sauce.
- With Sides – KFC-style chicken drumsticks can be served with various sides, such as mashed potatoes, coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, corn on the cob, or biscuits. It makes for a complete and satisfying meal.
- In A Sandwich – You can also use KFC-style chicken drumsticks to make a delicious sandwich. Serve them on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and your favorite condiments, such as mayonnaise or hot sauce.
- In A Wrap – Another great option is to use KFC-style chicken drumsticks in a wrap. Simply wrap them in a tortilla with lettuce, tomato, and other toppings you like.
No matter how you serve KFC-style chicken drumsticks, they will surely be crowd-pleasers. Enjoy!
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
How Will Original KFC Chicken Drumsticks Look And Taste Like?
KFC chicken drumsticks have a crispy, golden-brown exterior and a juicy, flavorful interior after frying. The breading on the chicken is made with a blend of flour and spices, giving it a signature taste unique to KFC.
The chicken is tender and juicy on the inside. The herbs and spices make the chicken extremely flavorful.
When cooked properly, KFC chicken drumsticks are tender, moist, and flavorful, with a satisfying crunch on the outside. So, KFC chicken drumsticks are a delicious and popular fast food item known for their unique taste and texture.
How To Store KFC Chicken Drumsticks?
If you have leftover KFC chicken drumsticks, here are some tips on how to store them properly:
- Cool The Chicken – Allow it to cool to room temperature before storing it in the refrigerator.
- Store In An Airtight Container – Transfer the chicken drumsticks to an airtight container. Ensure the container is just the right size to avoid air pockets that can cause the chicken to spoil.
- Refrigerate Promptly – Place the container in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking the chicken to prevent bacterial growth.
- Use Within 4 Days – KFC chicken drumsticks can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. After this time, they may spoil and develop an off-flavor.
- Reheat Properly – When reheating the chicken drumsticks, heat them to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) to ensure they are safe to eat. You can reheat them in the oven, microwave, or air fryer.
Following these simple steps, you can safely store and enjoy your leftover KFC chicken drumsticks.
Original KFC Chicken Drumsticks Recipe
- Frying Pan
- Large Bowls
- 6 Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 quarts Neutral Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons KFC Spice Blend
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- Dip the chicken pieces buttermilk and give it a good mix.
- Combine all-purpose flour, brown sugar, salt, and KFC spice blend in a bowl.
- Take two egg whites and whisk them properly.
- Then, coat the chicken drumsticks with the prepared flour mixture and then in the egg whites and then again in the flour mixture properly. Repeat the process with all the chicken pieces.
- Let chicken pieces rest for 5 minutes so the crust dries a bit.
- Fry the chicken drumsticks for about 20 minutes until they become golden and crispy in a pan.
- Drain off the excess oil from the chicken on a few paper towels and serve hot with the dipping sauce of your choice.
This was it about the recipe! Try to make it and tell me how well you liked it. Mention your suggestions and queries in the comments below. I’ll be happy to help you. Till then, happy eating!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are KFC chicken drumsticks made of?
KFC chicken drumsticks are made of chicken, flour, salt, pepper, and secret herbs and spices.
Can I reheat KFC chicken drumsticks?
You can reheat KFC chicken drumsticks in the oven, microwave, or air fryer. However, reheating may affect the texture and taste of the chicken.
How long can I store KFC chicken drumsticks in the refrigerator?
KFC chicken drumsticks can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Are KFC chicken drumsticks gluten-free?
No, KFC chicken drumsticks are not gluten-free. They are coated in flour, which contains gluten.