Orange cranberry bread is sweet and sour made with orange juice and zest with cranberries folded in. It is a fruity bread and is a great bread for brunch. It is so delicious you can also eat it without a spread.
To make orange cranberry bread, mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugars in a large bowl. In another bowl, mix orange juice, milk, egg, and orange zest. Now, combine the wet mixture and the dry mixture.
Fold in the cranberries and apples. Pour this mixture into a greased baking pan and bake for about 50 minutes. Then, take it out and let it cool.
Instead of frozen cranberries, you can also use one cup of dried cranberries. The baking time will be a little bit shorter because dried fruits are less moist.
When using dried cranberries, we recommend soaking them in orange or cranberry juice first. Heat up the juice, add cranberries, and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Strain before adding them to the batter.
This is just a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. You can also find other interesting bread recipes below.
Other Bread Recipes That You Can Try
- Buttermilk Spoon Bread Recipe
- Spinach Spoon Bread Recipe
- Golden Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- DownEast Maine Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Sweet Potato Rolls Recipe
- Crumbly And Fluffy Angel Biscuits Recipe
- Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe
- Brioche Rolls Recipe
- Christmas Tree Bread Recipe
- Ciabatta Stuffing Recipe
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Orange Cranberry Bread?
- Oven – Bake the orange cranberry bread for 50 minutes until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Oven-Proof Pan – Pour the prepared dough mixture into a greased pan and place the pan in the oven for baking.
- Mixing Bowls – Prepare the dough mixture in separate mixing bowls for the ease.
- Spatula – Fold cranberries and apples in the dough mixture with a spatula.
- Whisk – Combine the wet ingredients in a bowl using a whisk until smooth.
- Cooking Spray – Drizzle the cooking spray over the pan to avoid the dough to stick.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Orange Cranberry Bread?
|Preparation Time||Baking Time||Total Time|
|20 Minutes||50 Minutes||1 Hour 10 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Orange Cranberry Bread?
- Orange Juice – Orange juice will add tangy flavor to the bread.
- Egg – Eggs will give the bread a moist and tender crumb.
- Milk – Milk will add rich flavor, enriching the dough and gives the bread a creamy color, soft crumb and a golden crust.
- Orange Zest – Orange zest will add a deep orange floral note to the glaze.
- Frozen Cranberries – Frozen cranberries will add tanginess. These berries are traditionally sweetened and cooked to reduce some of their tartness.
- Apples – I have used Granny Smith apples for the orange cranberry bread as it will add a balance of sweet and tart flavors.
- Canola Oil – Cannoli oil will add moisture to the loaf.
- All-Purpose Flour – Use all-purpose to give the bread a subtle structure.
- Baking Powder – Baking powder will act as a leavening agent, making the loaf rise.
- Ground Cinnamon – I have used ground cinnamon because of its sweet and woody flavor profile.
- Ground Nutmeg – Ground nutmeg is the perfect addition to the bread as it will add warm and nutty flavor.
- Brown Sugar – The brown sugar will make the bread extra moist because of molasses in it, giving this bread a deeper color and flavor as well.
- Sugar – Sugar will help balance the tanginess of the cranberries and orange juice.
- Salt – Salt will help tighten the gluten strands, making the dough stronger.
Steps To Make Orange Cranberry Bread
1. For The Bread
Start by chopping apples into chunks and grate the orange peels for the zest. Drizzle the cooking spray over the pan and keep it aside. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Now in a large mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Mix it well until combined through.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk orange juice, milk, egg, and orange zest with a whisk. Then, combine both the mixtures and mix well.
2. Bake The Bread
Once done, fold the frozen cranberries and chopped apples to the mixture. Pour the mixture into a greased pan.
Place the pan in the oven and bake at 350° for about 50 minutes until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Take the bread out and let it cool for some time. Your orange cranberry bread is ready.
How Will Orange Cranberry Bread Look And Taste Like?
Orange cranberry bread has a moist and tender crumb and is loaded with juicy cranberries. It has the perfect balance of sweet and tangy, this loaf stays moist for a few days.
Combining cranberries with orange juice and freshly grated zest elevates its flavor and results in a perfectly balanced sweet and tart flavor. This moist cranberry orange bread makes a delicious snack for Thanksgiving!
Orange Cranberry Bread Recipe
- Oven-proof Pan
- Mixing Bowls
- Cooking Spray
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 3 teaspoon Orange Zest (grated)
- 2 cups Frozen Cranberries
- 1 Apple (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ⅔ cup Brown Sugar
- ⅔ cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Start by chopping apples into chunks and grate the orange peels for the zest.
- Drizzle the cooking spray over the pan and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Now in a large mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Mix it well until combined through.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk orange juice, milk, egg, and orange zest with a whisk.
- Then, combine both the mixtures and mix well.
- Once done, fold the frozen cranberries and chopped apples to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a greased pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake at 350° for about 50 minutes until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Take the bread out and let it cool for some time. Your orange cranberry bread is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I add nuts to orange cranberry bread?
You can make this a cranberry nut bread by folding in 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans when adding the cranberries to the batter.
How to freeze the loaf?
Cool the loaf completely to room temperature then place in a freezer-safe zip bag, removing any excess air. Freeze up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Do I have to thaw frozen cranberries?
When using frozen cranberries thaw them until they can be chopped safely. They do not have to be completely thawed.
How to freeze orange cranberry bread?
You can freeze this Cranberry Bread. Let it cool completely then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze it for up to 3 months. To defrost take it out of the freezer and let it defrost at room temperature overnight. You can also freeze individual slices to make them defrost quicker – perfect for a quick breakfast!
Cranberry orange bread is easy and quick to make from scratch and keeps fresh for days! This moist cranberry bread is perfect for the holidays.