Orange chicken is a unique chicken recipe that combines chicken with our favorite citrus fruit. It is made by covering the fried chicken with a delicious orange sauce. It is delicious and easy to make.
I am a big fan of anything with citrus or tangy flavor. That is when the orange chicken comes into the picture. It is easy to make and flavorful. It is also a unique take on fried chicken.
To make orange chicken, add orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and red chilies to a pot. Cook for some time and add cornstarch paste. Cook it until it thickens. Then, dip chicken pieces in eggs, flour mixture and then, fry them. Toss the pieces in the sauce and garnish with orange zest and green onions. Your orange chicken is ready!
You can also use any of the orange juice substitutes in the recipe if you’re out of orange juice. This is just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Lemon Chicken– Lemon chicken is one of the easiest recipes among other chicken recipes. You must be wondering; we can even put lemon on the chicken rather than adding it while cooking.
2. Mustard Chicken– Boneless chicken breasts soak up a comforting sauce filled with Dijon, herbs, and wine. There is only one feeling you get when sitting down to eat this French Mustard Chicken, pure decadence.
3. Thai Chicken Balls– This Thai Chicken Balls dish would remind you of Thai restaurants and give you the pleasure of Thai flavor at home. If you make Thai Chicken Balls at home, you can either give them a small shape or a large one resembling a burger.
4. Chicken Milano– A delicious Italian cuisine, Chicken Milano is quite easy to make. It takes only half an hour to make this pasta. It is an absolute delight to have Chicken Milano served on your plates.
Orange Chicken Recipe
- 4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 3 Eggs
- ⅓ cup Cornstarch
- ⅓ cup Flour
- Oil (for frying)
For Orange Chicken Sauce
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons White Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- ½ cup Green Onions (chopped)
- Orange Zest (for garnishing)
- In a medium pot, add orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and red chilies. Bring them to a boil and cook them for about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add some cornstarch and water to form a paste. Add orange juice to it and mix them. Add this to the pot. Cook it for about 5 minutes until it gets thicker. Once thick, remove the heat and keep it aside.
To Make The Chicken
- Add some flour and cornstarch to a dish or plate. Season some salt and stir it well.
- In another dish or plate, whisk the eggs and keep them aside.
- Now, take the chicken pieces, dip them in the egg mixture, and then coat it with the flour mixture.
- Heat some oil in a skillet with medium-high heat. Keep a note of the temperature.
- After the oil is hot enough, place the chicken pieces in it gently. Cook each side for about 3-4 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Place these chicken pieces on a tissue or soaking towel and remove the excessive oil. Fry all the chicken batches and repeat them.
- Toss the fried chicken in the sauce. Stir them so they get coated well and garnish with some green onions and orange zest.