When thinking of the summers, the first thing that comes to mind is a creamy scoop of ice cream. Today, I will be sharing the Old-Time Custard Ice cream recipe.
Old-time recipes are the ones that are passed from one generation to another. This custard ice cream recipe is tried and tested. My grandmother taught me this recipe back in the day. I have tried this recipe like a zillion times. So, I can vouch for this recipe for sure.
For old-time custard ice cream, make a mixture of sugar, all-purpose flour, salt, milk, lightly beaten eggs, heavy whipping cream with vanilla extract, transfer it to the freezing containers and place it in the freezer to be firm.
It is just a brief of the recipe; more details of the recipe are given below. Starting with the ingredients, you need to make this ice cream. Take a note of the list of ingredients and give this recipe a try.
Ingredients For Old-Time Custard Ice Cream
- 1-1/2 cups Sugar
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 4 Large Eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 Pints Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tablespoons Vanilla Extract
The ingredients that you require to make this ice cream are readily accessible in any supermarket. You might find some of them in your kitchen. So, make a note and then proceed to the time you need to prepare this recipe.
How Much Time Will It Take To Make Old-Time Custard Ice Cream?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|55 Minutes||55 Minutes||1 Hour 50 Minutes|
Making an ice cream involves few steps, so this may take some time for the preparation. However, it is not a complicated recipe. You will see it yourself by looking at the steps below. So take a look.
Steps To Make Old-Time Custard Ice Cream
- Take a large, heavy saucepan and mix sugar, salt, and flour in it. Make this mixture smooth by adding milk to it. Cook this over medium flame and stir it until it becomes bubbly and thick.
- Now, reduce the flame to a minimum and cook it for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs with a small amount of the hot mixture. Add this to the pan and whisk constantly. Bring this all to boil and cook it for 2 minutes with stirring constantly. Remove this from heat immediately.
- Transfer this to a large bowl after placing the bowl on a pan of ice water. Stir it gently. Press the surface of the custard with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Add cream and vanilla into the custard. Fill ice cream freezer cylinders two-thirds of its capacity and freeze them as per the manufacturer’s direction. Transfer the contents to the freezer containers and allow some headspace for expansion. Freeze it for 2-4 hours till it gets firm.
- Repeat till you freeze the whole ice cream mixture.
Nutritional Breakdown of Old-Time Custard Ice Cream
Let’s count the calories and the other nutritional composition you will be consuming with a serving of this ice cream.
How To Make Old-Time Custard Ice-Cream At Home | Video
I have uploaded a video with alternate recipe. Watch it and be clear about the details.
If you still have any queries, write them up in the comment section below, and I will try to help you. Do try this recipe and share your reviews in the comment section below. I would like to know about your experience with this recipe. Share your stories while making the recipe. Your suggestions are also greeted. Write them up in the comment section, and I will keep a note on that. Now, hurry and enjoy cooking!