When thinking of the summers, the first thing that comes to mind is a creamy scoop of ice cream. The old-time custard ice cream is made by making a classic custard and then freezing it.
This custard ice cream recipe is tried and tested. My grandmother taught me this recipe back in the day. I have tried this recipe like a zillion times. So, I can vouch for this recipe for sure.
For old-time custard ice cream, make a mixture of sugar, all-purpose flour, salt, milk, lightly beaten eggs, heavy whipping cream with vanilla extract, transfer it to the freezing containers and place it in the freezer to be firm.
It is just a brief of the recipe; more details of the recipe are given below. Starting with the ingredients, you need to make this ice cream. But before you check out the full recipe, do have a look at these other ice cream recipes.
1. Pralines and Cream Ice Cream– Pralines and Cream is one of the most popular ice cream flavours in the world and now, you can easily try it out at your home.
2. Chunky Monkey Ice Cream– Ben & Jerry’s is one of the most authentic ice cream chains in America and this Chunky Monkey ice cream is one of their original flavours.
3. Black Walnut Ice Cream– The black walnut ice cream is super tasty. This recipe has real walnuts in it that are really good for your health and of course, how can one say no to ice cream?
4. Ube Ice Cream– One of the oldest ice creams out there, the ube ice cream is also famous for the vivid lavender color that makes it look more beautiful and attractive.
Old-Time Custard Ice Cream Recipe
- 1-½ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 cup Whole Milk
- 4 large Eggs (lightly beaten)
- 2 Pints Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Take a large, heavy saucepan and mix sugar, salt, and flour in it. Make this mixture smooth by adding milk to it. Cook this over medium flame and stir it until it becomes bubbly and thick.
- Now, reduce the flame to a minimum and cook it for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs with a small amount of the hot mixture. Add this to the pan and whisk constantly. Bring this all to a boil and cook it for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove this from heat immediately.
- Transfer this to a large bowl after placing the bowl on a pan of ice water. Stir it gently. Press the surface of the custard with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Add cream and vanilla to the custard. Fill ice cream freezer cylinders with two-thirds of their capacity and freeze them as per the manufacturer’s direction. Transfer the contents to the freezer containers and allow some headspace for expansion. Freeze it for 2-4 hours till it gets firm.
- Repeat till you freeze the whole ice cream mixture.