Winter is near, and you are not sure what to cook! You may be looking for a comforting soup for the chilly winter. Here is a soothing old fashioned ham and bean soup recipe that you must try. It’s packed with nutrition and tantalizes your taste buds too. So, let’s look at the recipe.
To make this soup, soak the beans overnight. The next day, start with cooking ham in the pot. Then prepare vegetables and saute them. Now combine all the ingredients in the pot along with spices and herbs. Cook for two to three hours on a low flame. The ham and bean soup is ready.
When making ham and bean soup, it’s essential to simmer it longer. It would help if you let it simmer for at least two to three hours. Moreover, when making the soup, constantly adjust the salt at the end of the cooking.
This is because cooked ham will be salty, and the seasonings will add their flavors. So, adjusting the salty flavor in your soup by the end of cooking will give you a perfectly balanced taste.
Stick with this recipe article and know all the required equipment and ingredients. Also, I will mention nutritional information and the exact flavor and taste profile of this soup. Let’s prepare a hot and comforting soup.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Old Fashioned Ham And Bean Soup?
- Pot – Cook the soup in the soup pot with beans, ham hock, and vegetables.
- Cutting Board – Use a cutting board to chop vegetables like onions, celery ribs, and carrots.
- Knife – Use a knife to chop off the vegetables.
- Wooden Spoon – Use a wooden spoon to stir the soup gradually.
- Ladle – Use a spoon to serve the soup in the serving bowls.
- Colander – Use a colander to rinse the beans and drain them before using them for cooking.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Old Fashioned Ham And Bean Soup?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||30 Minutes||40 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Old Fashioned Ham And Bean Soup?
- Dried Navy Beans – Use small white beans for the recipe. It has a mild flavor and gives you a creamy texture when cooked.
- Oil – Use oil to saute vegetables in the cooking pan.
- Water – Use 8 cups of water to cook beans and ham hocks. Water will help you make a nice smooth broth.
- Ham Hocks – Ham hock is a cut form of a ham’s legs. It has a lot of flavor and will make a nice soup. Moreover, it adds a savory flavor to your soup.
- Cooked Ham – Add cooked ham for your soup’s delicious flavor and chewy texture.
- Onions – Onions add a nice savory flavor to the soup. Add two medium-chopped onions.
- Garlic – Some minced garlic for the lovely garlicky flavor. It will change the whole flavor game of your soup.
- Celery Ribs – Go for adding celery ribs to your soup. Although slightly bitter, it will create a nice balance with savory flavors.
- Carrot – Add chopped carrots to make an earthy soup you love. Also, it adds a nice poppy orange color.
- Bay Leaves – Some bay leaves for the aromatic flavors in the soup.
- Thyme – Another dried herb to take your soup to the next level. It will add an extra layer of earthy flavor to it.
- Salt – Finally, balance your soup with some salt.
- White Pepper – White pepper adds subtle flavor to the soup. It’s less spicy than black pepper, so that you will enjoy the comfort soup with no extra spiciness.
Steps To Make Old Fashioned Ham And Bean Soup
1. Soak The Beans Overnight
Before making the soup, the first thing to do is soak the beans overnight. Place the dried beans in the large bowl with water and cover. Soak the beans overnight for enhanced flavors.
2. Cook The Ham
The very next day, start preparing the ham. For that, you need a large pot. Place the chopped ham in the large pot with water and cover. Bring it to a boil, and then keep the flame slow. Now it’s time to simmer the ham for the next two hours. The meat will become tender. Move down to the next step now.
3. Sauté Vegetables
Soups are incomplete without vegetables. So, take a pot and heat the oil in it. Now add onions, garlic, celery ribs, and carrots. Saute until the veggies are soft and fragrant.
4. Combine All The Ingredients Now
It’s time to combine all the ingredients in the same pot. So, add cooked ham, soaked beans, water, thyme, and bay leaves. You can also add preserved ham water for better flavors. It’s optional.
Bring everything to a boil and then simmer everything for about two hours. Lastly, season with salt and white pepper according to your taste. Last, remove the bay leaves and serve the soup hot.
|Total Fat||7.7 g|
How Will An Old Fashioned Ham And Bean Soup Look And Taste Like?
Old-fashioned ham and bean soup are rich, hearty, and full of flavors. It comes in light brown. Moreover, the savory scent of ham mingling with the earthy aroma of beans is the show’s star – it’s magical.
You will be rewarded with meaty flavors and creamy beans at your very first sip. Then, you will get a crunch of vegetables in every bite. It’s a wholesome soup altogether.
Try This ham and bean soup, the ultimate comfort food filled with meat, vegetables, and flavorful herbs and seasonings.
Old Fashioned Ham And Bean Soup Reicpe
- Cutting Board
- Wooden Spoon
- 1 pound Dried Navy Beans
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 8 cups Water
- 2 Ham Hocks
- 2 cups Cooked Ham
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 Celery Ribs (chopped)
- 1 Carrot (chopped)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- Salt (to taste)
- White Pepper (to taste)
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Boil chopped ham in water for 2 hours.
- Sauté onions, garlic, celery, and carrots in the cooking pan for five minutes.
- Combine cooked ham, soaked beans, sautéed vegetables, water, thyme, bay leaves, and water in a pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours.
- Season with salt and white pepper.
- Remove bay leaves and serve hot.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use canned beans instead of dried beans?
Yes, you can use canned beans. The canned beans will give more flavor and texture, and you save time soaking them overnight. You can instantly use them in the cooking. While you can use canned beans for convenience, the texture and flavor will not be the same as dried beans that have been soaked overnight.
What kind of beans do you put in ham and bean soup?
You can use northern beans and cannellini beans instead of navy beans. They will also provide excellent taste and health benefits too.
How do you thicken beans with ham soup?
To thicken ham and bean soup, you can use a potato masher or blender to mash some beans. This will release their starch and thicken the soup. Add flour with water to the soup, then let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. You will get nice thick soup.
How long can I store leftover soup?
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, you can freeze ham and bean soup. You can freeze it for up to 2 months. Before using it, cool it down completely and then place it in the refrigerator.
Can I make this soup in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can make this soup in a slow cooker. Add all ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or on high heat for 4-6 hours.
This old-fashioned ham and bean soup recipe is a delicious and nutritious meal that’s easy to make. Its hearty combination of beans, ham, and vegetables makes it the perfect dish for a cold winter night.
Follow the simple recipe steps mentioned above to make this soup. For more comforting recipes, follow theFoodxp recipe section and find exciting recipes.