Kick back and enjoy this classic New York sour recipe on some special occasions like Christmas. It’s a famous Manhattan drink that combines bourbon and fruity red wine.
The bourbon is mixed with sour liquids and the wine floats on top of the drink. Excited to know more about the recipe? Read on.
To make New York sour, combine bourbon, lemon juice, and simple syrup in the shaker along with ice cubes. Pour the drink into the glasses. Top the drink with red wine and garnish it with a lemon slice. Yay! The top-notch drink is ready.
If you are someone who loves to try new mixologies, this cocktail drink will surely impress you. It’s a perfect balance of sourness and sweetness. Use good quality red wine for this cocktail as it’s the primary ingredient.
Moreover, keep a note of the amount of sour liquids in your drink. The cocktail shouldn’t be overpowered with sourness.
Grab the cocktail shaker and make this sour drink. Take note of the ingredients and equipment list – let’s shake some leg today with this lovely New York sour recipe.
Tips That I Follow For Making New York Sour
When it comes to mixology, there are very few drinks as classic or iconic as the New York sour. This heady combination of bourbon, lemon juice, and red wine has been a mainstay of Manhattan bars for over a century and shows no signs of slowing down.
If you’re looking to make your own New York sour at home, there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind.
- First and foremost among them is that quality ingredients are the key. Use a good quality bourbon for the New York sour.
- You’ll want to make sure your sour mix is nice and tart. This will help to offset the sweetness of the wine.
- While shaking the sour ingredients, mix along with large ice cubes. As they chill the cocktail without diluting it. Also, those large ice cubes look great in the rock glasses.
- Adding egg whites to the shaker will create a thicker viscosity, which will make the cocktail special.
- Finally, while any type of red wine will do, we recommend using a Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot for their bold flavors. Also, be sure to pour the red wine slowly to create the perfect float.
With those tips in mind, let’s get mixing! Here’s our recipe for a perfect New York sour.
What Are Some Amazing Sour Cocktail Variations To Try?
There are countless variations of sour cocktails, but some of the most classic include the Margarita, Pisco Sour, and Whiskey Sour.
- The margarita is a refreshing and tart cocktail that is perfect for sipping on a hot summer day. It is made with tequila, lime juice, and orange liqueur.
- The pisco sour is a South American classic that is made with Peruvian pisco, lemon juice, simple syrup, egg white, and Angostura bitters.
- The whiskey sour is a timeless cocktail that is perfect for those who enjoy a good stiff drink. It is made with whiskey, lemon juice, sugar, and egg whites.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make New York Sour?
- Cocktail Shaker – Combine all the ingredients in the cocktail shaker except the red wine. Shake well.
- Cocktail Glasses – For this cocktail, we’ll use rock glasses as they just look amazing when served at parties.
- Spoon – Use a spoon to add the red wine to the rock glasses.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make New York Sour?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||–||5 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make New York Sour?
- Bourbon – Bourbon is a bit of a sweet and smooth combination with hints of vanilla and caramel. It adds a great taste to the New York sour.
- Lemon Juice – Add lemon juice because it’s a sour cocktail that we are talking about.
- Simple Syrup – Simple syrup is a sugar syrup that adds sweetness to the drink and balances its sour and tart taste of it.
- Fruity Red Wine – Float the fruity red wine on top of the cocktail. Because that’s the charm of this recipe. You can choose Zinfandel or Gamay red wine for this recipe.
- Lemon Slice – Garnish the New York sour with the lemon slice on the top.
Steps To Make New York Sour
1. Combine All Ingredients
Fill the cocktail shaker with bourbon, lemon juice, and simple syrup, along with crushed ice. Put the lid on a shaker. Shake until everything is combined. You will see frost forming on the shaker. Shake for fifteen seconds.
Take rock glasses. Put some large ice cubes in it. Strain the cocktail into them.
2. Garnish And Enjoy
Now it’s time to add the fruity red wine. Gently pour the wine with the help of a spoon. Hold the back of a spoon and pour wine over the drink.
For this cocktail, we will pour the red wine later on top of the drink. That’s the unique thing about this recipe.
Take a lime slice and pinch the rim of the glasses with it. Run around the glasses. Top the drink with a lemon slice and serve. New York sour is ready.
How Will New York Sour Look And Taste Like?
New York sour drink is a fruity, tart, and sour cocktail drink. It’s a great combination of strong whiskey and fruity red wine. Sour liquids like lemon juice add sour flavors.
The fruity red wine adds a nice red color to the drink. While the lemon slice on the top creates a refreshing vibe. Overall. It’s a beautiful-looking drink with a sweet and sour affair.
New York Sour Recipe
- 2 oz Bourbon
- 1 oz Lemon Juice
- ¾ oz Simple Syrup
- ½ oz Fruity Red Wine
- 1 Lemon Slice
- Combine bourbon, lemon juice, and simple syrup into the cocktail shaker along with crushed ice.
- Shake for fifteen seconds.
- Strain the cocktail into rock glasses filled with large ice cubes.
- Now take a spoon and pour the fruity red wine over the drink by holding the back of the spoon.
- Pinch the rim of the glasses with a lemon slice and then top the drink with the same.
- New York sour is ready to enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is it called a New York Sour?
The New York sour is the most famous drink in Manhattan’s bars. Therefore it’s named New York sour.
What does a New York Sour taste like?
The New York sour taste tart, fruity and fragrant flavors. Even the texture of the drink is something unique and different.
What is the difference between a New York Sour and a whiskey sour?
The New York sour and whiskey sour are almost the same. The only difference is New York sour is made with a float of dry wine to top it all off. Some New York sour includes egg whites to make their texture extra thick.
How do you garnish a New York Sour?
Garnish a New York sour with lime wedges. Top the cocktail with a freshly cut lemon slice and enjoy the drink.
How much alcohol is in the New York sour?
Around 15% alcohol is there in the New York sour cocktail drink, which is quite less and perfect for the Christmas celebration with family and friends.
This New York sour recipe is the perfect way to enjoy a classic cocktail with a twist. The addition of red wine to the bourbon whiskey gives it a beautiful color and a delicious flavor that is sure to please.
The featured image is taken from liquor.com
The recipe image is taken from bonappetit.com