What do you think when you hear the word Indian Food? Not going to lie but Indian cuisine is one of the best cuisines this world has got. In Indian food, you will find a perfect balance of ingredients and spices. Everything that Indians use in their food is either organic or natural. No added preservatives, no artificial ingredients, just pure flavors. This natural and pure fusion of Indian cruise is what makes it a more healthy and effective diet.
Talking about Indian cuisine today, let’s make one. We all know Indian food takes a good amount of time to prepare, as we have to start everything from scratch. But don’t worry, today I will be sharing a recipe of soup that can be made within minutes and is easy to make. This soup is called mulligatawny soup. The name sounds interesting.
Well, this name has some meaning. This recipe is south Indian and has its roots in the state called Tamil Nadu. the local language spoken there is called Tamil. The word mulligatawny in Tamil means chili, pepper and water. This together makes it a recipe which we commonly know as soup.
The ingredients used are healthy for our body and really effective in protecting our body from various diseases and infections. So, let’s start making this old, authentic and delicious Indian mulligatawny soup recipe and know the secret behind these Indian Cuisines that make them so famous worldwide.
Ingredients for Mulligatawny Soup
|Extra Virgin Olive Oil||1 tsp.|
|Bay Leaves||2 pc.|
|Yellow Curry Powder||4 tsp.|
|Boneless Chicken Thighs||1 ¼ pound|
|Chicken Stock||2 cups|
|Kosher Salt||1 ½ tsp.|
|Basmati Rice||¼ cup|
|Heavy Whipping Cream||¼ cup|
|Yogurt for Garnish||¼ cup|
|Minced Chives||1 tsp.|
Well, that’s an Indian Mulligatawny soup. You will have to get these ingredients to make this mulligatawny soup at home.
How Much Time Will it take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||45 Minutes||1 Hour|
To make this mulligatawny soup recipe, you have to invest just 1 hour from your daily schedule. This 1 hour will be the most effective time you would have ever spent after you taste this soup for the first time.
Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
- Take a thick bottom pot and heat butter and olive oil to keep it on high heat. Now add the onions, celery, and carrots to it and cook it for about 5 minutes until they get soft.
- After they are tender, add the curry powder and bay leaves and mix it well.
- Add the chicken to the pot and mix it well with the curry powder and the rest of the mixture in it. Add the chicken stock along with salt and keep it on low heat. Cover it and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the pot and allow them to cool. Make sure the chicken pieces are cooked enough. Take them out then only.
- Add the chopped apples and rice to the pot and keep the heat on high. After some time, return the heat to low and cover the pot. Let it cook for about 15 minutes or until you see the rice is prepared.
- Shred the chicken pieces and once the rice is cooked completely, add these chicken pieces to the pot. Heat it more for 5 minutes and add the cream.
Your mulligatawny soup is ready. Enjoy this soup with some yogurt and chives on the side and have a delightful taste of it.
Nutritional Breakdown of Mulligatawny Soup
The nutritional breakdown of this recipe is given in the table below. Look at it and know what the exact values are.
How to Make Mulligatawny Soup at Home | Video
Here is a video linked below that can help you with this recipe. Watch the full video to know the details and information regarding the whole mulligatawny soup recipe.
I hope you will like this Mulligatawny Soup and will try it at your home. Please tell us your experiences and taste of this recipe in the comments section below. We would like to see your valuable comments. Till then, stay safe and keep cooking.