Moussaka is a delicious recipe made with eggplants, beef, veggies, and spices. It includes the meat sauce that is incorporated between the eggplant and layered potatoes. This dish is similar to the Italian lasagna.
Moussaka is a Greek recipe that is famous not only in Greece but in various other parts of the European and American subcontinent. This recipe is made using the best quality ingredients that are delicious as well. You can either make a vegetarian moussaka by adding a layer of potatoes with some other veggies. The non-vegetarian version includes beef and chicken in it.
To make moussaka, fry eggplants and boil potatoes. In a pan, heat oil and cook beef and sausages in it. Add onions, garlic, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, and wine to it and cook it until it thickens. Then, prepare the bechamel sauce. In a baking dish, layer breadcrumbs, potatoes, eggplants, meat sauce, and bechamel sauce. Bake this dish for an hour.
This is just a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Gravlax– Gravlax is a Scandinavian cuisine made of salmon by fermenting it with vodka and spices. It is served as an appetizer.
2. Mushroom Risotto– The slow-cooked mushroom risotto is a creamy dish that has some unique flavors and fresh ingredients that make it suitable for everyone. It’s healthy and has all the necessary nutrients along with the goodness of mushrooms.
3. Sticky Glazed Asian Chicken– Sticky Asian Glazed Chicken is tender and juicy chicken coated in a sticky-sweet Asian sauce. This meal is ready in just thirty minutes and the flavor is awesome.
4. Emeril Lagasse Chicken Marsala– This recipe is very famous across the United States of America as it is one of the best recipes created by the renowned chef Emeril Lagasse.
- 2 large Eggplants
- 2 large Potatoes
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- ½ pound Ground Beef
- ½ pound Bulk Pork Sausage
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 16 ounces Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Tomato Paste
- ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon Allspice
- ½ teaspoon Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ cup Red Wine
- 1 Beaten Egg
- Bread Crumbs (for base)
For Bechamel Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Flour
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter
- 3 cups Whole Milk
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Keep the eggplant slices in a line on the paper towel. Season them with some salt and let them rest for about 30 minutes.
- Now, heat olive oil in a pan. Fry the seasoned eggplants in it. Cook them until they turn golden brown from both sides.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for about 5 minutes. Wash and rinse them with cold water afterwards.
- Now, heat some olive oil in a large skillet. Cook the ground beef in it until it turns brown. Cook sausages along with it. Add the onions and garlic to it. Cook them until they become tender for about 5-7 minutes.
- Then, add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf and wine to the skillet. Stir it to mix it well. Boil this mixture and reduce the heat once started boiling. Simmer it and cook it for about 30 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Now, let the sauce cool and add the beaten egg to it.
- To make the bechamel sauce, add some butter in a skillet and allow it to melt. Add some flour and whisk it well for about 2 minutes. Add the milk and whisk it properly avoiding the formation of any lumps.
- Add the parmesan cheese, salt, and nutmeg to this skillet. Whisk the sauce until it becomes thick. Once it’s done, take it off the heat and let it cool for about 15 minutes. Add the egg yolks to it and whisk them well with it.
- Grease a baking dish and make a layer of bread crumbs on the bottom of it. Arrange a layer of potatoes on the bottom. Place the eggplants with some sauce on it. Then, completely fill it with the meat sauce that we prepared. Add eggplants on the top of the meat sauce along with some bechamel sauce.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350oF and let this dish bake for about 1 hour.
- Take the dish out of the oven and let it rest for about 15 minutes before you start serving. Let the liquid at the bottom get absorbed.