Ever tasted a Greek recipe? Greeks were known for their authentic ingredients and flavors. Greek dishes are considered to be one of the oldest ones and you can’t even compare the taste of it with any other cuisines available. They are known for their rich ingredients and those flavors that just make you feel out of this world. Today you will get a chance to visit Greece by exploring the dish that I will be sharing with you.
The Greek recipe that I am talking about is really famous not only in Greece but in various other parts of the European and American subcontinent. This recipe goes by the name of moussaka. This moussaka is an emotion that directly connects you with Greece without even knowing about that region. This preparation is made using the best quality ingredients that are delicious as well. You can either make Vegetarian moussaka by just adding a layer of potatoes with some other veggies or the other version that includes Beef and chicken in it.
This recipe is a love that you can’t express in words. It includes the meat sauce that is incorporated between the eggplant and the layered potatoes. This dish is just like lasagna from Italy but having a little bit of change in taste and of course the flavors. You are going to love it.
So, I don’t think there is any reason for us to wait. Let’s get into it and make this moussaka at home. Get ready and read the below-written instructions carefully to make the best ever moussaka recipe.
Ingredients for Moussaka
|Olive Oil||2 tsp.|
|Ground Beef||½ pound|
|Bulk pork Sausage||½ Pound|
|Crushed Tomatoes||16 oz.|
|Tomato Paste||2 tsp.|
|Bay Leaf||1 pc.|
|Red Wine||½ cup|
|Egg Beaten||1 Pc.|
|Bread crumbs||For base|
For Bechamel Sauce:
|Unsalted Butter||½ cup|
|Whole Milk||3 cups|
|Ground Nutmeg||½ tsp.|
|Parmesan Cheese||½ cup|
|Egg Yolks||2 pc.|
The ingredients listed in the tables above are the one’s that you need to have while making this moussaka. I know the list is a little bit long but that’s what makes this recipe different from others. Grab them and get ready for a delicious treat.
How Much Time Will it Take?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|1 Hour||1 Hour 30 Minutes||2 Hours 10 Minutes|
Well, after looking at the table above, you might get surprised or rather shocked. But this is what a delicious recipe is all about. You have to invest in something to get the best results. And in this case, time is the one thing that you need to spend on this recipe.
Now is the time of the main step that you all were waiting for. After this step, you will be able to make this moussaka at home without any confusion. So, let’s start the recipe and see how it’s made. You will love it. Just keep the patience and enjoy this journey.
- Keep the eggplant slices in a line on the paper towel and season them with some salt and let them rest for about 30 minutes.
- Now in a skillet kept on high heat, pour some olive oil and fry the eggplants that you have kept on the towel. Cook them until golden brown from both sides. Remove excess oil by placing them on tissues or paper towels.
- Boil the potatoes in a pot having salted water in it. Boil them for about 5 minutes and see if they are tender or not. Wash and rinse them with cold water afterward.
- Now take a large skillet and add some olive oil to it and after it is hot enough, cook the ground beef until turns brown. Cook sausages along with it. Add the onions and garlic and cook them until tender for about 5-7 minutes.
- Introduce the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste along with bay leaf and wine. Stir it so that it mixes well. Boil this mix and reduce the heat once started boiling, simmer and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Cook this mixture until all the liquid is absorbed. Now let the sauce cool and add the beaten egg to it.
- Now, to make the bechamel sauce, in a skillet add some butter and allow it to melt. Add some flour and whisk it well for about 2 minutes. Now add the milk and whisk it properly avoiding the formation of any lumps.
- Add the parmesan cheese to this whisked mix along with salt and nutmeg whisk the sauce until it becomes thicker. And once it’s done, take it off the heat and let it cool for about 15 minutes. Add the egg yolks and whisk them well with it.
- Grease a baking dish and make a layer of bread crumbs on the bottom of it. Arrange a layer of potatoes on the bottom and then place the eggplants with some sauce on it, and then completely fill it with the meat sauce that we prepared. Add eggplants on the top of the meat sauce along with some bechamel sauce.
- Meanwhile, let your oven preheat to about 350F and let this dish bake for about 1 hour.
- Take the dish out of the oven and let it rest for about 15 minutes before you start serving. Let the liquid at the bottom get absorbed.
And finally, your Moussaka is ready. You can have this delicious eggplant Mousaka recipe done in 2 hours but all the wait is worth it. This will be a perfect meal for all your gatherings and parties and can be a good menu for your next dinner.
Nutritional Breakdown of Moussaka
To know the nutritional details of this recipe, have a look down below and see what you are consuming while eating this meal.
How to Make Moussaka at Home | Video
Here is a video of this recipe that I think will be very useful for you guys to make this Moussaka at home. It will show you in detail how you can make it at home.
So what do you think about this recipe? Tell me if you know something more about this recipe and I will love to add it. Do share this recipe with your friends and let us know their reviews and experiences as well, in the comments section below.