Cake pops are a lovely treat for all the good reasons. They are easy to eat and a delicious dessert. The best part about them is that they are customizable. So, why not make monster cake pops this Halloween?
Monster cake pops are basically regular cake pops customized as monsters. You can make colorful and flavorsome cake pops for Halloween this year. If you haven’t had them before then let me tell you that it’s biting into a small piece of cake. All you have to do is make a cake, reduce it to crumbs, incorporate buttercream into it, and make pops out of it.
And then comes the best part of decorating them into monsters. The result is so visually appealing that these cake pops turn out to be crowd-pleasers. And the taste is of course delectable! Therefore, to make your Halloween table a lot fancier this year, I’ve got a lip-smacking recipe for you to try.
In the article below, you will find a detailed recipe for monster cake pops. We will begin by making a cake and then turning them into pops! Now, you always have the option to just use store-bought cake or cake mix to make these pops. But for those of you who love baking, I’m sure you would want to know the recipe of the cake too. So, let’s dive into this delectable recipe and make a Halloween to remember!
Other Halloween Recipes That You Can Try
- Lolly Pop Ghosts
- Nutter Butter Boos
- Ghostbuster Birthday Cake
- Hostess Twinkies
- Marshmallow Pops
- Marshmallow Toppers
- Ghostbuster Cocktail
- Ghostbuster Cookies
- Hocus Pocus Cookies
- Crockpot Candy Crack
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Monster Cake Pops?
- Oven – You will need an oven to bake the cake.
- Microwave or double boiler – A microwave or double boiler will help you melt the candy melts.
- 9’’ Cake Pan – Cake pan (of any shape) will be required to bake the cake.
- Spatula – A spatula will help you to mix ingredients.
- Bowls – Bowls will be required to fold in cake batter ingredients.
- Parchment Paper- A parchment paper or baking sheet will be used to rest the cake pops.
- Egg beater or standing mixer – An egg beater or standing mixer will help you to prepare the buttercream.
- Candy sticks – Candy sticks will be used to insert in the cake pops.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Monster Cake Pops?
|Preparation Time||Baking Time||Resting Time||Total Time|
|20 mins.||30 mins.||30 mins.||2 hrs.|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Monster Cake Pops?
For The Cake
- Water – You will require 1/2 cup water to prepare the cake batter.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – Chocolate chips are integral to the cake batter. They will provide a delicious chocolate flavor.
- Egg – Egg will help to bind the batter.
- Vegetable Oil – This recipe calls for 1/4 cup of vegetable oil to provide the moisture content.
- Granulated Sugar – Sugar will bring the desired sweet element to your cake. We will 1 cup of granulated sugar in the recipe.
- Milk – Just like water and vegetable oil, milk will also add moisture to the cake and flavor.
- Baking Cocoa – Cocoa imparts a rich chocolate flavor and color to the cake.
Flour – Flour makes the cake structure.
- Baking Soda– Baking soda is a leavening agent. It will help your cake to rise and make it fluffy.
- Butter – To make buttercream you will use unsalted butter which will make the base of the buttercream and also add a flavor to it.
- Powdered Sugar – Sugar is an important ingredient that adds sweetness to the buttercream. We will require powdered sugar so that it is incorporated easily into the buttercream.
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla extract is used to add vanilla flavor to the buttercream.
- Heavy Cream – Heavy cream helps to make the frosting light, fluffy and creamy.
- Cocoa Powder – To make buttercream you will require unsweetened cocoa powder to add color and a rich chocolate flavor.
For Cake Pop
- Candy Melts – Candy melts in assorted colors will help you to decorate the cake pops in the fanciest way possible.
- Royal Icing – You can get some readymade eyes from a baking supply store to decorate your cake pops. Or you can carve out the eyes of a monster by dipping its end into chocolate.
- Sprinkles- You can make your monster cake pop all the more good by sprinkling some colorful sprinkles.
Steps To Make Cake For The Monster Cake Pops
1. Make The Batter
Line a 9″ round cake pan with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 350F. Combine boiling water and semi-sweet chocolate in a small bowl until the chocolate has melted. Then in a large bowl, beat the egg until it turns light and frothy. Now add the oil and continue beating until the two are well combined.
Whisk in the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and powder, and then mix the chocolate/milk mixture. Pour the batter into your lined cake pan. Bake the batter for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
2. Prepare The Buttercream
While the cake cools, beat butter for a few minutes. Add powdered sugar while beating the butter on a low speed until the sugar is incorporated into the butter properly. You can now add vanilla extract, heavy cream, and cocoa powder by increasing the beating speed to medium for another two-three minutes. Stop beating the mix once the buttercream becomes light and fluffy.
3. Ready To Crumble The Cake!
To make the cake pops, crumble the cake in a large bowl and add a few scoops of buttercream frosting. Begin mixing and add more frosting as needed until the cake begins to clump. But make sure that you don’t have to make it overly sticky. Once the buttercream is mixed with cake crumbles, roll your cake mix into quarter size balls and place them on a tray line with parchment paper.
In a double boiler or microwave, melt the desired color of candy melts for your base coating. Dip the end of your lollipop sticks and insert it half way into each cake ball. Now set the tray with the cake pops in the freezer to firm up for 20 minutes.
4. Make Halloween Special Cake Pops
Once the stick is completely set in the cake pops, dip them into the chocolate and turn them to coat all the way round. Make sure you do this step one cake pop at a time. Allow any excess chocolate to drip off and set them aside to dry out. You can take a toothpick and dip it in white or dark chocolate candy melts to make the eyes.
Or else you can also stick royal icing ready-made eyes and sprinkles onto the cake pops before the chocolate dries.
|Calories||182 ( 1 Cake pop) kcal|
|Saturated Fat||4.2 g|
How Will The Monster Cake Pops Look And Taste?
Monster cake pops are so appealing to look at that you might not want to eat them. They are colorful and a fun bite-size dessert to add to your Halloween table. The best part is that you can decorate them in any color you like. And, of course, when you bite into them, you will know how delicious they are.
If you want to skip baking a cake, you can always purchase muffins, cake, or a cake mix in your desired flavor from outside and turn them into cake pops. There are many options to make cake pop, but the outcome is absolutely delicious! So, go ahead and prepare your mini monster for a fun time.
Monster Cake Pops Recipe
- 1 Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 2 oz Baking Cocoa
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar (sifted)
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 8 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a 9″ round cake pan with parchment.
- In a bowl, combine boiling water and semi-sweet chocolate and stir the mixture until the chocolate has melted.
- Beat the egg until light and frothy in a large bowl.
- Add the oil and continue beating until the two have completely combined.
- Whisk in the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and powder, and the chocolate/milk mixture.
- Pour the batter into your lined cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- To make the cake pops, crumble the cake into a large bowl.
- Prepare your buttercream by beating butter and powdered sugar together. Add vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and heavy cream.
- Beat until everything is combined well and the buttercream looks fluffy and light.
- Add a few scoops of buttercream and begin mixing. You can keep adding more as needed until the cake begins to clump, but isn’t overly sticky to the touch.
- Roll your cake mix into quarter size balls and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- In a double boiler, melt the color of candy melts of the desired base color you want of your monster cake pops.
- Dip the end of your lollipop sticks into the melted chocolate and insert it half way into each cake ball.
- Line the cake pops on a tray with parchment paper into the freezer to firm up for a few minutes.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, remove the cake pops from the freezer.
- Dip the cake pops into the chocolate, turn to coat all the way around.
- Allow any excess chocolate to drip off of the pops before setting them aside.
- Drop your royal icing eyes and sprinkles onto the cake pops before the chocolate dries.
- Repeat the process on all cake pops.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long will cake pops stay fresh?
Cake pops can sit in your refrigerator for up to one week or freezer for up to one month.
Why did my cake pops fall off the stick?
Going overboard with buttercream can cause your cake balls to fall off the sticks. The best rule of thumb is to start out with a small amount of buttercream and slowly add more until your mix reaches the consistency of clay.
What is the best chocolate to melt for cake pops?
You can use candy melts or semi-sweet chocolate to make cake pops.
How do you melt white chocolate chips for cake pops?
Place a microwave-safe bowl filled with white chocolate in the microwave and heat it in 30-second intervals. After each time, remove the bowl and stir the chocolate. Continue the process until you achieve a smooth consistency.
What is a good substitute for Candy Melts?
If you need a candy melt substitute, for most applications compound chocolate or almond bark will work best.
Can I use Hershey kisses as melting chocolate?
You can use Hershey kisses as a substitute for chocolate chips, but keep in mind, Hershey kisses melt at a higher temperature. Expect to cook them for 30 seconds at 108 degrees Fahrenheit to melt them properly. Don’t forget to give it a mix in intervals, otherwise you will end up with burnt chocolate.
Try this recipe now and tell me in the comment section below if you liked it. You can also try our other Halloween recipes.