I still remember the time I visited Bengal, it was a marvellous experience. Everything there was so nice- The Weather, The People, The Food, and The places we visited too. But the thing that I liked the most was the food, especially one food item called Mochar Ghonto.
Mochar Ghonto, also known as Kolar Mocha and Banana Flower Sabzi is a healthy, rich in iron and traditional Bengali food item. This dish brings you the taste of our land; a subtle yet fiery cuisine, rich and traditional in its cores; the Bangla cuisine.
The crop of the land; Mocha or banana, is a very close part of their culture. They not only cook it but also eat in its leaves, every part of it is important to them.
Let’s create one from the gift of mother earth and, cherish the wonderful taste by following the Bengali Mochar Ghonto recipe. There are other main course recipes on our blog as well that you should also check.
1. Jambalaya– Jambalaya, this word means a mixture of rice with some non-vegan food. You can either include chicken, shrimps and sausages. All of these things can be included in Jambalaya.
2. Green Eggplant Curry– This recipe is quite delicious and can be made very easily at home. The ingredients used are quite healthy, which makes this dish a good reason to eat.
3. Pork Lo Mein– Lo mein is a noodle dish that often is confused with chow mein, and many Chinese restaurants further the confusion by using the two names interchangeably.
4. Veal Marsala– Chicken (Veal) Marsala is an Italian-American dish made from chicken breast and marsala wine. It dates its origin back to the 19th century and is a variation of traditional Italian Scaloppine dishes.
Ingredients forMochar Ghonto Recipe
|Banana bark (Kolar Mocha) cut in small pieces||1 kg|
|Vegetable oil||2 tbsp|
|Onion paste||1 tbsp|
|Cumin paste||½ tsp|
|Bay leaves||2 units|
|Red chilli powder||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||2 tsp|
|Cinnamon sticks||2-3 units|
|Green chillies||4-5 units|
How much time it will take?
|15 minutes||25 minutes||40 minutes|
Mochar Ghonto Recipe | Make Kolar Mocha at Home
- Peel the skin of the banana bark. Take out the thin thread-like structure from each of the flower petals ( banana flowers-mocha).
- Now boil the banana flowers in water. Grind the boiled flowers into a soft paste.
- Heat a frying pan with oil and add the onion and cumin pastes, bay leaves, red chilli and turmeric powders, salt and cinnamon sticks.
- Stir well and add the banana bark paste. Stir and mix well by adding 1/2 cup of water.
- Put the lid on and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
- Take the lid off every now and then, and stir and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Sprinkle the green chillies and cook until the water dries up and the oil starts to float and simmer on top.
- Serve hot.
Savor the dish with amazing new taste on your tongue and feel the extremism of change in your taste and life. it is best served with plain white rice but chapatti also goes good with it. Pull up your socks to cook the new in your life.
Nutritional Information for Mochar Ghonto Recipe