If you are a conventional beer drinker, then the milk stouts would surely be your favorite. I have brewed milk stouts many a times at my home and even treated my non- brewing friends with it. I was told about milk stouts by my grandfather who used to make them on his own. When I grew up, he shared the recipe with me and I learnt to brew stouts in different ways.
So, in this article I will tell you about the milk stouts recipe and different ways to make it.
Milk stouts or cream stouts are rich, chocolate roasted essences with pints of coffee and caramel present in it. There is only a subtle difference between milk stout and traditional dry stouts. The milk sugar balances the roasted bitterness present in stouts and is a smooth version of it.
But there are many other tea recipes that we’ve covered in our blog. You should definitely check them as well.
1. Caribou Lou– This is a must-try cocktail because it is sweeter than the other cocktails. This cocktail was first made by Tech N9ne who framed the recipe in the form of a song.
2. Eggnog– Have you ever imagined a drink with egg in it? If no, then this eggnog recipe is just for you. Don’t you worry about the taste; it is one of the most delicious and healthiest drinks you would have ever tasted in your entire life.
3. Moose Milk– Moose Milk is a creamy alcoholic beverage that can be served both ways, either warm or cold. The best part about this cocktail is that it is made with 5 main ingredients.
4. Brooklyn Egg Cream– It is a sweet, light and bubbly drink. You can enjoy this drink anytime. Many of you must be confused by its name; wondering does this drink comprises an egg as one of its ingredients. Well, no. It is just the name given to the drink because of the foam it has.
Ingredients required for Milk Stout Recipe
|Crystal Malt||8 oz (0.22kg)|
|Roasted black un malted barley||6 oz (0.17kg)|
|7 AAU Kent Goldings hops||1.4oz / 40 g of 5% alpha acids|
|London Ale yeast||Wyeast 1028|
|Lactose ( boiled for 10 minutes, added at kegging)||12 oz.|
|All grain||5 gallons/19 litre|
Milk Stout Recipe
- Mash the grains, place them in grain bag and steep them 2.5 gallons(9.5 l) of 170 degree F (77 degree C). Strike temperature should be 152 degree F or 67 degree C .
- Wait for conversion for 2 hours.
- Raise the temperature to 168 degree F or 76 degree C for mashout.
- Hold 10 minutes .
- Sparge with about 5 gallons of water. Boil it for 1.5 hours.
- Add hops at 45 minutes.
- Ferment at 65 degree F or 18 degree C rack to secondary then let it age for several weeks.
- Store or keg the beer with lactose.
Now that you know how to brew a milk stout or sweet stout, you should know about different varieties of it. Some of the famous ones are Chocolate Milk Stout , Coffee Milk Stout, Imperial Milk Stout Oatmeal Milk Stout and Peanut butter Milk Stout.
Let’s learn about these recipes step by step.
1.Chocolate Milk Stout Recipe
This beer is full of chocolate flavour and you can enjoy it in winter time.
Ingredients used in Chocolate Milk Stout Recipe
|For Hops||1 oz Liberty @40 minutes|
|OG||1 : 099|
|Yeast Pitch Rate||.79M cells/ml|
|Fermentation temperature||67 F allowed to free rise to 72 F|
How much time will it take ?
It might take 2 to 3 weeks to make a tasty chocolate milk stout.
Chocolate Milk Stout Recipe :
- Mash grains @ 160F for 60 minutes.
- Soak 4 oz of cocoa nibs in 6 oz of Vodka in a mason jar for one week.
- After primary fermentation, add the coca nibs and vodka to the beer and let it age for 2 – 3 weeks.
- Your roasty beer with chocolate would be ready after lapse of several weeks
Nutritional value of Chocolate Milk Stout Recipe
2. Coffee Milk Stout Recipe
This recipe is heavy on the chocolate and light on the roast. You will get a very smooth beer with the addition of cold infused coffee which would be easy and tasty to drink.
Ingredients used in Coffee Milk Stout Recipe :
|Pale Malt||5 kg|
|Chocolate Malt||650 g|
|Black (patent) Malt||150 g|
|Pacific Jade Hops||18 g|
|Large plunger of ground coffee||1|
|Irish Moss(optional)||1 teaspoon|
|Mangrove Jack’s M15 Empire Ale Yeast||2 packets|
|OG||1.058 – 1.065|
|ABV||Approx 6.1 %|
Coffee Milk Stout Recipe
- Mash the grains at 68 degree C in 18 L of water.
- Sparge and bring to a boil. Just as it begins to boil, add lactose .
- Boil for 90 minutes adding Pacific Jade Hops at 60 minutes.
- After 15 minutes into boiling, add Irish Moss.
- Immediately cool your mort to 20 degree C and pitch 2 packets of M15 Ale Yeast.
- Ferment at 18 degree C for 10 days.
- Once active fermentation is complete , transfer to a second fermenter and add the cold infused coffee. ( Place 10 headed tbsp of plunger ground coffee filled with cold water and leave it overnight to infuse. Do this after 1 week of fermentation.)
- Leave to blend in with the beer for 7 days.
- Bottle or keg as usual.
How much time will it take ?
It usually takes around 2 to 3 weeks.
Nutritional Facts of Coffee Milk Stout Recipe
3. Imperial Milk Stout Recipe
Vanilla and milk stout make a good pair for a slightly sweet beer.
Ingredients required for Imperial Milk Stout Recipe
|Crisp Maris Otter||12 lb (63.6%)|
|Flaked barley||3 lb ( 15.9 %)|
|Crisp crystal 60||6 oz (2.0%)|
|Crisp Crystal 120||8 oz (2.6%)|
|Special B – Caramel Malt||8 oz ( 2.6%)|
|Crisp chocolate malt||12 oz (4.0%)|
|Crisp Pale chocolate malt||12 oz (4.0%)|
|Crisp Roasted barley||8 oz (2.6%)|
|Magnum(12.5%)added during boil, boiled 60 mins||0.75 oz (42.9%)|
|Irish Moss added during boil, boiled 15 mins||1 ea|
|Cascade leaf (5.7%) added during boil boiled 10 mins||1 oz(57.1%)|
|Lactose||8 oz (2.6%)|
|Wyeast nutrient added during boil, boiled 10 mins||0.75 tsp|
|Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale 1200 ml||1 each|
|Madagascar Vanilla Beans split and soaked in 6 oz high quality bourbon added dry to secondary fermenter||3 each|
|Epsom salts||2 g|
|Calcium chloride||4.0 g|
|Baking soda||4.0 g|
|Boil length||60 minutes|
How much time will it take ?
For a perfect beer, a month’s time would be sufficient for ageing it.
Imperial Milk Stout Recipe
- Add all the salts to grist before mashing in.
- Allow 60 minute saccharification rest at 152 degree F and 10 minute mash out rest at 170 degree F.
- Sparge at 170 degree F and collect sufficient pre runnings to hit pre boil volumes.
- Chill wort to 64 degree F and pitch yeast slurry.
- After setting temperature controller to 66 degree F, let it rise to that temperature.
- Ferment at 66 -68 degree F until beer is 2 – 6 points from terminal gravity then raise temperature to 72 degree F for 2 days.
- Chill fermenter to 34%. Rack beer off yeast into clean container with bourbon soaked vanilla beans .
- Age 1 month on vanilla before packaging.
Nutritional information of Imperial Milk Stout Recipe
4. Oatmeal Milk Stout Recipe
Oatmeal stout is very popular among homebrewers. If the very thought of oatmeal trickles your nostrils, then check out the following recipe for Oatmeal Milk Stout.
Ingredients required for Oatmeal Milk Stout Recipe
|Dry malt extract||6 lbs amber|
|Crystal malt, 60 degree Lovibond||1 lb|
|American six row pale ale melt||1.5 lb|
|Chocolate malt||0.5 lb|
|Roasted barley||0.5 lb|
|Irish moss, for 15 min||1/2 tsp|
|Fuggles hop pellets (4.2% alpha acids)||2 oz|
|Irish ale yeast||Wyeast 1084|
How much time will it take?
Ideally, 2 or 3 weeks time is sufficient to get a perfect beer.
Oatmeal Milk Stout Recipe
- The grains are mashed prior to the addition of the dry malt extract.
- Before a day or two of brewing , prepare a yeast starter .
- Crush the speciality grains and malt. Mix them with the oats in a coarse, nylon bag. Seal the nylon bag .
- Heat 3 gallons of water to 155 degree F in a pot with a lid and add the bag of grains . Keep this pot covered , maintaining a temperature between 150 degree and 158 degree F for 1 hour to convert the starch.
- This can be done, by placing the entire pot in an oven preheated to 150 degree F.
- Remove the grain bag and pour rinse water over it and into the pot so it rinses some of the residual sugars from the grains .
- In a separate pot, boil 3 gallons of water for 15 minutes.
- Add two of these gallons to a clean and sanitised fermenter.
- Keep the other gallon of water covered , in reserve.
- Bring the wort to a boil and slowly but vigorously mix in the dry malt extract. Boil the wort vigorously for 15 minutes and add the hops. Boil for additional 30 minutes.
- Add Irish moss and boil for 15 minutes. Total time for boiling is 60 minutes. Cool the wort to the room temperature within 30 minutes of end of boiling.
- Siphon the wort off of the trub into the fermenter adding the reserved water as necessary to bring the final wort volume to 5.5 gallons.
- Aerate the wort for 15 minutes. Mix the yeast starter into the wort.
- Seal the fermenter with an air lock and ferment until completion.
Nutritional information of Oatmeal Milk Stout Recipe
5. Peanut Butter Milk Stout Recipe
A peanut butter is like a liquid gold and is quite mouth watering.. Check out the following recipe for getting a barely sweet and peanut intense flavoured milk stout recipe.
Ingredients required for Peanut butter Milk Stout Recipe
|Pale Maris Otter Malt||7 lb|
|Flaked barley||1 lb|
|Caramel 80L||12 oz|
|Carafa Type 3 Malt||8 oz|
|Chocolate Malt||8 oz|
|Lactose( boil for5 minutes)||1 lb|
|Cocoa powder (boil for 5 mins)||4 oz|
|Cocoa Nibs (secondary fermentation)||4 oz|
|Natural peanut butter extract||4 oz|
East Kent Golding ( 60 min)
|Target ABV||4.5 %|
|Mash Temp||152 degree|
|Mash time||60 min|
|Boil Time||60 min|
|Primary fermentation temperature||62 – 68 degree|
|Secondary fermentation temperature||68 degree|
How much time will it take ?
Secondary fermentation is for 14 days so 3 to 4 weeks is ideal time for getting a good beer.
Peanut butter Milk Stout Recipe
- You can add unsweetened cocoa powder to the boil or cocoa nibs to the secondary fermenter.
- On day 14 or when you find obvious signs of active fermentation being finished and stabilised for at least 3 days, the beer should be racked into the secondary fermenter .
- Now add 4 oz of the liquid peanut butter extract .
- Before packaging, allow the beer to beer to remain in secondary fermenter for 14 days.
- Lactose addition can be cut if you don’t want as much sweetness.
- Also soak the cocoa nibs in a few ounces of flavorless vodka for at least 5 days before adding toms secondary.
Nutritional information of Peanut butter Milk Stout Recipe
|Serving size||12 fl oz|