Did you know Mexican Rice, a side dish is also known as Spanish Rice dish? It’s even more strange to note that it is not a popular dish in Spain! Mexican rice also goes by the name red rice (in Mexico), Arroz Rojo (in Spain) or Istanbolea Police (in Iran and Persian Cuisine).
My mother made Mexican Rice for me when I was in High school. I liked it instantly. Since I had to move out for college I learnt the Mexican Rice Recipe from her. She even exclaimed that I made it much better than her. I was thrilled. I just love cooking it whenever I want to enjoy fully and even treat my friends with it as well.
So if you too want to make this best ever Mexican Rice Recipe on your own, you’ve come at the right place. Without further ado, let’s check out the given Mexican Rice Recipe.
Ingredients Required for Mexican Rice Recipe
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 tbsp|
|Carrots (peeled and diced)||2|
|Small green bell pepper (diced)||1|
|Small onion (chopped)||1|
|Thinly sliced garlic||3|
|Long grain rice (rinsed and drained)||2 cups|
|Tomato paste||1 tbsp|
|Low sodium chicken broth||2 1/2 cups|
|Fire-roasted diced tomatoes (drained)||1(14 ounce) oz can|
|Tomato sauce||1(8 oz) can|
|Ground cumin||3/4 teaspoons|
|Dried oregano||1/2 teaspoons|
|Chopped cilantro||1/4 cups|
Note: Use kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper for seasoning.
How much time will it take?
|Preparation time||Cooking time||Total time|
|15 minutes||30 minutes||45 minutes|
Mexican Rice Recipe
- Take a large skillet.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Put carrots, bell paper, onion and garlic.
- Cook with frequent stirring for about 5 minutes. After this onions would become translucent.
- Now, add rice and tomato paste.
- Cook with frequent stirring for 2-3 minutes until grains are toasted.
- Now, add broth, diced potatoes and tomato sauce into it. Cumin, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper are to be used for seasoning.
- Let it boil. Then, cover the skillet. The heat is to be reduced to low.
- Let it simmer until rice is cooked thoroughly with the liquid absorbed along with occasional stirring. It would take about 17 minutes.
- Pour in cilantro and stir, then serve.
Nutritional Information of Mexican Rice Recipe
|Total fats||11 g|
|Saturated fats||1.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||32 g|
|Dietary fiber||0.6 g|