Melba sauce is an awesome add-on for waffles, ice cream, and pancakes. It is a fruit sauce prepared using raspberries, red currant jelly, and cornstarch.
Melba sauce is made by boiling raspberry puree, red currant jelly, sugar, and cornstarch with water in a saucepan for four minutes until it is cooked. When it is ready, pour in the airtight jar to use the sauce anytime.
You can also use wheat starch in the recipe. If you don’t have wheat starch, here are a few wheat starch substitutes.
You can also use this sauce in milkshakes and Italian sodas. Read out the melba sauce recipe to make it at home within 20 minutes.
If you are not a huge fan of currants, then you can got through this list of currant substitutes to make raspberry melba sauce. But, before that, check out the other sauce recipes as well.
The full detailed recipe for melba sauce is mentioned below. Follow the article to know more about equipment, ingredients, and nutritional information to make the perfect melba sauce.
Other Sauce Recipes That You Can Try
- Raisin Sauce Recipe
- Wasabi Aiole Recipe
- Honey French Dressing Recipe
- Meuniere Sauce Recipe
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Dip Recipe
- Parsley Sauce Recipe
- Horseradish Sauce Recipe
- Fish Sauce Recipe
- Spicy Pudina Chutney Recipe
- Apple Chutney Recipe
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Melba Sauce?
- Saucepan – Prepare the sauce in a saucepan until the sauce becomes thick and clear.
- Spoon – Stir the ingredients well with a spoon until fully combined.
- Mesh Strainer – Strain off the pulp from the pan using a mesh strainer.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Melba Sauce?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||20 Minutes||25 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Melba Sauce?
- Raspberry Puree – Use a quarter of a pint of a raspberry puree. It adds a sweet and tart taste to the sauce.
- Red Currant Jelly – Add 4 tablespoons of red currant jelly. It is a top-rate jelly used for making sauces. It adds color and jelly flavors to the melba sauce.
- Corn Starch – The corn starch adds glossy shine and thick consistency to the sauce. Use a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with cold water.
- Sugar – Sugar will add sweetness and mellow down the bitter flavors.
Steps To Make Melba Sauce
1. Sauce Concoction
Take a saucepan to make melba sauce. Add sugar, raspberry puree, and red currant jelly.
Blend all together until it is fully combined. When you see it boiling, add the mixture of cornstarch and water.
Then, continue cooking and stirring until the sauce becomes thick and clear.
2. Strain Off
You can strain off the melba sauce by using a mesh strainer. However, if you don’t wish to strain off the pulp, you can straight away pour it into a glass jar.
Slather this delicious sauce over the desserts, pancakes, or waffles once it is ready.
How Will The Melba Sauce Look And Taste Like?
Melba sauce is thick and deliciously sweetened. This sauce is a combination of fresh raspberry puree, red currant jelly, cornstarch, and sugar. You can use this sauce for dessert or sundaes toppings.
The name Melba comes from the toppings of peach melba, an Australian dish. The sauce is sweet, delish, and flavorful. It has a thick consistency and berry flavor.
Melba Sauce Recipe
- Mesh Strainer
- 1 cup Raspberry Puree
- ½ cup Red Currant Jelly
- ¼ teaspoon Corn Starch
- ¼ cup Sugar
- Take a saucepan, add sugar, raspberry puree, and red currant jelly.
- Simmer and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- After that add a teaspoon of cornstarch mixed with cold water.
- Keep stirring while it simmers and ensure the jelly gets melted, sugar gets dissolved and the mixture is tender.
- In order to extract its juice, use a mesh strainer allowing the juice to escape into a glass measuring cup as well as throw away seeds and pulp.
- Store it in an airtight jar and cool it down.
- Serve it as a dessert toppings
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why it is called Melba sauce?
Let me shed some light on the facts. The name Melba comes from the toppings of peach melba, an Australian dish. The sauce is sweet, delish, and flavorful. It has a thick consistency and berry flavor.
What is raspberry sauce made of?
Created famous French chef Auguste Escoffier for Dame Nellie Melba, this sauce is a combination of puréed, strained fresh raspberries, red currant jelly, sugar and cornstarch.
What does this sauce taste like?
The resulting Melba sauce will be thick and have a strong berry flavor that is the perfect accompaniment for many different desserts. Berries other than raspberry can also easily be used, following the same method and technique to create a slightly different sauce.
What does the word Melba mean?
Melba is a dessert made originally from peach (now also other fruits), ice cream, and raspberry.
So now what are you waiting for? Go and make this awesome melba sauce at your home. Don’t forget to leave your valuable reviews in the comment section below.