A meatball is ground meat rolled into a small ball, along with other ingredients, usually breadcrumbs. Cooking meatballs with breadcrumbs is very common. But today, I am going to share a recipe for making meatballs without breadcrumbs recipe, which are flavorful and super moist.
To make meatballs without breadcrumbs, add ground beef, ground lamb, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, salt, pepper and egg in a bowl. Gently mix until well combined. Then, shape into meatballs.
Place them in a lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. But, if you want fried meatballs, then heat some oil in a skillet and fry the meatballs until browned.
This recipe will work for meatballs made of ground pork, ground beef, ground Turkey, and lamb. But, I personally love mixing ground beef and ground lamb. So, you can try doing this to get a flavorful meatballs.
In this article, I have mentioned a detailed recipe for making meatballs and sauce as well. So, the only thing you have to do is, scroll down to the recipe card and check out step-by-step instructions. But before you read out the entire recipe, check out other dishes from the starters section of our blog.
What's In The Post
Other Starters Recipes That You Can Try
- Meatloaf Sliders Recipe
- Cowboy Soup Recipe
- Watercress Soup Recipe
- Lemongrass Ginger Soup Recipe
- Matzo Ball Soup Recipe
- Chicken Poppers Recipe
- Oyster Roast Recipe
- Chicken Poppers Recipe
- Vegetable Nuggets Recipe
- Vegan Stuffing Recipe
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Meatballs Without Breadcrumbs?
- Bowl – Mix all the ingredients in the bowl.
- Skillet – Fry meatballs in the heavy skillet.
- Spatula – Use spatula to combine ingredients.
- Saucepan – In a saucepan, make a spicy and flavorful sauce for meatballs.
- Oven – Bake meatballs in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Baking Sheet – Place meatballs on the baking sheet to bake them.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Meatballs Without Breadcrumbs?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||35 Minutes||45 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Meatballs Without Breadcrumbs?
- Ground Beef – Ground beef is the main ingredient for your meatballs, providing lots of flavor and protein too.
- Ground Lamb – Adding ground lamb to your meatball mix is a great way to get a slightly gamey, rich flavor to your meatballs.
- Olive Oil – Adding a small amount of olive oil to your meatball mix can help keep the meatballs moist and tender.
- Egg – Eggs are a common binder ingredient used in meatball. It helps to hold the meat together, and create a nice, tender texture.
- Vegetable Oil – Fry meatballs on a high heat using vegetable oil. This oil has a high smoke point so you get nice crispy balls.
- Unsweetened Ketchup – Adding unsweetened ketchup to your meatball mix can help enhance the flavor and provide a bit of tanginess.
- Pure Maple Syrup – Pure maple syrup can add a touch of sweetness and depth to your meatballs.
- Parmesan Cheese – Parmesan cheese adds a nice, nutty flavor to your meatballs, as well as a bit of saltiness.
- Onion Powder – Onion powder provides a savory, slightly sweet flavor to your meatballs.
- Garlic Clove – For pungent, and spicy flavors, add garlic clove.
- Garlic Powder – Garlic powder adds a savory, and slightly spicy flavor.
- Cayenne Pepper – Adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to your meatball mix can help provide a bit of heat and depth of flavor.
- Salt – Salt is an essential ingredient to enhance the flavor of overall dish.
- Black Pepper – Get some heat in the dish with black pepper.
Steps To Make Meatballs Without Breadcrumbs
1. Meatball Preparations
In a large bowl, mix the ground beef and lamb together using your hands. Then add in the onion powder, garlic powder, egg, cheese, salt, and pepper. Gently mix until well combined.
Grease your hands with olive oil, and shape the meatball mixture into equal sized meatballs, about 1¼ inches each.
2. Bake Meatballs
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the meatballs on a lined baking sheet and bake for twenty minutes until perfectly cooked.
3. For Frying
While the meatballs are baking, heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the meatballs are cooked in the oven, transfer them to the skillet, and cook in batches until browned on all sides, about six to eight minutes.
4. For Sauce
In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sauce ingredients until well combined. Heat the sauce gently over medium-low heat until warm. If the sauce seems too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water to thin it out.
How Will A Meatballs Without Breadcrumbs Look And Taste Like?
Meatballs without breadcrumbs are a gluten-free starters that might interest you. Without breadcrumbs, the meatballs will be a bit denser and more compact, but still moist and tender.
All the spices, seasonings and specially the sauce gives a great spicy kick to the meatballs. The parmesan cheese adds a nutty flavors and cheesy texture that will make you indulge in it more. So, overall, it’s a dish to savor for special occasions.
Meatballs Without Breadcrumbs
- Baking Sheet
- Take a large bowl.
- Put ground beef, ground lamb in the bowl and use your hands to mix it.
- Now add onion powder, garlic powder, egg, cheese, salt and pepper. Gently mix until well combined.
- Shape mixture with greased hands into evenly sides meatballs, about 1¼-inches each.
For Baked Meatballs:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- To make the meatballs in the oven, place them in a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
For Fried Meatballs:
- Take a large skillet.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoon of oil at medium-high heat.
- Cook the meatballs in batches until browned on all sides for about 6-8 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sauce ingredients.
- Heat the sauce gently over medium-low heat.
- If the sauce seems too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What can I use instead of breadcrumbs in meatballs?
There are various substitutes for breadcrumbs in meatballs, such as rolled oats, grated Parmesan cheese, cooked quinoa, or almond flour.
Will the meatballs hold together without breadcrumbs?
Yes! Meatballs can hold together without breadcrumbs. The eggs and other ingredients in the recipe help bind the meat mixture together.
Can I make meatballs without any binding agents?
Maybe! You can experiment with using other ingredients like mashed potatoes, cooked rice, or mashed beans to hold the meatballs together.
How can I add more flavor to meatballs?
To add more flavor to meatballs, use variety of herbs and spices, such as parsley, oregano, thyme, or cumin.
Meatballs without breadcrumbs can still be delicious and satisfying. They may have a different texture and flavor, but with the right combination of ingredients and seasonings, they can still be a fantastic addition to your meal. So, don’t be afraid to try making meatballs without breadcrumbs and see how you like them!