If you want to eat more tofu and have it be not only quick and easy but really delicious, read on. Here are 3 easy weeknight meals using tofu that will please even the meat-eaters in your house.
1. Tofu Tacos
This recipe makes 12 tacos.
Ingredients for Tofu Tacos
- One packet of firm tofu, 14 ounces
- 3 tablespoons paprika (smoked or spicy, your choice), divided
- 1 tablespoon chipotle paste
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or grated
- 2 cups + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 tortillas (flour or corn), warmed
- Chopped fresh cilantro, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, jalapeno peppers (for serving)
Method for Making Tofu Tacos
- First, drain the tofu. You can do this simply by placing it between two plates and pressing down hard. If you like convenience, get a tofu press like the one at tofubud, which will do the hard work for you.
- While the tofu is draining, combine 1 tablespoon of the paprika with the other spices and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large bowl.
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towels or a clean dishcloth, cut into cubes, and add to the paprika sauce. Stir to coat the cubes evenly.
- Whisk the cornstarch in another large bowl with the remaining 2 tablespoons of paprika and the salt.
- Now in a deep skillet or wok, heat the 2 cups of oil until it gets to 365 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating, tip the saucy tofu into the cornstarch mixture and combine gently to coat. Pop the tofu in a colander or strainer to get rid of any extra cornstarch.
- Tip the tofu cubes gently into the oil, occasionally stirring, till the cubes are crunchy and browned. This should take about three minutes.
- Remove tofu pieces with a slotted spoon and put onto a paper towel to drain away any excess oil.
- Serve over the warmed tortillas with the toppings.
2. Tofu Curry
This recipe serves 4.
Ingredients for Tofu Curry
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or ghee, if you wish)
- 4 medium onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 8 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- Seeds from 6 cardamom pods
- Two cans crushed tomatoes (15 ounces each)
- 1 cup water
- 18 ounces soft tofu, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
- 4 tablespoons almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Cooked rice, quinoa, buckwheat, or nan breads (for serving)
Method for Tofu Curry
- Heat the oil or ghee or oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions with 2 teaspoons sea salt and cook till the onions are well browned about 10 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, then cook for another minute before adding the rest of the spices. Stir constantly for a further 30 seconds.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes. Scrape the bottom of the pan for all of the browned bits of onion on the bottom. Add in the water, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or till the sauce has thickened and starts to splatter.
- Remove the pan from the stove. Let it cool for a few minutes. Then put the sauce into a blender (or a tall container for a hand blender) and blend till smooth.
- Put the sauce back into the pan, adding in the tofu. Stir over low heat till the tofu is warm. You don’t want to stir it too much, as soft tofu can crumble easily.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the brown sugar or honey, nut butter, and cream. Add more salt if desired, and serve over rice or another preferred grain. If serving with nan bread, serve the bread on the side.
3. Tofu Scramble
This recipe serves 3 people.
Ingredients for Tofu Scramble
- 1/4 pound fingerling potatoes, washed, cooked, and sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 9 ounces firm tofu, drained (see first recipe above)
- 6 ounces roasted peppers, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of your favorite cheese (e.g., cheddar, mozzarella)
- 1 tablespoon ready-made pesto sauce
- Crusty bread (optional, for serving)
Method for Tofu Scramble
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the sliced potatoes and cook over high heat till they are browned lightly (about 5 minutes).
- Crumble the tofu by hand as you add it to the pan. Add the roasted peppers and season with salt and pepper. Stir till everything is heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the cheese and pesto sauce, and stir more to melt the cheese.
- Transfer the scramble to a large plate and serve with crusty bread, if desired.
So this was it. These were the 3 Easy Weeknight Meals that you can make using Tofu.