McDonald’s oatmeal is among the most popular breakfast items on McDonald’s breakfast menu. It is delicious, healthy, and packed with flavors. So it’s safe to start your day fresh with this option. The best part is you can recreate this meal at home. You don’t have to go to McDonald’s to have this bowl. But how to make it? Worry not, as we’ve fool-proof recipe from our chef. So, stick with us to know more about this recipe.
The oatmeal recipe our chef tried, turned out perfect. It is balanced with rolled oats, diced apples, juicy fruits, crunchy nuts, and maple flavor. It was yummy, creamy, not overly sweet, and healthy. Pretty good for being a healthy and wholesome breakfast! Besides this, it’s incredibly easy to make.
The best thing to note is, you’re free to use any type of oats. We used rolled oats to achieve the desired texture while making this restaurant-style oatmeal recipe. Moreover, you can adjust the sweetness as per your taste and preferences for a healthier option.
So if you are looking for a quick, easy, and low-calorie breakfast option, try McDonald’s oatmeal. If you loved this, remember to look for other low-calorie healthy McDonald’s options in 2023 to try.
What's In The Post
Is This The Exact McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal Recipe?
Beating McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal takes work. It is better on its own. But I’ve tried making it at home, and the result is so close.
The only difference you may find is McDonald’s uses cream to thicken the meal, whereas we’ve used milk. Besides, our recipe has not used additives, preservatives, or flavor enhancers.
Is McDonald’s Oatmeal A Healthy Choice?
McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal is made with rolled oats, so it’s healthy to make it at home. However, this doesn’t mean it is entirely healthy, as it contains sugar and cream, which accounts for 310 calories. But, it is packed with more protein than many other fast-food options, such as hash browns and pancakes.
Undoubtedly this oatmeal is way better than your morning coffee. So, if you’re looking for something to eat this morning, it is better than any other McDonald’s breakfast menu.
Do McDonald’s Still Have Fruit And Maple Oatmeal On Their Menu?
According to McDonald’s official website, they still sell McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal for breakfast for customers. There have been rumors about the discontinuation of McDonald’s oatmeal, but it was never discontinued.
For the uninformed, McDonald’s introduced fruit and maple oatmeal in 2011. The fast-food giant emphasized more on this oatmeal in its advertising than any other option in quick-service restaurants. The customers criticize it for unnecessarily adding sugar to it.
Keeping the customers’ reviews in mind, McDonald’s revised the recipe in 2014 and reduced the amount of sugar from nine teaspoons to two-and-a-half teaspoons. Then, the rest is history. So yes, you can grab a bowl of McDonald’s oatmeal for a light snack for $1.99 a whole day.
Equipment Required For McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal
- Pot – Prepare the oatmeal in the pot for a few minutes until cooked.
- Knife – Dice red and Granny Smith apples into small cubes with a knife.
- Chopping Board – Chop the apples on a chopping board so; you don’t cut yourself.
- Spatula – Stir the oatmeal mixture with a spatula to ensure it is well combined.
What Do McDonald’s Put In Their Fruit And Maple Oatmeal?
- Rolled Oats – Rolled oats will lend a milder flavor and a softer texture to the recipe.
- Milk – We have used milk to thicken the oatmeal, adding richness.
- Maple Syrup – Drizzle maple syrup over the oatmeal to add a clean and complex flavor with caramel hints.
- Water – Pour water into a bowl of oats to have a more textured, toothsome oatmeal.
- Apples – Add chopped red delicious and Granny Smith apples to the meal for a sweet but mild flavor with a light crispness.
- Raisins – Adding raisins to the oats will provide the recipe with a sweet and fruity flavor you love.
- Craisins – Add craisins to give the oatmeal a sour and sweet taste with a hint of sweetness.
- Nuts – To give the oatmeal a nutty flavor and crunchiness, add nuts.
- White Sugar – Add white sugar to get the sweetness you’re craving. In case you don’t want to add white sugar, substitute it with the brown sugar.
McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal Ingredients Substitutions
All of the ingredients our chef has used are quite basic. But here’s a potential ingredient substitute if you’re having trouble tracking them. I’ve written down some options for you to think about:
- Oats – There is no specific variety of oats that must be used. Oats can be used in any form, whether rolled, quick, or instant. However, cooking time might slightly change.
- Fruit – Don’t rely on applesauce for that sweetness. You can use any other fruit instead, such as sliced bananas, berries, peaches, or your favorite.
- Brown Sugar – We’ve added brown sugar to sweeten this McDonald’s oatmeal. You can also use other natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, or even a pinch of stevia for that exact flavor.
- Milk Or Cream – You may get the same creamy effect by using milk, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, or any other alternative to light cream that McDonald’s has used.
- Topping – Elevate your meal by topping it with chopped nuts (such as almonds or walnuts), dried fruits (such as cranberries or apricots), seeds (such as chia seeds or flaxseeds), coconut flakes, or spices like cinnamon or nutmeg.
Does McDonald’s Put Cream In Their Fruit And Maple Oatmeal?
Yes, McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal is prepared with light cream. They use soft cream to thicken up the oatmeal. The cream McDonald’s uses is dairy-based cream, which is not vegan. However, if you want to make vegan oatmeal, use dairy-free cream.
Besides this, you can substitute light cream with milk, half and half, or heavy cream if it is what you have. However, the results may affect the overall flavor but will maintain the enjoyment.
Using half and half will thicken the oatmeal, adding richness. In comparison adding milk to water will yield a creamy and not-gluey bowl of oatmeal. Don’t add milk alone; otherwise, your oatmeal will become stickier and thicker.
What Oatmeal Does McDonald’s Use?
McDonald’s uses 100% whole-grain rolled oats in McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal. These are the perfect type of oatmeal that absorbs the liquid quickly compared to other types of oatmeal and provide a smooth texture that makes it easy to eat. McDonald’s uses these oats in other oatmeal recipes in addition to the fruit and maple oatmeal.
For the uninformed, various types of oatmeal can be used in multiple dishes. The most popular types of oatmeal are quick oats, rolled oats, steel-cut oats, and instant oats. Steel-cut oats are whole-grain oats that have been chopped into pieces, while rolled oats have been steamed and flattened.
McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal Preparation And Cooking Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|10 Minutes||5 Minutes||15 Minutes|
McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal Recipe Steps
Step 1- Place the rolled oats in a pot.
Step 2- Add one cup of water to the pot until dipped.
Step 3- Pour half a cup of milk into the pot.
Step 4- Stir the mixture together until it is thickened with a spatula.
Step 5- Add two tablespoons of white sugar to get the recipe closer to McDonald’s.
Step 6- Once it is combined, stir the maple syrup into the oatmeal and add toppings of your choice.
Step 7- Your McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal is ready.
Tips To Make McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal Better
McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal is fulfilling on its own. There’s no need to add anything, but if you are still looking to enhance its flavor, here are some tips to follow:
- Oats – You are free to use any oats like, rolled, oats, steel-cut, or ground oats.
- Add Nuts – To make this meal crunchy, add a handful of chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or pecans.
- Fresh Fruits – Since this homemade version of McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal typically includes diced apples, you can add fresh fruits like sliced bananas, strawberries, blueberries, or peaches. It will add natural sweetness to the meal.
- Cinnamon – We’ve sprinkled brown sugar over the oatmea for added sweetness. However, you can sprinkle a teaspoon of cinnamon powder to add warmth and depth of flavor.
- Yogurt – Besides cream, consider topping your oatmeal with a dollop of Greek yogurt or your favorite yogurt flavor. It complements best with oatmeal, providing sweetness to each bite.
- Honey – If you can’t find maple syrup, don’t worry. Drizzle some honey over the top. It will enhance the sweetness.
- Coconut Flakes – To improve this oatmeal, add toasted coconut flakes for a tropical twist.
Chia Seeds Or Flaxseeds – Boost the oatmeal by adding a spoonful of chia or flax seeds, rich in essential nutrients.
How Will This McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal Look And Taste Like?
This homemade version of McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal is delicious and healthy. Of course, it cannot beat the original recipe, but it is worth trying. It is a hearty and comforting bowl for those looking for a quick breakfast on the go.
When you taste it, you will realize it is slightly sweet, thanks to adding brown sugar. Besides this, it is creamy and fulfilling. Since milk is cooked until thickened with water, making it a satisfying and tasty breakfast option. Adding fruits like grapes, cranberries, raisins, and pomegranates will boost your day if you’re health conscious.
McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal Toppings Options
This homemade version of McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal is way more delicious than the original. Another thing is it comes with a packet of brown sugar, but you can also add other toppings. I’ve added a list of a few topping options you can include on the McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal:
- Diced Fruits – You can serve your oatmeal with chunks of fresh fruits to provide a fruity and crunchy texture.
- Dried Berries – You can add a tangy flavor to the meal with sweetened dried berries.
- Raisins – McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal can be served by topping it with plump and juicy raisins.
- Light Cream – A dollop of soft cream over the oatmeal will add a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Brown Sugar – A sprinkle of brown sugar will also work for those who prefer a touch of sweetness in their oatmeal.
- Nuts – Adding nuts to the meal will add a nutty taste to each crunchy bite.
So, these are the basic topping options for McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal if making it at home. However, it would help to connect with the store manager for additional or alternative toppings if ordering for the store.
McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal Calories
Like every food, McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal has various nutritional benefits if you enjoy a cup. Since it has added cream, it means higher cholesterol levels and saturated fats, but it is an excellent high-fiber food. However, it is advised to go for this treatment occasionally.
If you want to know more about its nutritional value, check out these values. Also, remember to look at McDonald’s nutritional menu.
Is This McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal Vegan And Gluten Free?
McDonald’s oatmeal is unsuitable for vegans as it contains dairy products like cream and milk. However, you can use a dairy-free cream instead to make it vegan. But don’t be disheartened; as there are plenty of options, you can check out McDonald’s Vegan Menu 2023 | All Vegan Options Explained if you need something vegan.
Talking about whether it’s gluten-free or not, McDonald’s has yet to confirm if their oatmeal is 100% free from gluten contamination due to its food preparation processes. Since this oatmeal doesn’t contain wheat. However, oats are a common ingredient that may get cross-contaminated with gluten ingredients.
But don’t worry. McDonald’s always satisfies customers, so they have options for gluten-free meals. You can check the options at McDonald’s gluten-free/allergen menu.
So, if you are gluten intolerant or allergic to something, you don’t need to worry, as McDonald’s allergic guide is there to help you while selecting the right items. Still, if you cannot find something gluten-free or nonallergic, check out McDonald’s allergen menu. It is undoubtedly going to save you time.
How To Store This McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal?
It is best to consume fruit and maple oatmeal right away. However, if you want to store McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal, below are the best ways:
- Cool The Oatmeal – If you want to store cooked oatmeal, allow it to cool down at room temperature to prevent condensation and maintain its texture.
- Use An Airtight Container – Transfer the cooked oatmeal to an airtight clean, dry container once cooled down.
- Refrigerate Promptly – Place the sealed container in the refrigerator at a colder temperature to prevent bacterial growth.
- Consume Within A Few Days – It is suggested to consume McDonald’s oatmeal within five days of preparation.
- Reheat When Ready To Eat – To enjoy the cooked oatmeal, scoop out the desired portion from the container and heat it in the microwave or stovetop until it reaches your desired temperature.
Other Similar McDonald’s Recipes To Try
So, we have reached the end of this recipe. Now, you don’t need to hop at McDonald’s for fruit and maple oatmeal. This recipe is very close to the McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal recipe we can make at home.
But if you want to try some more McDonald’s healthy recipes like McDonald’s Strawberry Banana Smoothie, McDonald’s Southwest Salad, McDonald’s Mango Pineapple Smoothie Recipe, and McDonald’s Parfait recipe, you can check them too. Also, we have a separate post on McDonald’s copycat recipes that you should check out.
McDonald’s Fruit And Maple Oatmeal Recipe
- Chopping Board
- ½ cup Rolled Oats
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tablespoons Apples
- 1 teaspoon Raisins
- ½ teaspoon Craisins
- ½ teaspoon Nuts
- 2 tablespoons White Sugar
- Place the rolled oats in a pot.
- Add one cup of water to the pot until dipped.
- Pour half a cup of milk into the pot.
- Stir the mixture together until it is thickened with a spatula.
- Add two tablespoons of white sugar to get the recipe closer to McDonald’s.
- Once it is combined, stir the maple syrup into the oatmeal and add toppings of your choice.
- Your McDonald's Fruit And Maple Oatmeal is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal vegan?
McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal is not vegan as it contains cream. However, McDonald’s oatmeal is vegetarian.
Is McDonald’s oatmeal good for weight loss?
No, McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal is not a healthy option if you want to lose weight as it contains sugar and is high in calories. Besides this, it has cream, which drives fat content, creating a hurdle in losing weight.
Can you eat McDonald’s oatmeal every day?
No, you can’t eat McDonald’s oatmeal daily as it is high in calories. However, the choice is entirely up to you.
How much does McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal cost?
McDonald’s oatmeal is about $1.99 and is available all day.
So, this was all about McDonald’s fruit and maple oatmeal. It is the perfect choice if you’re looking for a light and healthy breakfast. The sweet, fruity, and creamy flavor of brown sugar, diced fruits, and cream makes it impossible to resist.
Though it is not the exact recipe, the ingredients used in this recipe are flavorful. This recipe is sure to try and trust me, you’ll not need to stand in the queue to grab a bowl of deliciousness. If you liked this recipe, share your views in the comment section.