If you like some heat in your mustard, McDonald’s hot mustard is the perfect sauce for you. This McDonald’s hot mustard has the bitter, peppery taste of mustard combined with cayenne pepper. It also has a bit of tang and a subtle sweetness making it one of the best McDonald’s sauces.
The sauce is often paired with McDonald’s nuggets or McDonald’s fries. It is for the people who love a bit of spicy kick in their food. The flavor wakes your taste buds up. McDonald’s hot mustard also goes great with hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, and hashbrowns.
The McDonald’s menu has a lot of sauces and dips options available; this is not among them. It has a strong and robust flavor and a stronger and pungent aroma. It even has a bold brownish-red color. When you buy the sauce from the McDonald’s menu, the pairing options are limited.
But when you make this sauce at home, you open a world to new possibilities. The sauce works for a lot of things. What, you ask? Keep reading, and I’ll tell you how to make the sauce and use it in the best possible way with all the recipe steps and a detailed recipe video.
Did McDonald’s Discontinue Hot Mustard?
Yes, McDonald’s discontinued their hot mustard sauce in 2015, along with some sauces like the sweet chili and the Chipotle BBQ sauce.
Even though the hot mustard was discontinued on a national level, it was still available in the outlets for years to come.
The sauce is now on the list of McDonald’s discontinued items, but you can very easily recreate the sauce at home with the help of our copycat recipe.
Is McDonald’s Hot Mustard & Honey Mustard The Same?
No, McDonald’s hot mustard and honey mustard sauce are not the same thing. One might be a little confused as both sauces have mustard as their primary ingredient, but the rest of the recipe is completely different.
For instance, honey mustard contains two kinds of mustard, yellow and Dijon, while hot mustard only has one; yellow. Hot mustard doesn’t contain mayonnaise and is as creamy as honey mustard. Instead, hot mustard has a very strong flavor.
Hot mustard is for people who want to add a spicy kick to their food, while honey mustard is for the ones who want to add a warm, sweet, peppery, but mellow flavor to their food.
If you’re curious about the McDonald’s honey mustard recipe, you can find it here.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Hot Mustard Sauce?
- Bowl – Make the hot mustard sauce in a bowl.
- Whisk – Mix everything with a whisk or a spoon. Here, we have used a whisk for a smooth and creamy texture.
Ingredients To Make McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce?
- Yellow Mustard – Take two tablespoons of yellow mustard for the base of the hot mustard sauce.
- Soy Sauce – Add a teaspoon of soy sauce for a savory and slightly umami taste.
- Corn syrup – Corn syrup adds a hint of sweetness to the hot mustard sauce.
- White Vinegar – You can add tart and zesty flavors with a teaspoon of white vinegar.
- Mustard Powder – Mustard powder enhances the warm peppery flavor of the mustard.
- Cayenne Pepper – It wouldn’t be hot mustard without heat. A quarter of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper will add heat to the mustard sauce.
McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce Ingredients Substitutions
- Yellow Mustard – If you don’t have yellow mustard, you can easily use brown mustard in the recipe. You can also use Dijon mustard if you want.
- Corn Syrup – If you don’t have corn syrup, you can add a little bit of maple syrup. But you should use it in a lesser amount as it is very thick and can make your sauce too sweet.
- White Vinegar – A good substitute for white vinegar in the recipe is apple cider vinegar which adds a nice tang without overwhelming the taste.
- Cayenne Pepper – If you don’t have cayenne pepper, you can also use paprika powder to make your hot mustard sauce.
McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce Preparation Time
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||–||5 Minutes|
Steps To Make McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce
Step 1- In a bowl, add yellow mustard.
Step 2- Then, add cayenne pepper, mustard powder, and soy sauce to the bowl.
Step 3- After that, add corn syrup and white vinegar.
Step 4- Give all the ingredients a good mix using a whisk.
Step 5- Your McDonald’s hot mustard recipe is ready!
McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce Recipe Video
Here is a detailed recipe video for this McDonald’s hot mustard sauce recipe that you should definitely check out.
What Does McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce Taste Like?
The McDonald’s hot mustard sauce has a very strong and pungent aroma courtesy of the yellow mustard and the mustard powder.
The sauce has the bitter and peppery taste of mustard and the hot and spicy taste of cayenne pepper. You also notice a little tang and acidity from the vinegar and a slight sweetness from the corn syrup.
McDonald’s hot mustard doesn’t have a creamy texture because of the absence of mayonnaise. Instead, it has a grainy texture with an almost runny consistency.
The yellow mustard, the red cayenne pepper, and soy sauce give the sauce its brownish-red hue. If you love mustard and spice, this sauce might end up becoming your favorite.
McDonald’s Hot Mustard Nutritional Facts
|Sodium||311. 3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.0 g|
If you’d like to know about the nutritional values of other McDonald’s food, then do check out our blog that we’ve written on it.
Where Can You Use This Hot Mustard Sauce?
The sauce is discontinued at McDonald’s. So, if you make this sauce at home, you can pair it with your favorite fries and nuggets from McDonald’s.
It also makes for an amazing meat marinade. You just need to cover the meat or chicken with the hot mustard and then cook it as you like. Yes, it also goes great with steaks. You can also use it as a rub for pan-seared fish.
Mix the sauce with some vinegar, and you have a spicy vinaigrette for your salads. Mix it with some mayonnaise or sour cream, and you have a luscious salad and burger dressing.
The hot mustard pairs well with hot chicken wings if you want to make things even spicier. You can also add it to stir-fries if you want. As I said, there are endless possibilities.
How To Properly Store This McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce?
If you keep the hot mustard sauce at room temperature, it’ll last not more than one day. The best way to store this hot mustard sauce is to refrigerate it.
If you keep it in a bowl, it can last for a week in the fridge. But the game changes when you bring in an air-tight container. Store the sauce in a clean, dry, air-tight container; the hot mustard sauce lasts up to 6 months.
Other McDonald’s Sauce That You Can Try Too
I am sure you liked this copycat McDonald’s hot mustard sauce recipe. If you did, we have a catalog of McDonald’s copycat recipes you can choose from.
Some of the best sauces that I recommend you trying are McDonald’s Habanero Sauce, McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce, and McDonald’s Sweet And Sour Sauce, McDonald’s Breakfast Sauce, and McDonald’s Special Big Mac Sauce.
McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Corn Syrup
- 1 tablespoon White Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Mustard Powder
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is McDonald’s hot mustard made of?
McDonald’s hot mustard sauce is prepared by adding corn syrup, vinegar, mustard powder, soy sauce, sea salt, and cayenne pepper.
2. What happened to McDonald’s hot mustard sauce?
McDonald’s stopped serving hot mustard sauce in 2015.
3. Can you buy McDonald’s dipping sauces?
Yes, if you wish to get some extra dipping sauces, you can buy them from the restaurant.
4. What is the hottest mustard?
The hottest mustard is black seeded mustard. It is commonly referred to as the hottest type of mustard due to its spicy components.